Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
How odd not to serve tacos on Taco Tuesday!
It is rather like a barbecue restaurant celebrating Barbecue Thursday by serving pasta.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jackal
It is rather like a barbecue restaurant celebrating Barbecue Thursday by serving pasta.
Indeed - LOL.

3 of my direct reports were in Kansas City yesterday and gave yet another great review and shout out for Q39.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:37 am

Finally had my long-awaited dinner at Q39 and thought it was great. Had the combination brisket and burnt ends plate. The brisket was amazingly tender and I would gauge it as about 3/8" thick. As the brisket was the more leaner of the two, I preferred it to the burnt ends. My wife liked the burnt ends as they were a bit fattier. Wasn't crazy about the baked beans but everything else was amazing.

Parking is supposedly a bit of a problem for folks coming after 6:00 pm, but as we had gotten there earlier we didn't have an issue.
Old May 3, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Hey y'all! Any recommendations for Austin, TX? So far the top of my list includes Salt Lick, Ironworks, and La Barbeque

-J.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Hey y'all! Any recommendations for Austin, TX? So far the top of my list includes Salt Lick, Ironworks, and La Barbeque

-J.
Franklin's is the must do for Austin. Get there by 730am and bring a lawn chair.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Franklin's is the must do for Austin. Get there by 730am and bring a lawn chair.
Good morning... guess that's not happening Any other suggestions? I have to be back at the hotel by 4:15pm.

-J.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jcooke
You've got my vote for Dinosaur - that place is great. I haven't been to the one in SYR but ROC's got one too that's just amazing BBQ.

^ ^ ^ ^
I've been around, and I've been looking. Dinosaur is really, really good and continues to get my vote too.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:12 am
Suspended

Good morning... guess that's not happening Any other suggestions? I have to be back at the hotel by 4:15pm.

-J.
You would be back at the hotel by 4:15pm. But if you can't do Franklin's, then do La Barbecue.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:34 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
don't wait in line at franklin's. i hear it's good but i've also heard it was mediocre, bbq can be inconsistent. seriously i live for bbq but waiting longer than 30 minutes for it is just wack. they don't even do phone pickup orders? screw em. even gatlins and ray's in houston do phone orders. just drive out to hill country and try some of those joints. one of my favorite is city market in luling (not in hill country but 1-2 hrs from austin)

north of austin there's another place that is exceptional, i completely forget

even bone daddies if you like that hokey twin peaks kinda stuff
Old May 7, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by cur
don't wait in line at franklin's. i hear it's good but i've also heard it was mediocre, bbq can be inconsistent. seriously i live for bbq but waiting longer than 30 minutes for it is just wack. they don't even do phone pickup orders? screw em. even gatlins and ray's in houston do phone orders. just drive out to hill country and try some of those joints. one of my favorite is city market in luling (not in hill country but 1-2 hrs from austin)

north of austin there's another place that is exceptional, i completely forget
Perhaps Louie Mueller in Taylor (about 30 minutes NE of Austin).

even bone daddies if you like that hokey twin peaks kinda stuff
I'd never go to Bone Daddy's for the BBQ.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:17 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Herb687
Perhaps Louie Mueller in Taylor (about 30 minutes NE of Austin).

I'd never go to Bone Daddy's for the BBQ.
it was louie mueller. you do have to get there early though, just links and pork in the pm.

i expensed a night at bone daddy's for japanese clients, they loved it

honestly the brisket was very good. not houston good, but a lot better than i thought

but across the freeway is a rudy's bbq, much better bang for buck

and to be honest, when i have a hankering 8-10 pm for some bbq, rudy's is very decent.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:32 pm

-J.
Best BBQ in the city with no wait time worth mentioning...either Brown's BBQ on South Lamar or Stiles Switch on North Lamar.

Originally Posted by cur
it was louie mueller. you do have to get there early though, just links and pork in the pm.
Agree. ^

...but across the freeway is a rudy's bbq, much better bang for buck

and to be honest, when i have a hankering 8-10 pm for some bbq, rudy's is very decent.
Disagree.

And I wouldn't subject anyone to Bone Daddy's...ever.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 12, 2016 at 2:26 am Reason: merge
Old May 10, 2016, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say that Rudy's BBQ I found to be completely underwhelming. I've had far better Texas-style BBQ in both Columbus and Pittsburgh.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by TMM1982
You would be back at the hotel by 4:15pm. But if you can't do Franklin's, then do La Barbecue.
Wish I had seen this first We went to Iron Works which was decent, but I've had better. I also got Salt Lick at the airport and was beyond underwhelmed

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
Best BBQ in the city with no wait time worth mentioning...either Brown's BBQ on South Lamar or Stiles Switch on North Lamar.
Will keep this in mind too for next time!

-J.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:40 pm

Lockhart

If you are planning on leaving the city to scrounge up food you could do worse than Lockhart with Kreuz and Black's almost side by side down there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.