Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where Are The Best Steakhouses In The World?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
If you're ever in Montréal, QC, Moishes Steakhouse is excellent. One of the top steakhouses I've been to anywhere. Top notch service and food was perfect.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Neither however, compare to Berns in my hometown . Not even close.
Thank you for the information, Denolloyd.

The original Shula’s in Miami Lakes has been one of my favorite steakhouses; but I have not been there in years, so I cannot vouch for its quality today — especially after it became a chain of restaurants.

I will most likely be in Tampa this fall; and Bern’s is one steakhouse which I have not yet tried...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Thank you for the information, Denolloyd.

The original Shula’s in Miami Lakes has been one of my favorite steakhouses; but I have not been there in years, so I cannot vouch for its quality today — especially after it became a chain of restaurants.

I will most likely be in Tampa this fall; and Bern’s is one steakhouse which I have not yet tried...
Cu placere! If you do end up dining at Bern's, be sure to save room (and time) for the "Dessert Room". Quite an experience up there.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Cu placere! If you do end up dining at Bern's, be sure to save room (and time) for the "Dessert Room". Quite an experience up there.
I am typically not a dessert person; but now my curiosity is piqued.

Should I have said mulțumesc instead of thank you?

Ce mai faci? Foarte bine?!?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by AA_CPA
Multiple reports on here of poor experiences at US Morton's'. As for me, I can say I've had consistent hit or miss experiences
Yes, unfortunately. Since Morton's was acquired by Landry's, we have stopped attending (although, in fairness, it did seem things were going downhill before that).
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by pilotalan
Yes, unfortunately. Since Morton's was acquired by Landry's, we have stopped attending (although, in fairness, it did seem things were going downhill before that).
I was at Morton's last friday. For the first time in a few years, I my filet I requested be cooked medium rare as medium rare. However, it was still below my liking. I'd rather have a medium well filet at The Palm than a medium rare filet at Morton's. Too bad the Palm could not be larger chain for those outside of the major cities. I'm fortunate that when I'm in Alexandria, Virginia, I have easy to access to the Palm at Tysons and downtown.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by pilotalan
Quote:

Multiple reports on here of poor experiences at US Morton's'. As for me, I can say I've had consistent hit or miss experiences

This is unfortunate, but sadly all too common. Morton's was my favorite among the high end chains
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

I just dined at The Grillhouse — the original one in Rosebank and not the one in Sandton. I ordered the filet with a pre-cooked weight of 500 grams, or approximately 18 ounces. It was excellent all by itself; but I just had to try some monkey gland sauce to go with it. I liked that, too.

I intend on trying out The Butcher Shop & Grill in Sandton tomorrow; and I will think about trying The Bull Run while I am here in South Africa...
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:39 am

Multiple reports on here of poor experiences at US Morton's'. As for me, I can say I've had consistent hit or miss experiences.

That said, I've booked a res next week for Morton's Hong Kong - good trip advisor reviews - anyone been there lately who can report on quality/service?

Cheers
I went there last year for my anniversary dinner. Guess I'm getting old because I can barely remember what I ordered, unfortunately.

Service overall was very good, as was the decor etc.

I don't recall what I had for the appetizers, I think it was the crab cakes and something else seafood related, both of which were also very good.

The steaks were good, but nothing to write home about though. This one I guess it depends on your personal tastes. I had the slightly 'cheaper' steak where as my 'boss' had the more expensive one (again I can't remember what it was, probably a US grain fed or the like). Mine was more tender and flavours more balanced, whereas hers was a bit on the salty side.

I skipped desserts because we weren't big fans.

The restaurant was quite full, with a mixture of other people celebrating special events, or tourists.

I haven't been to the other Mortons', although for this price range, I'd say it was in the middle of the pack.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:43 am

I am typically not a dessert person; but now my curiosity is piqued.
Yes, you absolutely HAVE to save time for the dessert room... saving room in your belly is another issue entirely. Good luck with that! Make sure you to the kitchen/wine cellar tour.

On a similar note, and because I've seen Bern's mentioned many times in this thread.... check out the tentative plans for TPA to get "Vintage Bern's" a casual version of the steakhouse.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...irport/2219410

Won't be the same as the original, but it sure will make the airport more fun!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:11 pm

Question re: Palm steakhouse.
Here, it's unanimous that they are great. Yet the reviews on Denver's location are decidedly mixed (Yelp, Urbanspoon, Opentable).

Can any here give a spotrep on the Denver Palm? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Nick and Stefs in NYC
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Never had anything compare with Hussar Grille in Camps Bay just outside Cape Town.

If you read the reviews on Trip advisor you'd say no place could be that good. It is!!!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I just dined at The Grillhouse — the original one in Rosebank and not the one in Sandton. I ordered the filet with a pre-cooked weight of 500 grams, or approximately 18 ounces. It was excellent all by itself; but I just had to try some monkey gland sauce to go with it. I liked that, too.
If you're in Joburg, I strongly recommend the Local Grill which despite being a mid-market chain still has done hands down the best steak I've ever had (make sure you have their Greenfields rather than grain fed):
http://local-grill.co.za/

My second favourite in Joburg was always Wombles which really looked the part and do great on the bone specials but in my view wasn't quite as good. Compared to those two I found the Grillhouse meat lacking flavour.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If you're in Joburg, I strongly recommend the Local Grill which despite being a mid-market chain still has done hands down the best steak I've ever had (make sure you have their Greenfields rather than grain fed):
http://local-grill.co.za/

My second favourite in Joburg was always Wombles which really looked the part and do great on the bone specials but in my view wasn't quite as good. Compared to those two I found the Grillhouse meat lacking flavour.
I am not there now; but thank you for the recommendations.

Next time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.