Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by DSI
Uh oh, I just paid for one of their pre-paid, non-refundable, reservations at 110 a pop. Are they casual enough to allow for shorts?

I'm not a big fan of hipster cool either, as it too comes off as a bit pretentious to me.
Well, keep in mind that I'm only a data point of one. Since you're already committed I would just say go with an open mind and prepare to be blown away. It happens.

As for shorts, lots of replies on TA that indicate the restaurant won't care a bit. To be on the safe side I would call first.

Hopefully you're reservation isn't for today - scorcher outside, at least for here, and for those of us stuck working in offices without air conditioning.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:20 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
If you're asking for a fine dining recommendation for London, outside of The Ledbury, Dinner, and presumably the two threes-stars, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay and Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, I have had excellent meals at each of the following and fully recommend them (presuming you make the decision to pack appropriate clothes):

Angler
The Five Fields
Marianne
Club Gascon
The Typing Room
Petrus
Chez Bruce
Restaurant Story
Texture
The Greenhouse
Pollen Street Social
Helene Darozze at the Connaught

If you want more casual recommendations for other cuisines, happy to supply some of those also. I can also supply an equally long list of local fine dining restaurants where I have not had noteworthy meals
Shorts were just fine at pollen street social last night. It was superb and great for our seven year old son, with whom I split the duck. I wonder shorts in London might be the equivalent of tank tops in the us, in which case I'm even more trashy than I thought I was!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by DSI
Shorts were just fine at pollen street social last night. It was superb and great for our seven year old son, with whom I split the duck. I wonder shorts in London might be the equivalent of tank tops in the us, in which case I'm even more trashy than I thought I was!
Was the restaurant full? Last week I ate at Wild Honey, former 1 star just around the corner from there, and it was half full at 8:00 pm. Was also told by vendors at one of the markets that London is deader right now than at any time in recent memory.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Aug 11, 2017 at 6:57 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Was the restaurant full? Last week I ate at Wild Honey, 1 star just around the corner from there, and it was half full at 8:00 pm. Was also told by vendors at one of the markets that London is deader right now than at any time in recent memory.
Sorry to object but Wild Honey lost its star in 2016.
https://www.viamichelin.de/web/Suche...y-199212-41102
https://www.thecaterer.com/articles/...16-restaurants
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
My bad then - thanks for the correction. Somehow I missed that.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:55 am
DSI

It seemed pretty full. Great place!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by DSI
It seemed pretty full. Great place!
Great saucing. Last time I was scraping my plate
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

My bad then - thanks for the correction. Somehow I missed that.
VisitedWild Honey a few years ago so I could remember that I read something about the delation.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:04 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Has anyone been to Five Fields recently?

It's been over a year since I went and, while it was good, it wasn't quite as good as their opening year when I stumbled across them a short walk from our hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Has anyone been to Five Fields recently?

It's been over a year since I went and, while it was good, it wasn't quite as good as their opening year when I stumbled across them a short walk from our hotel.
I was last at Five Fields two years ago. I thought the food was stunning, but in reviewing my notes I see that I wasn't impressed with the wine pairing.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:15 am
DSI

Dining at l'arpege. They don't even have a dress code, but I decided not to push my luck with shorts.

The overall dress seems more casual in Paris than in London on the streets, while the reverse seems true in restaurants.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DSI
Dining at l'arpege. They don't even have a dress code, but I decided not to push my luck with shorts.

The overall dress seems more casual in Paris than in London on the streets, while the reverse seems true in restaurants.
Have a reservation in 2 months. How was your experience?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:51 pm
DSI

It was great! Now, we only went to lunch, which I understand is not quite the full experience, but I still enjoyed it. I was pleased to find that only one diner had a jacket on; it's not a highly formal place and they were super friendly to our son. The wine list seemed absurdly overpriced, which I didn't like.

I probably could have worn my trusty shorts, but didn't.

My favorite place is still Epicure by quite a bit in Paris.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DSI
It was great! Now, we only went to lunch, which I understand is not quite the full experience, but I still enjoyed it. I was pleased to find that only one diner had a jacket on; it's not a highly formal place and they were super friendly to our son. The wine list seemed absurdly overpriced, which I didn't like.

I probably could have worn my trusty shorts, but didn't.

My favorite place is still Epicure by quite a bit in Paris.
Thanks. Go also for Lunch. As I don´t drink alcohol wine-list is not my problem

Think at the Moment what to do on one free evening. It´s between Kei and Le Pré Catelan.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:26 pm

Has any dined at Indian Accent in NYC recently? I know the original location in New Delhi (#30 Best in Asia) is highly praised, wondering how this outpost compares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.