FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Consolidated "BBQ" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/311878-consolidated-bbq-thread.html)

wgrc1971 Jun 27, 2005 8:00 am

Originally Posted by stormer
Dixie's BBQ in Bellevue, WA...though I think most people go there for The Man than the bbq.

http://www.seattledining.com/ARCHIVE...nts/dixies.htm

Is this the best reccomendation for BBQ in the Seattle area? We are visiting the Northwest in a few weeks and might be hankering for some BBQ.

We'll also be around Vancouver, Portland, Idaho, etc.

TMOliver Jun 27, 2005 8:34 am

[QUOTE=Shareholder]Forget steak and big $$$s gourmet restaurants. Let's get down to basic, American BBQ and share with us your favourite spot(s).....

There's brisket (or shoulder clods) which are barbecue, then there's other smoked and pit cooked meats (many of which may be awfully good in their own right, as in dry-smoked ribs, gumbo made with andouille sausage and smoked duck or a modestly enhanced non-French version of cassoulet which uses smoked wild goose legs instead of the traditionally preserved domestic variety).

The greatest sins against nature are committed when it comes to sauces, schismatic obscenities prepared by degenerate, deparaved inhuman barbarians, wallowing about in tomatoes and casks of corn syrup.

"Sauce" is "drippings" modestly enhanced with other liquids. Any "sauce" for beef which has been sweetened is a treasonous act against the sovereignty of the people. The principal flavors comes from the smoke and basic seasonings with which the meat had been rubbed before smoking.

It is permissible to slightly sweeten (pricipally with blackstrap, sorghum syrup or dark brown sugar) sauces for pork, be it "pulled" (usually a pretty nasty lump instead of the tender moist shreds it ought to be) shoulder or fresh ham, while pork tenderloin is best without sweetened slobber lathered upon it, and sauces for smoked venison should receive no more sweetening than that of a dollop of Madeira, sweet Vermouth or Port. Feral piglet, one of the best reasons for Christmas, is delicate, but can achieve fame with a sauce based on homemade orange marmalade, orange juice, drippings and sherry. Buffalo or beef tongues, blessings bestowed undeservingly upon mortal men, should be smoked covered with a mantle of buffalo hump or beef brisket already smoked for 8 hours or so before introducing the tongue for the last 6-8 hours shift.

If a pit reaches temperatures of more than 225F, what's in there may only marginally be called barbecue, and he who would despoil the memoriy of his grandmother's chicken by attempting to barbecue it deserves a sound thrashing, preferably with a bob wire cat. Turkey, especially wild birds, yes, but chicken......May vandals in a 1957 GMC pickup topple his tombstone and coyotes unearth his remains to squabble over.

dchristiva Jun 27, 2005 10:03 am

Originally Posted by TahitiBoy
I know I'll be slammed for this, but frankly, I don't care.

I find it funny -- and almost bordering on odd -- that people talk about barbecue in places such as Oregon, California, Massachusetts...Yes, I'm a Texan, and I just can't fathom barbecue actually being good outside of this state (same thing with Mexican food). You'd think you could get good Mexican food in California. Have never found it (maybe I'm just used to Tex-Mex). My waiter looked at me like I had 6 heads when I asked for an order of queso. And the facsimile we received was a crying shame.

Anyway, Texas offers what I consider the only "real" barbecue, but if you want the most succulent, slap-you-in-the-face good barbecue, venture to Cooper's Barbecue in Llano.

Beef is king there (as it is everywhere in the Lone Star State). You go outside and pick your meat straight off the mesquite pit. You then go back inside; sit at picnic tables; and pick up some raw sliced onions, jalapenos and slices of Mrs. Baird's bread.

This was the exclusive purveyor of barbecue to LBJ, and he had them cater a state dinner at the White House.

Here's their website: www.coopersbbq.com

Anyway, best of luck to all in their pursuit of good eating!

I'll back you up on this, though my preference in Carolina BBQ. I think I've tried nearly every BBQ joint in and around Manhattan, and they all stink compared to anything I find in the Carolinas. I'm always amazed that certain things just don't translate outside of their native land. I agree that BBQ and Mexican food are two of those things.

taucher Jun 27, 2005 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Yes. BBQed beef briskit. It is BBQ in Texas. Although I disagree about anything being wrong with BBQ chicken. Texas BBQ isnt mainly about the sauce. It is about slow cooking on an oak wood fire. I still haven't found anything like the brisket from Black's in Lockhart, Texas.

Although the few occasions I had BBQed beef were memorably bad, I promise to give it another try next time I'm in a whole other country...err, Texas.

frood Jun 27, 2005 8:07 pm

Used to Be a Favorite

Originally Posted by chicka12
Red Hot & Blue in Virginia...it's of course not the best, but it works for over here!

It works ok, but I much prefer Rocklands now.

Then again, I'm originally from Kansas City and nothing beats Arthur Bryants.

gutt22 Jun 28, 2005 11:06 am

Originally Posted by taucher
Although the few occasions I had BBQed beef were memorably bad, I promise to give it another try next time I'm in a whole other country...err, Texas.

There is the old school cafeteria mush called "barbecued beef" that has absolutely no resemblance to fine barbecue. Don't let yourself confuse brisket with this! Brisket is the king of all barbecued meats -- making it is the final exam for any serious smoker. There's nothing more difficult than churning out consistently moist, tender, tasty brisket.

GadgetFreak Jun 28, 2005 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by gutt22
There is the old school cafeteria mush called "barbecued beef" that has absolutely no resemblance to fine barbecue. Don't let yourself confuse brisket with this! Brisket is the king of all barbecued meats -- making it is the final exam for any serious smoker. There's nothing more difficult than churning out consistently moist, tender, tasty brisket.

I agree with the first half. However, I think chicken is a bit harder to do since good brisket has enough fat in it (and on top if it) to help keep it moist.

writes4me Jun 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Pork BBQ in Georgia

Country's BBQ in Columbus Georgia and scattered around the state is the best. Their ribs are so tender my husband nearly ate a whole plate before he realized he'd had only bones left.

Check them out at www.countrysbbq.com They have been around since 1975 and were voted best bbq restaurant by Southern Living Magazine. My family and I ate there since the place opened.

I now live in Houston, TX and while the BBQ Brisket is okay, it can't hold a candle to the Pork BBQ of Georgia. Sorry TX but your sauce is thin, watery and puney, IMHO. I like a sauce that sticks to the meat, not runs off the sides.

To each his own, but try Country's BBQ when you are in Southwest Georgia.

GadgetFreak Jun 28, 2005 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by writes4me
Country's BBQ in Columbus Georgia and scattered around the state is the best. Their ribs are so tender my husband nearly ate a whole plate before he realized he'd had only bones left.

Check them out at www.countrysbbq.com They have been around since 1975 and were voted best bbq restaurant by Southern Living Magazine. My family and I ate there since the place opened.

I now live in Houston, TX and while the BBQ Brisket is okay, it can't hold a candle to the Pork BBQ of Georgia. Sorry TX but your sauce is thin, watery and puney, IMHO. I like a sauce that sticks to the meat, not runs off the sides.

To each his own, but try Country's BBQ when you are in Southwest Georgia.

Good Texas BBQ doesnt even need sauce. I cant even remember if they have it at places like Blacks or Ironworks.

LeBron23 Jun 29, 2005 8:37 pm

@:-) go to bbq king's! -California

violist Jun 30, 2005 10:09 am

Thanks for the offer, gutt22 ... lived in Houston for 4 years -
seldom go back; tend to stick with Chinese food, though
(surprisingly large Asian community, and as my father was
president of the local chapter of NACA, I got great food
when with him; unfortunately, he's too old and frail to
travel much these days).

Lantastic Jun 30, 2005 10:25 am

There is a hole-in-the-wall in a strip mall in Orange County, CA called Tulsa BBQ. It is the best overall package of ribs, potatoes and cherry coke I have ever had. They make their cherry coke with coke and cherry syrup, which is so much better and the potatoes are small potatoes cut into crinkled chips and fried to bubbly perfection.

nydonwvu Jun 30, 2005 9:09 pm

Gotta go with Rendezvous in Memphis (Dry rub ribs are to die for). Corky's is good also and I have even had the ribs at Silky Sullivan's on Beale - good as well.

I spend a lot of my business time in Columbus, Ohio and find City BBQ pretty good.

jfe Jul 1, 2005 10:28 am

Originally Posted by nydonwvu
Gotta go with Rendezvous in Memphis (Dry rub ribs are to die for).

Delicious :)^^

I am going to try to make them

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/drybbqrub.shtml

DennyO Jul 6, 2005 7:51 am

Good discussion of good barbecue

I found this five-part article worth reading. It will definitely affect my itinerary next time I go to Texas!

http://slate.msn.com/id/2118542/entry/2118537/