Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I believe that this thread is more appropriate in the Dining Buzz Forum.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
I mostly know NYC-Restaurants and Michelin never guided me wrong.
IMHO
- Daniel & Jean Gorge will have no more than one star in Paris.
- #5 for Eleven Madison is a joke. I found Gordon Ramsay with only 2 stars MUCH better than Eleven Madison
- #24 for Robuchon in Paris is the biggest joke ever, fine dining is now at the counter.
- Robuchon HK : plastic bottle of sparkling water, at the counter with 3 michelin stars....
- Caprice HK : Worth zero star , maybe one star if you have a window table for the view
- #23 astrance : is better than Ducasse in Paris and Monaco... strange

Im my opinion the best restaurant of all above is Epicure at the Bristol Paris and is not on the "water" list

Michelin especially outside of France is often completely wrong (not to mention 2 stars for "Bo innovation" in HK),
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:17 pm

We will be dining at Attica here in Melbourne end of next month, so that was good timing with the booking
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:34 pm

Made a reservation at Steirereck Restaurant in Vienna #9

Have anybody dined there recently?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by prawn86
We will be dining at Attica here in Melbourne end of next month, so that was good timing with the booking
Attica and young kiwi chef Ben Shewry are brilliant. Best in Oz, IMO. Have a great meal.

Just looked over the list and there are a lot of solid choices there...I've been to ## 5, 8, 15, 19, 21, 44, 47 and 48. Tokyo in June. Will need to try one of the places there, I think.

--mcz

Last edited by mczlaw; Apr 30, 2013 at 11:09 pm Reason: Update
Old May 1, 2013, 3:49 am

This and the Michelin guide are an insult to my tastebuds and general intellect.
I have dined at a number of these restaurants and a large number of Michelin ones spanning the US, Hong Kong and Europe and 9 out of 10 times I leave feeling disappointed.

I often find the food to be fairly good but when I see countries, mostly Australia and specifically Melbourne, where Michelin hasn't ventured I am left scratching my head. There are restaurants I turn my nose up at in Melbourne that are better than a number of Michelin restaurants I have eaten at.

Basically I am saying that Michelins standards are low compared to places that aren't even included in their ranking.

Dine in Melbourne, it will change your philosophy of food.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
[QUOTE=cedricgerald;20677786]IMHO
[QUOTE]

Have to disagree. Both earn their 3 Stars in my eyes. I´m not a big fan of Paris restaurants. First the extended use of Foi Gras and other ...., second they often have an arrogance problem
Old May 1, 2013, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by 747-444
This and the Michelin guide are an insult to my tastebuds and general intellect.
I have dined at a number of these restaurants and a large number of Michelin ones spanning the US, Hong Kong and Europe and 9 out of 10 times I leave feeling disappointed.

I often find the food to be fairly good but when I see countries, mostly Australia and specifically Melbourne, where Michelin hasn't ventured I am left scratching my head. There are restaurants I turn my nose up at in Melbourne that are better than a number of Michelin restaurants I have eaten at.

Basically I am saying that Michelins standards are low compared to places that aren't even included in their ranking.

Dine in Melbourne, it will change your philosophy of food.
Although i havent eaten at many Michelin restaurants so dont have a representative sample size, i have to agree. Melbs is packed full of amazing places to eat, and the best part is they know what they are and dont try to be something else.

Want silver service? Go to Jacques Reymond.
Want one of the best burgers in the World? Go to Jus Burgers
Italian? Il Solito Posto
Greek? Too many to list

The list goes on and on, i am astounded by the fact there is no Michelin ratings in Australia when the whole country has one of the best foodie scenes in the World, with a huge focus on sustainability and paddock to plate, healthy dining
Old May 1, 2013, 9:17 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by offerendum
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
IMHO
Have to disagree. Both earn their 3 Stars in my eyes. I´m not a big fan of Paris restaurants. First the extended use of Foi Gras and other ...., second they often have an arrogance problem

Definitely agree re: Daniel & JG (except I'd put Jean Georges way lower than Daniel) and I'm a weekly regular. For me it mostly comes down to ingredients, which are generally better/different tasting in Europe.

And as far as "foie gras & arrogance problem" - this is the silliest thing I've read in a while when describing dissatisfaction with Paris restaurants lol

What's wrong with foie gras, btw?
Old May 2, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Very happy to see the likes In de Wulf and Hertog Jan on the list. A couple of goodies there. Marque dropping out is disappointing. I definitely need to get down to Melbourne to try out Attica.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:32 am

Interesting to see Noma drop from the #1 spot this year. They have held it since El Bulli declined to be on the list anymore.

I've only been to a few on the list, and Asador Etxebarri has been my favorite meal ever. It was an amazingly simple showcase of the best ingredients in the world, cooked to perfection. No need for sauces or anything else, just simple perfection. It was a contrast to Arzak, which I tried on the same trip, and was full of innovation and complexity.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelMutt
Interesting to see Noma drop from the #1 spot this year.
Might the 'food poisoning' incident they experienced have a little something to do with it? Methinks yes!
Old May 2, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Very happy to see the likes In de Wulf and Hertog Jan on the list. A couple of goodies there. Marque dropping out is disappointing. I definitely need to get down to Melbourne to try out Attica.
Sad to say, last Oz trip (sheesh! has it been a year already?), Marque was big disappointment. Porteno was my fave in Sydney and Quay was excellent--but paled relative to Attica. Very laid back atmosphere but equally elevated cuisine.

--mcz
Old May 2, 2013, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Sad to say, last Oz trip (sheesh! has it been a year already?), Marque was big disappointment. Porteno was my fave in Sydney and Quay was excellent--but paled relative to Attica. Very laid back atmosphere but equally elevated cuisine.

--mcz
Sepia is my fav Syd restaurant. Marque is as you say over-rated.
Old May 2, 2013, 9:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Gentle reminder: political topics are to be discussed in OMNI/PR

Thanks!

cblaisd, Moderator, Dining Buzz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.