Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Good to hear! In just a few weeks, we will be at both Meadowood and Acacia House. Along with Solbar, despite it recently having lost its star.

We loved our last dinners at Meadowood and vastly prefer it to the French Laundry (and have for well over a decade). I’m surprised Benu let you down: it’s one of my faves. Of course, I always do it’s spectacular wine pairings.
Benu was objectively good, but I think the bar was raised too high by Meadowood just 2 nights prior. I still haven't been to FL, but with all the recent reviews I probably won't anytime soon. Perhaps Saison next time I'm in SFO.

Totally forgot to mention that we also had Sunday brunch at Auberge! Spectacular view along with great food! We really enjoyed it. Thank you for the recommendation!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:52 am

Spiaggia was...disappointing.

A few hits. And a few misses. But the misses were particularly disappointing. I’d not return. I think a Michelin star in Chicago might have been a bit of a charity case.
Ah that sucks to hear. I'll avoid that one then.

Originally Posted by Hilde
I've had excellent meals at Acadia (2*) twice, they als have a bar area with a nice bar meny.
If you are in the mood for an excellent steak, Bavette's Bar & Boeuf always delivers.
Girl & the goat is a fun place too, if you can get a reservation.
I hear Boka is great too. Good luck!
I've been to Girl & the Goat once before and the food was amazing. I think it is too last minute now to get a table there.

Mmm. I love your suggestions. I'm between Bavette and Boka. Boka's whole roasted dry age duck looks amazing. Gonna ask the SO if she wants steak or duck.

Thanks!
Hilde likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
In addition to 3* Meadowood and 1* Acacia House for our anniversary trip up the coast starting next week, we also will have dinners at 2* Baumé in Palo Alto, Sierra Mar in Big Sur (likely 1* when the new Michelin ranking comes out in June for all of California), 1* Kin Khao and 1* Mourad in San Francisco...plus lunch at 1* Auberge du Soleil as usual for us in Napa.
arkellvspressdram likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JBord
Planning for a Spain trip this fall, first time for us in over 20 years. I have a few restaurant questions, hoping to get some opinions...

3. In San Sebastian, we're looking to do a dinner and a lunch. Want to try Mirador de Ulia for the views...better views for lunch or dinner?

Thanks!
We've been there only for lunch (June 2018). The view is pretty spectacular.
Attached Images  
obscure2k and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
We've been there only for lunch (June 2018). The view is pretty spectacular.
Day time is the pic I saw in researching it as well. Probably makes more sense for lunch so you can see the water and not just city lights. Thanks for posting!

Was the lunch menu the same as dinner? And same price?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Day time is the pic I saw in researching it as well. Probably makes more sense for lunch so you can see the water and not just city lights. Thanks for posting!

Was the lunch menu the same as dinner? And same price?
The photo I posted above is a panorama that I took.

To the best of my recollection, the menus and the prices were the same:

Here are images of the tasting and a la carte menus:

ETA: Sorry, I have no idea how to rotate them.
Attached Images      
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:47 pm

In addition to 3* Meadowood and 1* Acacia House for our anniversary trip up the coast starting next week, we also will have dinners at 2* Baumé in Palo Alto, Sierra Mar in Big Sur (likely 1* when the new Michelin ranking comes out in June for all of California), 1* Kin Khao and 1* Mourad in San Francisco...plus lunch at 1* Auberge du Soleil as usual for us in Napa.
Kin Khao! We had lunch there, forgot that it was Michelin starred. Food there was excellent, get the khao soi!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:20 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jbeans
Check out Taian.
Sadly I was unable to book this without a local sponsor (J address & tel) or using a scalper site.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:29 am

3. In San Sebastian, we're looking to do a dinner and a lunch. Want to try Mirador de Ulia for the views...better views for lunch or dinner?
Unless you are eating a very early dinner you’ll have better views at lunchtime.

Not sure if you’ve considered Akelarre but the views there are fantastic, particularly from a window table,
jbeans likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Didn't realize this existed.

Doing a number of 3 stars this year:
Eleven Madison Park (which I've done every year since 2010)
Osteria Francescana
El Cellar

Seeing some talk of Benu ITT. I'm so glad I wasn't spending my own money when I ate there, because I never would. Good meal, but can't say much more.

In general I've had plenty of success trying to drop a ton of $$$ at SF fine dining and receiving average good in return.

Maybe I'm just a mission burrito kind of girl :-)
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Sadly I was unable to book this without a local sponsor (J address & tel) or using a scalper site.
Perhaps your hotel concierge if you're staying at one? I booked it through concierge at the St.Regis.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Unless you are eating a very early dinner you’ll have better views at lunchtime.

Not sure if you’ve considered Akelarre but the views there are fantastic, particularly from a window table,
We are still considering Akelarre too, it just wasn't one that I needed more info on . I think we will do one of these two for lunch. Thanks to everyone for the posts, especially the photos.

Still would love to know if anyone here has tried Amelia or Kokotxa.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:13 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jbeans
Perhaps your hotel concierge if you're staying at one? I booked it through concierge at the St.Regis.
Granvia Osaka (location over luxury) wouldn't book it according to amex. I can book it for a £27 kickback to tableall which I refuse to do. You may have better info or better concierges
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:25 am

Wife and I will be dining at Alinea tomorrow night.

Wine pairing? If so, regular or reserve? Or just do our own thing with by the glass and half bottle selections?

Would love to hear reviews of what FT'ers thought about their pairings.
Hilde likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Granvia Osaka (location over luxury) wouldn't book it according to amex. I can book it for a £27 kickback to tableall which I refuse to do. You may have better info or better concierges
Ah darn. Yeah I wouldn't pay that much just for a res either, that's just wrong! Especially when the meal itself is only 15000Y I think.

For a less trying option:
Unatoto Honmachi -- if you like unagi, this is a solid cheap and cheerful spot. Grilled eel is pretty much the only thing on the menu. We walked in without a res and sat at the grill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.