Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by bsb10
I probably sound like a broken record on this thread but CT BF is the best restaurant in the city right now, period. They are at their peak and prime, having gone countless times over the past 2 years.
Per Se, despite some trip ups in the past years that kept me from going for awhile, is now in a very good place in my opinion. Had my birthday dinner there a month back and it was wonderful, but not at the level of wow! as CTBF. If the wife likes classic french though, I can't think of a better place. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite 3 star in the city (tied with Le Bernardin in my mind but I haven't been there in over a year so I'd have to see what it's like nowadays).
Ko is interesting, a whole different beast than the other restaurants in the category. I really liked the most of it, but failed to love any dish. Love the quirky ambiance and the experimentation though. I wouldn't consider it a special occasion dinner venue though, despite the high price and 2*.
Would skip Marea honestly unless you really need pasta and need to be in the midtown area. Two expensive dinners and left with nothing but disappointment and regret both times. Not apples-to-apples in terms of cuisine, but I would suggest places like the Bar Room at the Modern for a similar (or less) price tag and much MUCH better service/ambiance in the same area as Marea.
Have a wonderful time!
You're really swaying me towards CT BF! That said StR concierge heard that Chef Ramirez might be away when I plan to visit which would make me go to Ko by default. If that's not the case, I would say I'm in favour of CT BF 60/40 at this point.

I am thinking of doing lunch at Le Coucou the same day so that the wife can get her French fix. I hear great things.

Marea would be the one I am most likely to cut out of the meals I am planning - really I am only interested in their signature octopus and bone marrow pasta haha.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by kiokujai
Sorry! Somehow I totally missed your response.

I just reached out to StR's concierge team and they heard that Chef Ramirez might be away first 2 weeks of July which is when I plan to go. If that's the case, that makes my decision easier as I would only want to go if Chef was there (plus I hear that when he's away they're actually closed).

I'm actually thinking of doing Le Coucou for lunch that same day to get the wife her French fix. We did Le Bernardin last time and absolutely loved it! Met Chef Eric Ripert as well which is a bonus.

Thanks for your feedback!
Yeah Chef Ramirez is always away for 2 weeks in early July every year, and indeed the restaurant is closed while he's away. Just thought of a casual alternative, Uchu Kaiseki. The chef there (Sam Clonts) used to work at CTBF, and after dining there I felt that many of his dishes were "inspired" by Chef Ramirez' menu. His execution is definitely not in the same league, but overall still very good for almost 1/2 the cost, could be an option if you have an extra meal to fill.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kiokujai
You're really swaying me towards CT BF! That said StR concierge heard that Chef Ramirez might be away when I plan to visit which would make me go to Ko by default. If that's not the case, I would say I'm in favour of CT BF 60/40 at this point.

I am thinking of doing lunch at Le Coucou the same day so that the wife can get her French fix. I hear great things.

Marea would be the one I am most likely to cut out of the meals I am planning - really I am only interested in their signature octopus and bone marrow pasta haha.
I know it isn’t rated by Michelin, but I can tell you that our Table 55 experience at the King Cole Bar ar the StR New York was perhaps the best overall dining and beverage experience we’ve ever enjoyed: anywhere. Considering we dined the next night at disappointing 3* EMP but also have dined at 21 Michelin stars in Japan, every Michelin 2-3* restaurant in SF/Napa/Sonoma, including most several times, 3* Le Calandre, 3* Enoteca Pincchioirri, and almost a third of the Pellegrino too 100 list—most in just the last year or two—I think we have some decent perspective!

Table 55 isn’t cheap at a table minimum of $2500, but it was truly sublime and exceptional and so much fun in EVERY way. We had 3 of us to enjoy the experience, so it wasn’t that much more expensive than one of these crazy tasting menus and wine pairings, either. My review in case you’re interested:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ular-stay-2408
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I know it isn’t rated by Michelin, but I can tell you that our Table 55 experience at the King Cole Bar ar the StR New York was perhaps the best overall dining and beverage experience we’ve ever enjoyed: anywhere. Considering we dined the next night at disappointing 3* EMP but also have dined at 21 Michelin stars in Japan, every Michelin 2-3* restaurant in SF/Napa/Sonoma, including most several times, 3* Le Calandre, 3* Enoteca Pincchioirri, and almost a third of the Pellegrino too 100 list—most in just the last year or two—I think we have some decent perspective!

Table 55 isn’t cheap at a table minimum of $2500, but it was truly sublime and exceptional and so much fun in EVERY way. We had 3 of us to enjoy the experience, so it wasn’t that much more expensive than one of these crazy tasting menus and wine pairings, either. My review in case you’re interested:

The table is very special and Ím definitivly not the target group. Will eat at Le Calandre from your list next month together with some more 1 and 3 star restaurants (funny enough no 2 star at 22 nights in Italy).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
WOW! I'm honestly surprised, though I know the absence of LA with all its hype likely has made Michelin look bad for the omission.
Well, it turns out that Michelin got paid to expand their presence in California.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by TWA884
Well, it turns out that Michelin got paid to expand their presence in California.
Could be a good deal for both sites but I see it very sceptical. If someone pays there will be normally an expectation for a cerain minimum number of strs which is dangerous for the objectivity. But OK, it's not the first time Michelin gets paid.
United747 likes this.

Last edited by offerendum; Mar 13, 2019 at 2:17 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum

Could be a good deal for both sites but I see it very sceptical. If someone pays there will be normally an expectation for a cerain minimum number of strs which is dangerous for the objectivity. But OK, it's not the first tome Michelin gets paid.
Much to my surprise:
Originally Posted by EATER LA
... it’s long been understood that the only way the tire company actually pays for their meals is with the help of the deep-pocketed tourism boards for the regions they cover.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AC

Wow, that report was a great read! Thanks!

Funny enough, I have nearly the exact sentiments you had regarding EMP - down to the specific dishes I thought were the only two memorable dishes of the night (the caviar course and the duck).

While Table 55 is definitely out of my price range, I definitely plan to visit the King Cole Bar during my stay and make use of my F&B credit from the destination fee.

I actually had a reservation for Le Calandre last time I was in Italy cause I really wanted to try that famous saffron risotto but logistically it didn't work out so I ended up cancelling my reservation. Hopefully one day!
United747 and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Casa Vissani

Did anyone eat at Casa Vissani? I could only do a Lunch and they write it's served at the Rock Room. Fear a little bit it's a light version.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Did anyone eat at Casa Vissani? I could only do a Lunch and they write it's served at the Rock Room. Fear a little bit it's a light version.
No personal experience, however, from their website it would appear as if the ConTatto Lunch at the Rock Room consists of "2 salted courses from the à la carte Tradition, Emotion, one dessert and 1 wine glass pairing included. It is 55€ per person.

There are three level offered in the restaurant which can be booked between 12:30 and 14:30 and again between 19:30 and 22:30. Four courses for 120€, six courses for 180€ and a "Complete Proposal" consisting of the entire menu, 9 courses, for 250€ per person.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 7:47 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I'll be in Umbria in June and would love to check this place out. I will report back if we make it down there.

Also seeing if we can fit in La Parolina while we are in the area.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Mar 14, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
No personal experience, however, from their website it would appear as if the ConTatto Lunch at the Rock Room consists of "2 salted courses from the à la carte Tradition, Emotion, one dessert and 1 wine glass pairing included. It is 55€ per person.

There are three level offered in the restaurant which can be booked between 12:30 and 14:30 and again between 19:30 and 22:30. Four courses for 120€, six courses for 180€ and a "Complete Proposal" consisting of the entire menu, 9 courses, for 250€ per person.
Thanks, I saw it and that´s what fears me. No time to stay for half the day but also not ready to dine the poor wonnabe.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:36 pm

I am going to Washington DC in May for vacation. I was looking at Fiola or Masseria. I was wondering if anyone has any preference for either, my wife wants Italian at least once.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a beautifully-written review. Thank you for taking the time.

Honestly, given the wines you drank at Table 55 I'm surprised the price wasn't higher. (You two were clearly pretty high yourselves with all that wine ... )
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Had a business dinner at Marea (2 stars) last week. It had been a long time since I was there - forgot how delicious the food is without being overly complicated. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.