FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Consolidated "BBQ" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/311878-consolidated-bbq-thread.html)

Sweet Willie Jun 7, 2003 9:22 am

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

On the Food Channel Network, A Cook’s Tour will tour the BBQ of the South. Show airs the Friday June 13 and Saturday June 14.
A Cook's Tour airs Fridays at 9:30 pm and 12:30 am All times ET.

The BBQ Triangle
Kansas City, Houston and North Carolina are locked in a BBQ Battle to the death. Secret sauces, wood pits, slow smokers...there's no end to how to prepare your ribs, "Burnt ends" and brisket.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._22729,00.html

While I get quite tired of his never ending "I'm from NYC" attitude, his last show on Vietnam was terrific, so I'm looking forward to this one.

willie--wonka Jun 14, 2003 9:29 am

There is also a short article on Memphis(and mention of other cities)BBQ joints in the new Bon Appetit. I grew up in Memphis, and have never heard of two that were mentioned, so it might be worth a look.

PremEx Jun 16, 2003 5:37 pm

Here's another reference piece:

http://www.southernliving.com/southern/onlyonaol/travel/food/package/0,17308,437211 ,00.html

Ooops. Sorry about that. AOL or magazine subscribers only, I guess. http://www.flyertalk.com/dining/ftdi...orum/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 06-16-2003).]

PremEx Jun 16, 2003 5:47 pm

And here's another that's long gone from the web, so I'm pasting it below. Being a bit of a BBQ "expert" (it runs in the family), I've actually been to each and every one of these places.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">All roads in the Lone Star State lead to barbecue—a slow-smoked way of life. In the hands of talented pitmasters, beef briskets fire a feeding frenzy in every true Texan and fill the butcher paper and plates of more than 2,100 barbecue restaurants.

When you are traveling Texas, don’t be alarmed at the sight of hazy blue smoke wafting above the horizon. It’s just a beacon to a roadside barbecue joint, a symbol of Texas as true as longhorns and longnecks.

The Lone Star State boasts more than 2,100 barbecue restaurants, a clue to the seriousness with which Texans regard their ’cue. Another meaty statistic: These businesses ring up over a half-billion dollars annually, forming a cobweb of commerce that connects a diverse, sprawling state with a common mission—Go forth, Texans, to cook and consume.

Although you can find good barbecue throughout the South, the Texas variety is different from that found in other barbecue headquarters. North Carolina barbecue is mostly pork with a vinegar-based sauce. In Tennessee, ’cue lovers find ribs wet (mopped with a tomato-based sauce) and dry (sprinkled with a paprika rub). In other parts of the Deep South, barbecue often means roasting a whole hog. And in Kansas City, you just might find cookers adding a little honey to their mixture to produce the burnt ends that are so popular in that city. In Texas, barbecue means beef brisket, basted meats, and tomato-based sauce, or sometimes no sauce at all.

Finding good Texas barbecue is easier than precisely defining it. In a state spanning over 261,000 square miles, the definition is debated from the bayous of East Texas to the Panhandle prairies to the border communities along the Rio Grande. In each region, the local barbecue is influenced by other culinary cultures, from Southern to Tex-Mex to Southwest. Cabrito, or barbecued goat, is often served in the western portion of the state, while pork or lamb is a more common offering in East Texas. Cooking styles vary, as well. Out on the West Texas plains, barbecue is usually cooked over a slow fire of mesquite wood, while in southern and central Texas pecan and oak are more common. Farther east, barbecue pits are stoked with hickory.

There is one unifying factor, however, in most Texas barbecue joints, whether the jukebox is playing cowboy, Cajun, or conjunto tunes. The star of most menus remains beef brisket, slow-smoked and sliced. Making the brisket a success is the mark of a true Texas barbecuer. Genuine Texas barbecue is never grilled but is always smoked in a closed chamber or pit, ensuring the blessed union of meat and smoke.

Just how the smoker should be arranged, however, is the topic of endless controversy. In the community of Llano, for example, pitmasters use "indirect barbecuing." Wood, primarily mesquite, is placed in the firebox and allowed to burn down to coals; then it’s transferred to the main section of the pit beneath the meat. Here it flavors and cooks the meat to perfection, imparting a delicate smoky taste that is subtler than that achieved through ordinary smoking. Many barbecue restaurants dish up their meat right out of the smoker with the tomato-based sauce on the side, usually accompanied by a shaker of hot peppers soaking in vinegar to add a tangy kick to the meal.

Unlike other barbecue hot spots like Kansas City and Memphis, there is no single "capital of ’cue" in Texas. Instead the title is shared throughout a part of the state that could be termed the Barbecue Belt, stretching from Llano in the west to Schulenburg in the east. This smoky swath slices through the capital city of Austin and extends to local havens such as Elgin, Lockhart, Taylor, and Luling, small communities where barbecue is the hottest action in town.

Barbecue got its start in this region during the frontier days of the late 1800s in meat markets and butcher shops. Pioneer merchants were determined to find a use for cuts that weren’t selling. On weekends, they began smoking those quickly aging meats, hoping to make them more palatable. It worked. Like an aromatic billboard, the smell of barbecue soon permeated the small towns and captured the attention of those doing their Saturday marketing. Farmers and ranchers in town for weekend trading came by the meat market and found an inexpensive lunch served up on the only plate a butcher had on hand: butcher paper.

Eventually, farm and ranch families began making the meat market a regular weekend stop, dining off the back of their wagons. A sign over the counter of one Texas barbecue spot says it all: "Bar-b-que, sex, and death are subjects that provoke intense speculation in most Texans. Of the three, probably bar-b-que is taken most seriously."

Louie Mueller Barbecue / Louie Mueller’s, located 35 miles northeast of Austin, is one of the most authentic barbecue joints in Texas, with a slamming screen door, smoke-covered walls, and giant fans that provide the only cool breeze on a hot summer day. Not one to waste money on fancy gimmicks like plates, Mueller’s serves up meat on a piece of white butcher paper. And don’t look for menus here, either. There’s a letter board on one wall with the offerings. You can pick from brisket, served regular or extra lean, sausage, pork ribs, chopped beef, or steak. Grab a tray, step up to the counter, and the cook will carve off a slice of meat to satisfy your own proportions. Meats are served with a cup of sauce on the side; the tomatoey broth is spiced with a Texas-sized helping of black pepper. For real fire-eaters, bottles of homemade vinegar and chile sauce top every table. For a side dish, opt for coleslaw, beans, or potato salad, a flavorful mixture of mashed potatoes spiced with celery.

206 West Second Street, Taylor; Tel: 512-352-6206. Open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m.–6:30 p.m.; Sunday 11 a.m.–3 p.m. Meal for two about $12.

Rudy Mikeska’s Bar-B-Q Inc. / Just next to Louie Mueller Barbecue lies Rudy Mikeska’s, a restaurant that serves up equally fine offerings in a more citified atmosphere. During his lifetime, Rudy Mikeska was the dean of Texas pitmasters and a likely candidate for catering any political function. In Texas, the Mikeska name is synonymous with barbecue, thanks to Rudy and his brothers: Maurice, Clem, Jerry, Mike, and Louis. Each man founded his own barbecue restaurant, spread throughout the state. "We’re a very close family," explains Rudy’s son Tim, "but we all do things a little different." Don’t expect to see identical menus or taste identical food.

Rudy died in 1989, but he left a legacy of legendary barbecue that his children Tim and Mopsie continue. Step inside the bright red building and have a look around at the dozens of pictures of Rudy Mikeska and the wheelers and dealers of Texas. You’ll find photos of politicians here posing beside Mikeska at various events he catered. In the cafeteria line, you can order a plate of lamb ribs, but the popular favorites are brisket, sausage, and pork ribs. The sausage, thin links full of peppery fire, is made using Mikeska’s own recipe. Most diners cool the burn with a traditional barbecue restaurant dessert: banana pudding, chock full of banana slices and vanilla wafers.

300 West Second Street, Taylor; Tel: 512-352-5561. Open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m.–8 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Meal for two $16–$20.

Cooper’s Old Time Pit Barbecue / Cooper’s has long been one of the best-known restaurants in Texas. From its huge rectangular pits located by the front door to the dining room dotted with loaves of white bread and jars of jalapeño peppers, this is the real thing. Before entering the restaurant, located about 80 miles west of Austin, you’ll place your order right at the pit, where the pitmaster opens the huge vaults to reveal a king’s treasure: brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs, chicken, goat, sausage, sirloin steak, and pork chops. Name the meat (brisket is the top choice) and the amount, and the pitman will carve it off and drop it on some butcher paper for you to take inside for weighing. Cooper’s also does catering.

604 West Young (TX 29 West), Llano; Tel: 915-247-5713. Open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m.–8 p.m., Friday through Sunday 10 a.m.–9 p.m. Meal for two $15–$21.

Southside Market and BBQ, Inc. / Well-known throughout the Barbecue Belt, the Southside Market in Elgin is also one of the most recognized names in Texas barbecue lore and is definitely the biggest thing in the community of Elgin, located about 25 miles east of Austin. In business since 1882, the market is known for its Elgin hot sausage, sometimes known as Elgin Hot Guts. For generations, Southside was located in a smoky den that spoke volumes about the history of barbecue. Sadly, the business outgrew its old home and now sits in a red tin building with a concrete floor, less atmospheric but one of the largest barbecue restaurants in the state. Spicy but not hot, the all-beef Southside sausage is a favorite in many barbecue restaurants in Texas. Along with links, Southside sells brisket, pork and beef ribs, beef steak, pork, and even mutton. Plates come with potato salad and beans.

1212 US 290 West, Elgin; Tel: 512-285-3407. Open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m.–8 p.m., Friday and Saturday 8 a.m.–10 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m.–7 p.m. Meal for two $14–$21.

Iron Works / When ironsmith Fortunat Weigl opened his foundry in 1935, he probably never envisioned that one day Austin’s movers and shakers would gather here for power lunches. In those days, this was an ironworks shop where the German immigrant and his sons produced handwrought decorative items that were displayed in many stately homes and the Texas State Capitol.

In 1977, the ironworks closed its doors and the shop was transformed into a smokehouse. The building, complete with historic marker, is decorated with hundreds of brands, a reminder of its earlier life. Today, diners fill the restaurant and its picnic tables overlooking the banks of Waller Creek to enjoy tender brisket, smoky ribs, and spicy sausage.

100 Red River, Austin; Tel. 512-478-4855 or 800-669-3602. Open Monday through Saturday 11 a.m.–9 p.m. Meal for two $16–$26.

The County Line on the Hill / Walk into most Texas barbecue joints wearing a coat and tie and you’ll immediately be branded a "city slicker." At the County Line in Austin, though, three-piece suits sit side by side with Wranglers and Levis. For all its gentrified atmosphere, however, this restaurant serves genuine Texas barbecue, with meats smoked for 18 to 20 hours daily then trimmed of any fat. This original location has spawned County Line restaurants around Texas and in neighboring states. Housed in a historic rock building with a 20-mile view of the hill country, diners can sit on the stone patio and enjoy the menu favorites: beef ribs, baby backs, brisket, and sausage. Side dishes are made from scratch daily and include huge bowls of potato salad, crunchy coleslaw, and tasty pintos.

6500 West Bee Caves Road, Austin; Tel: 512-327-1742. Open Sunday through Thursday 5 p.m–10 p.m., Friday and Saturday 5 p.m.–9 p.m. Dinner for two $20–$50. /END/</font>

Sweet Willie Jun 17, 2003 8:11 am

thanks PremEx, I'll copy the above to the BBQ thread in the South.

Also, I think I've posted the southern living article as a wonderful FT'er sent it to me.

Shareholder Apr 8, 2004 3:45 pm

Best BBQ in the USA

Forget steak and big $$$s gourmet restaurants. Let's get down to basic, American BBQ and share with us your favourite spot(s) in Kansas City, Memphis and other cities renowned for their ribs and shaved beef. I'm a novice here, and would like to set out to explore some of these spots over the coming months. My experience in this realm is limited to that place in San Diego featured in TOP GUN, a hut off the main drag in Austin, and the recently expanded place across from TOYS ARE US off BROADWAY in NYC. I know what I like in smoke, sauce and meat, but seldom find it. So I am sure there are enough folks out there who have experienced their empitome, and would be willing to share it with others. BTW feel free to also suggest local craft/microbrews to accompany the main dish.

speedbird001 Apr 8, 2004 4:07 pm

McClard's-- Hot Springs, Arkansas

Pietro Apr 8, 2004 8:22 pm

KC-style

For goood KC-style barbecue, I've always found Fiorella's consistently good and reliable for different cuts spareribs (both beef and pork), brisket and killer baked beans that have chunks of meat in each crock. But the best item is Fiorella's burnt ends, which are basically meat chunks cut from brisket tip. They're a bit fatty but crispy and loaded with massive flavor. Their regular and "hot" sauces are pretty good too - not my absolute favorite, but tomatoe-based and sweet without being too sweet. (I actually like the sauce at Gates better.) For beverages, I like having a pint or 2 of local Boulevard Ale while I'm there, although a Shiner Bock from Texas is always tasty with good 'cue.

mmacauley Apr 9, 2004 11:53 am

Best BBQ in Boston

Blue Ribbon BBQ in Arlington Mass ROCKS and gets my vote! Here is my review from my Salesguy's Guide to Dining Out- http://www.nubblegroup.com.

Blue Ribbon BBQ
908 Massachusetts Ave
http://www.blueribbonbbq.com/
$
Casual

Favorite Bar B Que on the East Coast. This place is unreal. Great menu, all food is smoked and cooked on premises and man is it good. I bring customers here, colleagues here and I meet a good friend of mine here once a month for lunch. I have sat next to people from Chicago, Memphis, and Texas who all say it’s the best BBQ around and that they actually make a special trip here to eat while in Boston. The menu has just meat, meat platters (3-4 ribs, 2 sides & cornbread), specials daily, and they also offer catering. If I got married again, I’d hire these guys to cater the function in a heartbeat. My favorite here is a pork rib platter with a side of green beans (I’m not a big veggie guy but these are AWESOME) and mashed potatoes. Sometimes I’ll double down on the green beans, they’re that good. I think they cook them in some smoky beef and pork bones and a hint of vinegar and they are truly world class.

This is the kind of place you want to go with people you can messy with. Grab a plate of smoky meat, slather on some of their homemade sauce ranging from sweet to blisters on the inside of your mouth, and you leave after letting your belt out a notch.

hackensacknj Apr 9, 2004 12:05 pm

Best BBQ

My vote would be for Maurice's Piggy Park in West Columbia, SC. Has mustard based sauce that is excellent and hash to die for.

greggwiggins Apr 9, 2004 1:47 pm

This is a deep subject; to begin with, what style of BBQ? There's Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina, South Carolina....

Maurice Bessinger has lost a lot of business by injecting his politics (which are more than a little Neanderthal) into the operation of his restaurants. See:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/09/27/confederate.sauce/

for details.

alanw Apr 9, 2004 2:03 pm

Frankly I think FT could do with a BBQ forum, but that's just me.

Some that really stand out in my travels:

- Memphis, The Comissary
- KC, it's all pretty good but I really like the combo sandwiches at Zarda and the ribs at Gates
- Seattle, no question: Pecos Pit - the pork is good, the brisket is amazing
- Columbia, MO - a place called Wellingham's on the south end of town has good ribs but the standout deal is the "burnt ends", which gives you a MOUNTAIN of smoked pork rib end pieces (not burned) and a side of sauce for about 6 bucks.

Maybe we should put together a by-city list of the best?

0524 Apr 9, 2004 2:58 pm

I wish I could remember the name of the joint where I had fabulous BBQ in Richmond, TX, on Route 59 nearly 30 years ago. ^

Y_me? Apr 9, 2004 3:46 pm

The name of the establishment says it all:

:-: Lexington Barbecue #1 :-:

19103_aa Apr 9, 2004 6:00 pm

I agree the styles are different based on regionand perhaps should be clarified

Memphis: Charlie Vergos Rendezvous. Outstanding dry ribs. Great beans/rice for vegetarians too
Kansas City: Arthur Bryant Barbeque. Great "wet" ribs."

Both recommendations compliments of a terrific book on Road Food: "Eat Your Way Across the USA." Authors: Jane & Michael Stern. 1997: Broadway Books.
(I have no financial ties to this book).