Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need BBQ Help - Kansas City Airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Need BBQ Help - Kansas City Airport

I'll be arriving at the Kansas City International Airport @ about 7:15PM and very hungry for some BBQ ribs. I've never been to the area but I know the BBQ reputation. I've checked out a couple of websites that review and rate the BBQ places but my problem is that I have no geographical sense of the area. Here's the thing: I'll be renting a car and driving to Topeka so I'm looking for a place that isn't too far off the KC airport-Topeka path with the additional proviso that the quicker I sink my teeth into some ribs the better.

Thank-you.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:14 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by edknees
I'll be arriving at the Kansas City International Airport @ about 7:15PM and very hungry for some BBQ ribs. I've never been to the area but I know the BBQ reputation. I've checked out a couple of websites that review and rate the BBQ places but my problem is that I have no geographical sense of the area. Here's the thing: I'll be renting a car and driving to Topeka so I'm looking for a place that isn't too far off the KC airport-Topeka path with the additional proviso that the quicker I sink my teeth into some ribs the better.

Thank-you.
Well, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that outside of Memphis, KC does have the best ribs around.

The bad news is that they don't lie between the airport and Topeka, as far as I know. The airport is in what is known as "the Northland." The Northland has barbeque places, but the best ones and the ones worth going to if you're a visitor to KC are downtown or south of downtown -- which you would not normally pass through on an MCI-Topeka drive.

Depending on what you like, I would recommend the following:

1. Jack's Stack

http://jackstackbbq.com

My personal favorite. Incidentally, the one at 101 W. 22nd (the only possible one from MCI to Topeka) is right next to Lidia's, one of KC's better restaurants, by Lidia Bastiche (she has her own cooking show on PBS).

2. Arthur Bryant's

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

One of the two most famous (see # 3 for the other). Good stuff. The "Kansas Speedway" location might actually lie pretty well between MCI and Topeka, but I haven't been to that one.

Now -- there is also an Arthur Bryant's in the airport, but I have three significant limitations. 1. I doubt if it serves ribs -- it's much more likely that it just does sandwiches and chicken. 2. Even if it does, it's not going to be as good as a stand-alone store. 3. MCI is split into three distinct terminals which are only accessible to each other by bus. If AB is not in the terminal you arrive in, it's just going to be to inconvenient to get to.

3. Gate's

http://www.gatesbbq.com/

One of the originals. A little too spicy for me, I'm more on the sweet ribs, but most of the KC natives I know like it the best. The KCK location (last one listed) will be your best bet geographically, but not in the best neighborhood.

Good luck and good eating!
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:43 pm

Arthur Bryant's is on the way

The KS Speedway Arthur Bryant's is on the way from KC International to Topeka. Travel South on I- 435 (from MCI you have to go about one mile north on I29 before you run into I-435 South.) Exit I-435 when you see Nebraska Furniture Mart (about one mile north of the exit to I-70 West going to Topeka).
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by cdfev
The KS Speedway Arthur Bryant's is on the way from KC International to Topeka. Travel South on I- 435 (from MCI you have to go about one mile north on I29 before you run into I-435 South.) Exit I-435 when you see Nebraska Furniture Mart (about one mile north of the exit to I-70 West going to Topeka).
Out of the way and not ribs, but Oklahoma Joe's has a great pulled pork sandwhich and Smoke Stack has great beans. Haven't been to Arthur Byant's yet, but I was not too impressed with Gate's.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 6:29 am
Original Poster

How About Famous Dave's?

I appreciate your answers and they were a great help. I was checking out Arthur's Bryant near the Speedway on the Web and stumbled across another place called Famous Dave's which is also near the Speedway. It looked like another possibility but the bad news seemed that it was part of a chain. On the other hand, a BBQ chain locating in the BBQ Land of Plenty might be a good sign that it has something to offer. Anyone know of this place?
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:20 am

Famous Dave's

I've been to Famous Dave's several times and it is within one block of Arthur Bryant's (at the KS Speedway). They are both quite good. Bryant's is a very unique Bar B Q with an orange sauce that cannot be found anywhere else...it will stain your hands (somewhat of an acquired taste according to my wife). Famous Dave's is more of a typical Bar B Q and will likely appeal more to the masses than Arthur Bryant's. Having said that, if you want to try a KC tradition and legend, stay with Arthur Bryant's. If you are more comfortable with a good typical Bar B Q experience, stay with Famous Dave's. Both will get the job done.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 9:47 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by edknees
I appreciate your answers and they were a great help. I was checking out Arthur's Bryant near the Speedway on the Web and stumbled across another place called Famous Dave's which is also near the Speedway. It looked like another possibility but the bad news seemed that it was part of a chain. On the other hand, a BBQ chain locating in the BBQ Land of Plenty might be a good sign that it has something to offer. Anyone know of this place?

If you want authentic KC barbecue, go to Arthur Bryant's.

If you want some old barbecue chain place that may be pretty good, go to Famous Dave's.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
My favorite, hands down, is Gates BBQ. There is no comparison. However, Fiorells Jack Stack is a VERY close second.

Unfortunately, none of these restaurants has a really convenient location between MCI and Topeka. However, I think that you will find that most of the BBQ in the KC area is very good and you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by MCI777
My favorite, hands down, is Gates BBQ.
MAY I HELP YOU!?

I grew up in KC and don't think I can remember having bad BBQ anywhere there. I'm not a big fan of Gates, but everyone else seems to love it. Of course, my favorite was a beef/pork combo from Zarda, so there's no accounting for taste.

Watch your speed on I-435.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.