punch the guy out (Urban Bar-B-Que in the Washington DC
area, for the record). Moist brisket is fatty brisket, that's what
it means. Started out as a euphemism, but then it became
accepted usage. I get irritated to have to order "extra moist"
because of the morphing of the language by people who don't
know good from evil. Anyhow, I shake my head at people who
want lean brisket. It's like asking for a grilled cheese with
lowfat cheese.
Here's the thing: What matters is how thinly the brisket is sliced. I like it extremely extremely thinly cut. If it's cut how I want, I don't mind the fat. If it's a thicker cut, then I don't want a thick piece of fat at the end of it because, well, thick pieces of fat are disgusting.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Here's the thing: What matters is how thinly the brisket is sliced. I like it extremely extremely thinly cut. If it's cut how I want, I don't mind the fat. If it's a thicker cut, then I don't want a thick piece of fat at the end of it because, well, thick pieces of fat are disgusting.
This is true - pencil thin according to Diners, Drive-Inns and Dives

Originally Posted by diningdecadence
quick strawpoll - i'm having BBQ catered as part of a wedding - what ratio of fatty:lean brisket should i split? It's in Austin, so everyone will be familiar with BBQ.
Safer with lean - I would go 80 lean 20 fatty.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Fatty brisket tastes better, having basted itself with that fat while smoking. That's what I order, but I discard most of the fat before eating.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:00 pm

It's your personal preference, but for me...no. Extremely thin-sliced brisket is just a way to hide toughness, IMHO. You'll find this a lot in Kansas City.

Originally Posted by braslvr
Fatty brisket tastes better, having basted itself with that fat while smoking. That's what I order, but I discard most of the fat before eating.
This. If there is too large a fat cap left on, then I merely cut it down to something I can handle. But, I want a thick enough slice to be able to do a respectable pull test for tenderness.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
It's your personal preference, but for me...no. Extremely thin-sliced brisket is just a way to hide toughness, IMHO. You'll find this a lot in Kansas City.

This. If there is too large a fat cap left on, then I merely cut it down to something I can handle. But, I want a thick enough slice to be able to do a respectable pull test for tenderness.
Franklin's Brisket is very thinly sliced.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:27 pm

Franklin's Brisket is very thinly sliced.
Never in the two dozen times that I've eaten there personally has it ever been very thinly sliced by my understanding of the term. It has always run a 1/2 inch or better. If that is very thinly sliced to you, you should see the paper thin slices of brisket they serve in KC. lol
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Never in the two dozen times that I've eaten there personally has it ever been very thinly sliced by my understanding of the term. It has always run a 1/2 inch or better. If that is very thinly sliced to you, you should see the paper thin slices of brisket they serve in KC. lol
Mine definitely was less than 1/2 inch. I'd say more in the range of 1/4 inch which is just how I like it. And it was the most tender, tasty, brisket of my life.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:47 pm

Mine definitely was less than 1/2 inch. I'd say more in the range of 1/4 inch which is just how I like it. And it was the most tender, tasty, brisket of my life.
1/4 is acceptable, and not extremely thin, IMHO. A lot depends upon the cut of the brisket it is taken from though. If you have Aaron's book take a look at the sliced brisket he prepared on page 182. Most of the flat is cut a 1/4 inch thick+ while the point runs a 1/2 inch+.

Seriously though, most of the sliced brisket (not burnt ends) I ate in KC was paper thin. When I hear someone say "extremely thin-sliced" it evokes that memory, not one from Franklin BBQ.

Last edited by Pa Kettle; Feb 23, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended

I need to hit KC again and check it out
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to hit KC again and check it out
^
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Q39 was a good 1/4". Joe's and Jack Stack slice maybe a bit thinner,
but you want the burnt ends anyway.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by violist
Q39 was a good 1/4". Joe's and Jack Stack slice maybe a bit thinner, but you want the burnt ends anyway.
Smokin' Guns in KC is also thin brisket and they have awesome burnt ends ^

try about 3.40 where it shows him cutting the brisket

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Feb 24, 2016 at 7:39 am
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
An odd one to add to this thread, but I will: Smoke BBQ Taqueria in Pittsburgh. Tacos only (except for Tuesday, when it's burgers only), but I had the most heavenly burnt ends on my burger last night--so good I actually picked a bit off my burger and ate a small mound of them separately. (Incidentally, the burgers themselves are actually some of the best burgers I've ever had anywhere, and I know a thing or two about burgers.) They have an in-house smoker they use for their brisket tacos, and they sell the burnt ends as a separate topping you can add to any item on their menu.

I've had some burnt ends from LC's and others that border on being too tough and too dry to enjoy, but these were firm but tender and moist enough to enjoy, though there was still plenty of smoke in them.

Next time I go back, I may just order a side of burnt ends and do a better analysis, but initial results were very promising.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jackal
An odd one to add to this thread, but I will: Smoke BBQ Taqueria in Pittsburgh. Tacos only (except for Tuesday, when it's burgers only)...
How odd not to serve tacos on Taco Tuesday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.