Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:55 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Did our semi-annual run to SFO this weekend and had dinner reservations at Mourad, Sons & Daughters and COI.

Mourad was a repeat visit for us but this time we went more a la carte, ordering a collection of dishes as opposed to one of the 'platters'. Food was excellent as always although the service was initially a bit rushed. Still very tasty and great value.

Sons & Daughters could best be described as provocative. Some of the flavour combinations really had us scratching our heads (in a good way) especially a cannelloni-like combination of truffle, crab and mushroom that we singled out as exceptional. Interesting wine pairings and very innovative food without pushing too much process over product.

COI was another first time for us and was simply stunning. Very composed dishes each with a unique palette of flavours and consistently great - just what you want in a tasting menu. Wine pairings were a touch pricey but well thought out and service was both well informed and engaging. We will most certainly return.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:04 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
At Osteria Francescana tonight and must say I'm not impressed. Totally overhyped in my eyes. Will report later....
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by bsb10
Agreed on Chef's Table.

For HK, Would skip Duddell's. Been a few times for the ambiance, but it was very bad when I was there last time that I refuse to go back. Food ranged from ok to not so good, but the worst part was the service. Horribly inattentive. They also sat us right in the middle of the patio doors which was like a wind-tunnel; we kindly asked if we could move to an empty table which they refused (it remained empty the entire time we were there).

Lung King Heen seems to get mixed reviews but I think it's mostly from having such lofty standards of it; I personally love it and think everything on the menu is thoroughly delicious. 3*? Eh, probably not. But the service when I've been is outstanding, especially my favorite sommelier ever there-- Bernard. Tin Lung Heen is also very good but found the service not as good as LKH; I've only been there a few times though so YMMV because it seems to get stellar reviews. Another favorite of mine is Mott 32, consistently good food and feels less touristy now that "hype" around it has settled down (in a good way). Last time we went we actually preferred the food here to LKH and Yan Toh Heen.

Chairman is very good. Definitely a very hot place right now. I prefer my cantonese food to be indulgent so it's not my absolute favorite, but it is a really good option and definitely better than Duddell's if that's the alternative.
It has been over a year since my last trip to HK, but I really enjoyed the tasting menu at Sun Tung Lok. Also had a really nice meal at The Eight in Macau. FWIW, I tried the tasting menu at Bo Innovation one night and left confused as to the hype. At least my wallet weighed a lot less afterwards.
bhrubin and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:12 am

Went to the Araki in London recently, and wasn't too impressed. There was too much reliance on luxury products such as truffle and caviar, and not enough on different ways of preparing fish and different types of fish etc.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by bsb10
Agreed on Chef's Table.

For HK, Would skip Duddell's. Been a few times for the ambiance, but it was very bad when I was there last time that I refuse to go back. Food ranged from ok to not so good, but the worst part was the service. Horribly inattentive. They also sat us right in the middle of the patio doors which was like a wind-tunnel; we kindly asked if we could move to an empty table which they refused (it remained empty the entire time we were there).

Lung King Heen seems to get mixed reviews but I think it's mostly from having such lofty standards of it; I personally love it and think everything on the menu is thoroughly delicious. 3*? Eh, probably not. But the service when I've been is outstanding, especially my favorite sommelier ever there-- Bernard. Tin Lung Heen is also very good but found the service not as good as LKH; I've only been there a few times though so YMMV because it seems to get stellar reviews. Another favorite of mine is Mott 32, consistently good food and feels less touristy now that "hype" around it has settled down (in a good way). Last time we went we actually preferred the food here to LKH and Yan Toh Heen.

Chairman is very good. Definitely a very hot place right now. I prefer my cantonese food to be indulgent so it's not my absolute favorite, but it is a really good option and definitely better than Duddell's if that's the alternative.
Nice I have reservations are LKH and trying for Otto e Mezzo. The RC HK recommended Mott 32 but wasn't so sure of it but I'll definitely check it out from your post.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:41 pm

Any restaurant recommendations for Chicago next week? Already have a reservation at Alinea on Saturday so looking for something lower key for Friday. Slightly overwhelmed by all of the choices.
United747 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by phant0m
Any restaurant recommendations for Chicago next week? Already have a reservation at Alinea on Saturday so looking for something lower key for Friday. Slightly overwhelmed by all of the choices.
I’ll be at Spiaggia with friends on Sat night. Will report back. Enjoy Alinea!
United747 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’ll be at Spiaggia with friends on Sat night. Will report back. Enjoy Alinea!
Nice. Definitely do! Spiaggia was on my maybe list.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
We had an excellent meal at Elske on West Randolph last September.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
From HK...

-Dim sum at Tin Lung Heen (2*, Kowloon) - unfortunately it was a cloudy day, so zero view from the 102nd floor. Ambiance is nice, definitely felt the service was a bit more stilted and not as ‘Westernized’ as I would have expected. That said, I feel like there’s a distinct difference in accessibility for international folks in Kowloon v. HK Island, so not a big deal. Dim sum was pretty good overall, if overpriced for what it was. I wouldn’t mind coming back, but especially for dim sum, it’s hard to justify the cost for what, in this case, is slightly refined finger foods.

-Dinner at Lung King Heen (3*, Central) - having had dinner at 2* in Shanghai a couple years ago and not being too impressed, I came away from dinner last night with an appreciation of how refined Chinese food can be done. The service was excellent and personable, and all of the food was delicious. We did a la carte and focused on the house specialties...the spring roll with lobster and black truffles was a definite highlight, as was the crispy suckling pig with a thin insert of Chinese pancake between the skin and the meat...it was almost like Peking duck.

Sticking with casual bites in town today - ended up cancelling our reservation at Duddell’s.
United747 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:59 pm

Just got back from a week in Napa/SFO --

Meadowood (3*) -- Just wow. Possibly one of the best meals of all time. It's very rare for a multi-course meal to nail it on every single dish. The food was not only creative, but also super delicious. One of my favorites was caviar mixed with beef tendon bits, never had these 2 things together in one dish and it was an incredible combo. Service was flawless. Impressive wine list, and the somm was knowledgable and friendly. Didn't end up getting the pairing, but was recommended some champagne and a great bottle of red from the Harlan estate.

Benu (3*) -- Great meal, but it was hard to follow Meadowood. A couple of misses (oyster dish over salted, uni dish drenched in teriyaki sauce, etc), but also some great hits. The smoked quail was one of the best bites of food I've ever had. Very limited wine selection.

Acacia House (1*) -- We stayed at Las Alcobas, so got to experience breakfast, lunch, and dinner there. Breakfast is solid, lunch is simple, and dinner is where they really shine. Fresh high quality ingredients cooked perfectly. I highly recommend it for a casual dinner. Friendly attentive service.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Nice. Definitely do! Spiaggia was on my maybe list.
Spiaggia was...disappointing.

A few hits. And a few misses. But the misses were particularly disappointing. I’d not return. I think a Michelin star in Chicago might have been a bit of a charity case.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 15, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC
I've had excellent meals at Acadia (2*) twice, they als have a bar area with a nice bar meny.
If you are in the mood for an excellent steak, Bavette's Bar & Boeuf always delivers.
Girl & the goat is a fun place too, if you can get a reservation.
I hear Boka is great too. Good luck!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Planning for a Spain trip this fall, first time for us in over 20 years. I have a few restaurant questions, hoping to get some opinions...

1. I'm intrigued by Enigma (I guess that's the point) in Barcelona. Anyone been there, and what was your experience? In particular, I'm seeing that the typical dining time is between 3.5-5 hours, which might normally be fine, but as BCN is our arrival, I'm a little worried about jet lag.
2. Is Engima even possible to book? It would have to be on the weekend for us, as we leave BCN on Monday.
3. In San Sebastian, we're looking to do a dinner and a lunch. Want to try Mirador de Ulia for the views...better views for lunch or dinner?
4. Has anyone tried Amelia or Kokotxa? Would love to see any thoughts on those as they're within walking distance of our apartment.
5. Are the lunch and dinner menus the same? I'm not sure we want or need a 10 course meal for lunch. Any starred restaurants offering an abbreviated lunch menu?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:50 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by jbeans
Just got back from a week in Napa/SFO --

Meadowood (3*) -- Just wow. Possibly one of the best meals of all time. It's very rare for a multi-course meal to nail it on every single dish. The food was not only creative, but also super delicious. One of my favorites was caviar mixed with beef tendon bits, never had these 2 things together in one dish and it was an incredible combo. Service was flawless. Impressive wine list, and the somm was knowledgable and friendly. Didn't end up getting the pairing, but was recommended some champagne and a great bottle of red from the Harlan estate.

Benu (3*) -- Great meal, but it was hard to follow Meadowood. A couple of misses (oyster dish over salted, uni dish drenched in teriyaki sauce, etc), but also some great hits. The smoked quail was one of the best bites of food I've ever had. Very limited wine selection.

Acacia House (1*) -- We stayed at Las Alcobas, so got to experience breakfast, lunch, and dinner there. Breakfast is solid, lunch is simple, and dinner is where they really shine. Fresh high quality ingredients cooked perfectly. I highly recommend it for a casual dinner. Friendly attentive service.
Good to hear! In just a few weeks, we will be at both Meadowood and Acacia House. Along with Solbar, despite it recently having lost its star.

We loved our last dinners at Meadowood and vastly prefer it to the French Laundry (and have for well over a decade). I’m surprised Benu let you down: it’s one of my faves. Of course, I always do it’s spectacular wine pairings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.