Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:29 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Strong

I'm a fan of Robuchon at Saint Germain. However, at times I believe that Robuchon in Hong Kong is a tad better when it comes to service.

Robuchon fans in Hong Kong certainly have a choice of outlets with Le Jardin, L'Atelier and 2 Salon de Thés (at Landmark and now at IFC).

I found the Atelier in Hongers quite disappointing - 3 Michelin star with prices to match, but service and food much of a muchness compared to other 1 or 2 star Ateliers around the world. Upstairs at the London branch is a significantly more refined atmosphere, for example.

It's also the only wine list at which I've ever personally been shocked at the markup on the wines, which for those who know me is really saying something.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Anyone has tried the one in Macau ? (with a proper table service ))

If you like good service you won't be disappointed with the one in Monaco (2 Michelin stars and better than HK in all respects)
Macao looked great, but it was impossible to get a table.

Monaco was a nice change - it was much more traditional than the usual Ateliers and done very well.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
[QUOTE=EuropeanPete;21572130] Upstairs at the London branch is a significantly more refined atmosphere, for example.
QUOTE]

I like the Atelier in London.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
at the end of the day, we always come back to the same point : you get what you paid for

Seating on a stool, especially close to another person (seems I'm eating in an economic seat on a plane)

Even if the food would be the best in the world (which is not the case), this setting does NOT deserve 3 stars (zero star IMHO)

Maybe I'm stupid and I don't understand the "concept" (what is the concept by the way)
I prefer the one in the 7th to the 8th.. Even when I went to the 8th and asked for my favorite seasonal salad, they didn't have it, they called the 7th and got it, it wasn't the same.

I do agree that sitting on a stool bar doesn't merit a star, though the 7th added a small room with proper tables. I like going there when dining alone, I get to sit at the bar and watch the chefs and talk to the servers.

Too bad they still haven't opened one in NY.

And I don't feel that the one in London matches the one in the 7th.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
at the end of the day, we always come back to the same point : you get what you paid for

Seating on a stool, especially close to another person (seems I'm eating in an economic seat on a plane)

Even if the food would be the best in the world (which is not the case), this setting does NOT deserve 3 stars (zero star IMHO)

Maybe I'm stupid and I don't understand the "concept" (what is the concept by the way)
I prefer the one in the 7th to the 8th.. Even when I went to the 8th and asked for my favorite seasonal salad, they didn't have it, they called the 7th and got it, it wasn't the same.

I do agree that sitting on a stool bar doesn't merit a star, though the 7th added a small room with proper tables. I like going there when dining alone, I get to sit at the bar and watch the chefs and talk to the servers.

Too bad they still haven't opened one in NY.

And I don't feel that the one in London matches the one in the 7th.
Yes. There was one in NY but it closed a while ago. I thought It was quite outstanding. Food wise comparable to anyplace in NY.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Yes. There was one in NY but it closed a while ago. I thought It was quite outstanding. Food wise comparable to anyplace in NY.
It closed a couple of years ago.. it was at the Four Season hotel. They made the season salad that I love as similar as the one in the 7th... Unfortunately they couldn't agree with Ty Warner and closed up. Now, from what I understand , they are in negotiations on a location on 5th by the Village.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Macao looked great, but it was impossible to get a table.
The MO concierge in HK booked me a table without any problem. I unfortunately had to cancel my trip
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Monaco was a nice change - it was much more traditional than the usual Ateliers and done very well.
Yes they used to have an all table service (no stool) in "La Table" avenue Bugeaud in Paris but they closed it to move to an "atelier" Champs Elysees.
Same price, same food, same quality but very limited table and a very large counter

Monaco : anyone tried the Japonese robuchon restaurant (same hotel metropole and 1 michelin star, but the hotel said that you don't have free parking eating there)

Also anyone tried Ducasse at the Meurice ? Not sure if they have been Michelin rated, so it's probably the most expensive zero michelin star
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you know, all Robuchon restaurants around the world are independent and none of them are owed by Joel Robuchon (even the one in Paris)
Would love to know if he has some shares in the restaurant or only usage name fees
Are you sure? Just had lunch there and asked the lady who bring you the bill, the blond polish lady who owned the resto (7th) and she said Joel of course.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

people prefer having fancy interiors built into cost of dining? because they are.

if you dont know if he has shares, how do you know he is not majority owner of any?
that he has licensed his name does not address ownership and management of all.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:39 pm

Are you sure? Just had lunch there and asked the lady who bring you the bill, the blond polish lady who owned the resto (7th) and she said Joel of course.
You make me doubt, I have made a quick search on the web and I do confirm he's not the owner . It even seems that Montalembert and Champs Elysee have different ownership. (but again not Jojo )

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
people prefer having fancy interiors built into cost of dining? because they are.

if you dont know if he has shares, how do you know he is not majority owner of any?
that he has licensed his name does not address ownership and management of all.
You're correct, after my quick search I confirmed that he doesn't own them.

When he closed his restaurant in Paris, a staff of a current restaurant told me that he's happier now since he doesn't need to work every day and this is now different for him.

I easily understand that it doesn't look good that a restaurant called "Smith" is not owned by Smith, especially when the "Smith" is Robuchon

In Vegas there are numerous well known chefs, does most of them own their restaurants and just renting the space ?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You make me doubt, I have made a quick search on the web and I do confirm he's not the owner . It even seems that Montalembert and Champs Elysee have different ownership. (but again not Jojo )

You're correct, after my quick search I confirmed that he doesn't own them.
Interesting..Then when the one on the Champs opened, did they bring the chef and some of the equip from the one in the 7th? Patrick the maitre moved to the Champs from the 7th. If they are owned by separate entities then why mix the employees?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:30 am

Are they definitely not just different vehicles, each with partial Robuchon ownership? The different Ateliers definitely share updates to the menu and, I've also seen a lot of movement of staff between the restaurants.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I prefer the one in the 7th to the 8th.. Even I like going there when dining alone, I get to sit at the bar and watch the chefs and talk to the servers.
This is actually a very Japanese concept for gourmet level restaurants, although I'm not sure where the great man got his idea for the Atelier concept.

And I prefer they keep that, one not unimportant reason being stated above. I would feel rather uneasy dining alone in a traditional haute cuisine restaurant when travelling.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosburger
This is actually a very Japanese concept for gourmet level restaurants, although I'm not sure where the great man got his idea for the Atelier concept.

And I prefer they keep that, one not unimportant reason being stated above. I would feel rather uneasy dining alone in a traditional haute cuisine restaurant when travelling.
Humm, I, personally wouldn't consider L'Atalier to be THAT haute cuisine. The food is very good, but the atmosphere doesn't make it that, at least to me.

Case in point, I went there yesterday dressed in my semi gym clothes..No sports shoes, but my top was definitely left on after sports. I just felt like eating the tomato salad and I know the season is about to finish very soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.