Search
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "BBQ" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2004, 2:25 pm

Peebles in Auburndale, FL (roughly btwn orlando and tampa). Scary little shack with the best bbq. So good in fact that the late governor Lawton Chiles used to have people bring it up to the Capital with them when they came. I should know, i did it once.

Here in Boston I really like Blue Ribbon bbq.
Old May 18, 2004, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Franchised BBQ? Doesn't such language violate the Flyertalk TOS?

http://www.mosbbq.com/contact.htm
http://www.mosbbq.com/franchise.htm

Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
Here on the west coast, the California central coast features real barbecue, not that overcooked, smoked, soggy, drippy stuff you southerners, Texans, whatevers, call "barbecue." When the ad says "You need no teeth to eat our beef," I take off running.

It's called "barbecue" because it's BARBECUED.

So try any of the great places in Santa Maria, Santa Ynez, San Luis Obispo, and up and down the coast. My favorite is Mos in SLO (http://www.mosbbq.com/) or just walk the weekly farmers market (Thursday night in SLO), and sample them all.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:16 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Here on the west coast, the California central coast features real barbecue, not that overcooked, smoked, soggy, drippy stuff you southerners, Texans, whatevers, call "barbecue." When the ad says "You need no teeth to eat our beef," I take off running.
Huh, it's funny to me, then, that you use as your example a place in California that has this on the front of their web page:

"bar be-cue (bär b kyoó) 1. U.S. A social or political entertainment at which meats are roasted or smoked over an open hearth or pit.2. The authentic Southern method (as practiced in the so called "barbeque belt" region of the United States) of barbeque cooking, using hickory to slow cook beef, pork, or fowl. 3. At Mo's we practice this authentic method of barbeque cooking; it requires a great deal more work but we believe it's well worth the trouble.
We know you'll agree!"

Uh, that sounds like it's smoked and not "barbecued," whatever the heck that distinction is. Personally, I think the "barbecued" and "grilled" debate is a little petty. There are so many better issues, such as what kind of wood and sauce you like, not to mention the types and cuts of meat. And "Ain't need no teef to eat my beef" -- well, if it ain't tender, I don't want it any more than I'd want a tough steak.

If you're ever in the mood for a real barbecue education -- and I say this with all sincerity -- let me know if you'll be in Houston sometime, and I'm more than happy to make you the best ribs you've ever eaten. Yup, they smoke on mesquite for four hours (for three racks of back ribs; longer for spare ribs). You'll feel like you've died and gone to heaven and will forever renounce California barbecue.

The reason for the slow-cooking at a low temperature is simple. When you cook with ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, or another of the common barbecue cuts, you're using meats that have a lot of connective tissue and fat. If you cook them fast, like you'd cook a steak, they will come out tough every time. By cooking them slowly, you allow the connective tissue to break down and the fat to self-baste the meat. When you've cooked it enough, you end up having a beautifully smoked piece of meat (and let's face it; barbecue is smoked) that's not anywhere near soggy. It'll be as tender and succulent as the finest steak you've ever had. If you cook it too fast, you'll end up with something that sticks between your teeth and, frankly, doesn't have much taste. These cuts of meat aren't steaks, and they can't be cooked fast like a steak would be. You need to give the meat time to break down the tissue (much like the result of aging beef) and allow the smoke to give it that signature flavor (along with your dry rub and mop).

By the way, since I kind of sound like I'm coming off as some super-Texan barbecue nut ... I don't like Texas. I don't like Texans. But I must say, these people down here in the South know their barbecue, and I respect that. If I ever start a barbecue team, though, it's going to be called the Yankee Invaders.

Last edited by gutt22; May 18, 2004 at 3:19 pm
Old May 18, 2004, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gutt22
If you're ever in the mood for a real barbecue education -- and I say this with all sincerity -- let me know if you'll be in Houston sometime, and I'm more than happy to make you the best ribs you've ever eaten. Yup, they smoke on mesquite for four hours (for three racks of back ribs; longer for spare ribs). You'll feel like you've died and gone to heaven and will forever renounce California barbecue.
Dang it, and I was just down there!

Your points are all well taken, and very professionally stated. It's the attention to detail you mention in your post that seems to be missing in most of the BBQ places I've been to (and I've been to a lot). Overcooked ribs disguised with too much sauce just seems to be the norm.
Old May 18, 2004, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA not Gold anymore :(, UA, US, CO, HH
It is the use of slow, indirect heat that distinguishes barbequed foods from other forms of fire-cooking like grilling. When someone says they you to come over for a barbeque, the usually don't realize that they are misuing the term. You need to keep your cooking chamber between 180-220 degrees F. Mesquite is better for grilling. It burns a little hot for BBQing.

Very often, what passes for BBQ has been wrapped in foil (gasp!) to help keep it moist. What you get in this instance is braised meat that is acceptable, but not the real thing.

SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime,
I think you've been going to the wrong places

gutt22,
If you weren't so busy insulting Texans, it sounds like you could be one.
Old May 19, 2004, 7:30 am

Overcooked ribs disguised with too much sauce just seems to be the norm.
That is simply the most frustrating thing in barbecue-dom. I mean, seriously, it's not rocket science. It just takes lots of patience. So next time you're in the area ... drop me a line!

I do like mesquite best, though it does burn a little hotter -- it also lets off more resin than a lot of wood, so it takes some more attention. But, hey, barbecue is all about an excuse to sit around for a day, have a few drinks, and visit with people, so there's really no reason not to give the food the attention it deserves.
Old May 19, 2004, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta-Gold/CRC, SPG-Platinum, HHonors-Diamond, USAir-Silver
Best BBQ in Tampa, FL

By far the best BBQ that I have had while traveling in Florida in the Tampa Bay area is a place that goes by the name of Jazzy's BBQ.

The places looks like it should be condemned and torn down by the Board of Health, however on the inside the place is pure Heaven! The restaurant interior is nothing to write home about, but the food is well worth sharing with family and friends. It's owned by an older Black gentleman and is operated by himself and his family.

The food is prepared the way BBQ should be slow cooked in a real open brick pit with choice wood only, no gas here baby. They make their own fresh Summer Sausage that will knock your socks off. The ribs are tender and tasty as is the pulled Pork and Beef BBQ. The roast chicken is to die for too. Be sure to get the home cooked BBQ Beans and Slaw, WOW!

If you wish to partake of the great food, might I suggest the plate that goes by the name of "The King of Kings", this is a sample of everything they have, there is more than enough food for 2 people on this one plate, trust me!

The place is located about 15 minutes from TPA so if you have a layover of a few hours you can make it there and back in less than an hour. To get there go North on Veterans Highway to West Waters Avenue, take the ramp going East, IMMEDIATELY get to the left turn lane at the first light, do a U-Turn and pull straight into the gravel paking lot. Just look for the cars and smell of burning hickory wood from the fire.

Enjoy!
Old May 19, 2004, 10:06 am

That is simply the most frustrating thing in barbecue-dom. I mean, seriously, it's not rocket science...
Being a rocket scientist ( ) let me just say that for the most part, rocket science really isn't rocket science. Now brain surgery...

Let me just note that my qualms are really at the margin. Bad barbeque is still a whole lot better than just about anything else. My point being I like the dry Santa Maria style better than the other stuff (see for example http://www.santamaria.com/section_visitor/barbecue.html, and play the video).
Old May 19, 2004, 10:24 am

Let me just note that my qualms are really at the margin. Bad barbeque is still a whole lot better than just about anything else. My point being I like the dry Santa Maria style better than the other stuff (see for example http://www.santamaria.com/section_visitor/barbecue.html, and play the video).
That's a terrific web site! Thanks for the link. Lots of informative stuff. I'll admit, I wasn't really familiar with the Santa Maria style. It's a very different beast than what we haughty southerners (and Yankees in exile) call barbecue. I think I'm going to have to make it a point to check it out when I'm out in California next month. Thanks for the tips.
Old May 19, 2004, 11:14 am

Programs: AA not Gold anymore :(, UA, US, CO, HH
That Santa Maria "barbeque" sounds wonderful. What they are doing in the picture on the site looks at lot like roasting the meat over hot coals, but there's nothing wrong with fire-roasted sirloin.
Old May 19, 2004, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Smile Birmingham

I had some catered BBQ from Jim'N'Nicks. Excellent smoked pulled pork, chicken, baked beans and great deserts!
Old May 20, 2004, 9:01 am

It's not just Santa Maria.

I think I'm going to have to make it a point to check it out when I'm out in California next month. Thanks for the tips.
My pleasure. It's not just Santa Maria, though that's the name for that type of barbecue. I live in LA, but look forward to visits to that area just to sample that stuff. Check out the Hitching Post in Casmelia, San Luis Obispo on Thursday night farmers market, and lots of other California central coast towns. It's a great part of the state, and great food.
Old May 25, 2004, 5:43 pm

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt
bbq

Sams on East 12th in Austin, Texas-A little known whole in the wall, with moist tasty BBQ brisket.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Just a shamelessly biased opinion....nothing beats Texas bbq. Check out Kruez Market and Smitty's in Lockhart. In the DFW area, Railhead and Angelo's in Fort Worth are excellent.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Have to agree with this one. Of course don't forget the outlet in Mobile. They have some of best BBQ around and you can order from them and get fresh ribs delivered in a day.
As much as it pains me to admit (due to Dreamland's Tuscaloosa tie - WAR EAGLE!), they get my vote. There's one in Atlanta too, but the one in Tuscaloosa is the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.