Best BBQ in the USA

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 17, 16, 8:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: swag
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 8, 04, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Best BBQ in the USA

Forget steak and big $$$s gourmet restaurants. Let's get down to basic, American BBQ and share with us your favourite spot(s) in Kansas City, Memphis and other cities renowned for their ribs and shaved beef. I'm a novice here, and would like to set out to explore some of these spots over the coming months. My experience in this realm is limited to that place in San Diego featured in TOP GUN, a hut off the main drag in Austin, and the recently expanded place across from TOYS ARE US off BROADWAY in NYC. I know what I like in smoke, sauce and meat, but seldom find it. So I am sure there are enough folks out there who have experienced their empitome, and would be willing to share it with others. BTW feel free to also suggest local craft/microbrews to accompany the main dish.
Old Apr 8, 04, 5:07 pm

McClard's-- Hot Springs, Arkansas
Old Apr 8, 04, 9:22 pm

KC-style

For goood KC-style barbecue, I've always found Fiorella's consistently good and reliable for different cuts spareribs (both beef and pork), brisket and killer baked beans that have chunks of meat in each crock. But the best item is Fiorella's burnt ends, which are basically meat chunks cut from brisket tip. They're a bit fatty but crispy and loaded with massive flavor. Their regular and "hot" sauces are pretty good too - not my absolute favorite, but tomatoe-based and sweet without being too sweet. (I actually like the sauce at Gates better.) For beverages, I like having a pint or 2 of local Boulevard Ale while I'm there, although a Shiner Bock from Texas is always tasty with good 'cue.
Old Apr 9, 04, 12:53 pm

Best BBQ in Boston

Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington Mass ROCKS and gets my vote! Here is my review from my Salesguy's Guide to Dining Out- http://www.nubblegroup.com.

Blue Ribbon BBQ
908 Massachusetts Ave
http://www.blueribbonbbq.com/
$
Casual

Favorite Bar B Que on the East Coast. This place is unreal. Great menu, all food is smoked and cooked on premises and man is it good. I bring customers here, colleagues here and I meet a good friend of mine here once a month for lunch. I have sat next to people from Chicago, Memphis, and Texas who all say itís the best BBQ around and that they actually make a special trip here to eat while in Boston. The menu has just meat, meat platters (3-4 ribs, 2 sides & cornbread), specials daily, and they also offer catering. If I got married again, Iíd hire these guys to cater the function in a heartbeat. My favorite here is a pork rib platter with a side of green beans (Iím not a big veggie guy but these are AWESOME) and mashed potatoes. Sometimes Iíll double down on the green beans, theyíre that good. I think they cook them in some smoky beef and pork bones and a hint of vinegar and they are truly world class.

This is the kind of place you want to go with people you can messy with. Grab a plate of smoky meat, slather on some of their homemade sauce ranging from sweet to blisters on the inside of your mouth, and you leave after letting your belt out a notch.
Old Apr 9, 04, 1:05 pm

Best BBQ

My vote would be for Maurice's Piggy Park in West Columbia, SC. Has mustard based sauce that is excellent and hash to die for.
Old Apr 9, 04, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
This is a deep subject; to begin with, what style of BBQ? There's Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina, South Carolina....

Maurice Bessinger has lost a lot of business by injecting his politics (which are more than a little Neanderthal) into the operation of his restaurants. See:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/09/27/confederate.sauce/

for details.
Old Apr 9, 04, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold ∑ A3 Gold ∑ IB Plata
Frankly I think FT could do with a BBQ forum, but that's just me.

Some that really stand out in my travels:

- Memphis, The Comissary
- KC, it's all pretty good but I really like the combo sandwiches at Zarda and the ribs at Gates
- Seattle, no question: Pecos Pit - the pork is good, the brisket is amazing
- Columbia, MO - a place called Wellingham's on the south end of town has good ribs but the standout deal is the "burnt ends", which gives you a MOUNTAIN of smoked pork rib end pieces (not burned) and a side of sauce for about 6 bucks.

Maybe we should put together a by-city list of the best?
Old Apr 9, 04, 3:58 pm

I wish I could remember the name of the joint where I had fabulous BBQ in Richmond, TX, on Route 59 nearly 30 years ago.
Old Apr 9, 04, 4:46 pm

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
Thumbs up

The name of the establishment says it all:

Lexington Barbecue #1
Old Apr 9, 04, 7:00 pm

I agree the styles are different based on regionand perhaps should be clarified

Memphis: Charlie Vergos Rendezvous. Outstanding dry ribs. Great beans/rice for vegetarians too
Kansas City: Arthur Bryant Barbeque. Great "wet" ribs."

Both recommendations compliments of a terrific book on Road Food: "Eat Your Way Across the USA." Authors: Jane & Michael Stern. 1997: Broadway Books.
(I have no financial ties to this book).
Old Apr 9, 04, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Globalist
shareholder,

You could start fights with this type of question.

Personally, I prefer 'southern' style BBQ with a sweet, sticky sauce applied after ribs have been slow cooked for a long time. To me, the best example of this style is Tom's on North Federal Hwy in Boca Raton, FL.
Old Apr 10, 04, 8:16 am

Sonnys or Greenbrier

I am a fan of Sonnys which is a chain mostly in Florida, unbelievable sweet sauce. Greenbrier is just outside Huntsville, Alabama, very good southern BBQ.
Old Apr 11, 04, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by BillMorrow
Personally, I prefer 'southern' style BBQ with a sweet, sticky sauce applied after ribs have been slow cooked for a long time. To me, the best example of this style is Tom's on North Federal Hwy in Boca Raton, FL.
Bill, if that is the case, hie thee to Tom's on May 15: The Great Delta Board PBI-FLL Meet will be held there. (Open to all F/Ters, not just DL flyers.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...21&postcount=1
Old Apr 11, 04, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Memphis: Charlie Vergos Rendezvous. Outstanding dry ribs. Great beans/rice for vegetarians too
What do you call a vegetarian in a BBQ restaurant?

Lost.

on Rendezvous. I was in Memphis for a conference and we had an all-you-can-stuff-in-your-face dinner there. mmmmm

I like the chain Red, Hot and Blue in Illinois and Texas and ??

In Denver, KT's BBQ in Boulder and Broomfield
Old Apr 11, 04, 5:58 am

[QUOTE=greggwiggins]This is a deep subject; to begin with, what style of BBQ? There's Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina, South Carolina....QUOTE]

On the opposite side of the question - the worst I ever had was in Raleigh, North Carolina - a mixture of ketchup and vinegar - horrible!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: