FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Best Beer in the United States (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/343754-best-beer-united-states.html)

Shareholder Aug 6, 2004 6:51 am

Best Beer in the United States

At one time, this question would have been an oxymoron, but no longer. I have come across only two beer-related threads in this forum, surprisingly, so thought I would start this one up. I know from meeting lots of FTers in all parts of the world, that this is a common lubricant to which many are acquainted. And since we have seen a veritable eruption of micro/craft breweries throughout the continent, I am hoping to get some good recommendations for my future travels across America.

Now I realize no single beer can really be considered the "best", so feel free to offer a couple of recommendations, in the lager [and pilsner sub-species] and ale categories.

I have never been overly impressed with US-brewed lagers, finding them lacking in character, body and other attributes I consider essential in a good beer. However, on a hot summer's afternoon in a ballpark, I guess just about anything passes, though SAM ADAMS likely ranks best except where there is actually an in-park micro/craft on offer, as in Denver.

For American ALES, I was knocked back by an ANDERSON VALLEY AMBER a few weeks back at the Beer Bar of the FOUR POINTS LAX. Classic with a full mouthy character.

Let the posts begin...

taucher Aug 6, 2004 6:54 am

Best in the US?

Imported German wheats.

:D

monitor Aug 6, 2004 7:04 am

Originally Posted by taucher
Best in the US?

Imported German wheats.

:D

This fan of the Hefeweizen has found a US brewed wheat beer that IMHO gives taste and pleasure equal to any from Europe. It is called Celis White and is brewed in San Antonio, with distribution spotty around the US. It is brewed by oldtimers who brewed in Belgium for many years before coming to the States and they claim that they located in San Antonio because it had water quality most suitable to their product.

BamaVol Aug 6, 2004 7:08 am

Best beer in the US is the one you're buying for me. I'll have a Fat Tire, please. :D

taucher Aug 6, 2004 7:55 am

Originally Posted by monitor
This fan of the Hefeweizen has found a US brewed wheat beer that IMHO gives taste and pleasure equal to any from Europe. It is called Celis White and is brewed in San Antonio, with distribution spotty around the US. It is brewed by oldtimers who brewed in Belgium for many years before coming to the States and they claim that they located in San Antonio because it had water quality most suitable to their product.

Celis is pretty good, or at least it was before being acquired by one of the Borg beers (Miller?). It disappeared there for awhile, at least in my area at the time, and I never went back.

As I recall, it was spicier than typical hefeweizen.

IK in Seattle Aug 6, 2004 8:25 am

There are definitely some great breweries in the US. I am amazed at how far the US beers have evolved in the last 15 years. Of course it is a matter of taste but my favorite brewery is New Belgium, and my favorite beer is New Belgium Abbey. I have a soft spot for Belgium beers.

Herb687 Aug 6, 2004 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I have come across only two beer-related threads in this forum, surprisingly...

Well you see there's the problem. You're in the wrong forum. For beer related discussion you want to go to "Qantas Frequent Flyer" :D

beofotch Aug 6, 2004 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by monitor

Hear Hear, also an excellent Hefeweizen is Pyramid Hefe brewed in Berkeley.

crowes Aug 6, 2004 3:32 pm

Most US beers are quite simply, lacking. That's in general. What are they lacking? Taste for one, which is highly important to me.

I make sure to have a steady supply of Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden and Newcastle Brown on hand.

Those are real beers.

carlhaynes Aug 6, 2004 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
There are definitely some great breweries in the US. I am amazed at how far the US beers have evolved in the last 15 years. Of course it is a matter of taste but my favorite brewery is New Belgium, and my favorite beer is New Belgium Abbey. I have a soft spot for Belgium beers.

I really like their Black Ale

number_6 Aug 6, 2004 6:36 pm

One of the finest beers in the world is Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout by North Coast Brewing in Fort Bragg, California. Just very little of it is made making it hard to find. And expensive (almost at the Belgian abbey ale prices). And for Hefe, Widmer makes a very good mass-market one (every bit as good as Spaten).

Wheezer Aug 8, 2004 1:49 pm

In PWM, I'm a great fan of Shipyard Export Ale. Closer to home, Goose Island Honker's Ale.

miles4all Aug 8, 2004 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by crowes
I make sure to have a steady supply of Beck's, Stella Artois.

Those are real beers.

Beck's and Stella? :eek: You might want to talk to someone German and Belgian before you tell anyone else about what's in your fridge..... ;)
German only drink Beck's overseas and will never touch the stuff at home.

Try to find something like Grolsh, that won't raise eyebrows.

Cheers

meiji Aug 16, 2004 11:36 am

Originally Posted by crowes
Most US beers are quite simply, lacking. That's in general. What are they lacking? Taste for one, which is highly important to me.

I make sure to have a steady supply of Beck's, Stella Artois, Hoegaarden and Newcastle Brown on hand.

Those are real beers.

Those are really not that good Crowes. Hoegaarden I'll agree with you, but the rest are only really good in a "It's hot, I've got a cold beer" kind of way. Stella and Becks in particular are your Bud and MGD of European lagers, especially in the UK.

As for American beers; for micro-brew I'll take Rogue Brewing Co (Oregon) as they really are pretty much perfect and Henry Weinhards on a mass produced kind of level. I'll even admit to quite enjoying an ice cold six pack of Miller High Life on a really hot day occasionally :D

RobotDoctor Aug 16, 2004 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Best beer in the US is the one you're buying for me. I'll have a Fat Tire, please. :D

With all due respect, Ewwwwwwwwww! :eek:

I don't rate Fat Tire the best amber in Fort Collins. I personally prefer O'Dells 90 Schilling for the best amber in Fort Collins. :)

For my favorite, I personally prefer Deschutes Black Butte Porter from the Deschutes Brewery - Bend, OR. I love the taste of this beer and it definitely is smooth on my palate. ^