Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:10 am

For counter style dining in NYC, have been to Atera, Ko, CTBF, Blanca and most of them more than once. My fav remains Blanca for the best food. I find it more innovative and enjoyable than the others
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:30 pm

I have my reservation at Alinea's Salon. Tried getting the Gallery but it was sold out in literally 1 second.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unhappy

Riff in Valencia has closed after a diner died, members of her family fell gravely ill and other customers also needed hospital treatment.

https://elpais.com/ccaa/2019/02/19/v...92_651685.html
A kind of morell called colmenillas (little honeycombs) has been blamed
https://elcomidista.elpais.com/elcom...93_417034.html

In English:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47318923
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:58 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by LapLap
Riff in Valencia has closed after a diner died, members of her family fell gravely ill and other customers also needed hospital treatment.

https://elpais.com/ccaa/2019/02/19/v...92_651685.html
A kind of morell called colmenillas (little honeycombs) has been blamed
https://elcomidista.elpais.com/elcom...93_417034.html

In English:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47318923
Yikes!

What a tragic situation.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yikes!

What a tragic situation.
Normally this restaurant is dead. If it was their fault or not. Very tragic.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just had yet another superb lunch at The Waterside Inn at Bray - it really can't be faulted in any way and, on a sunny day, it must have just about the nicest dining room of any restaurant. Whilst the food is, of course, horrendously expensive, the wine list is more reasonably priced than any I came across in a week of mediocre dining (and even more mediocre drinking) in SF!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Normally this restaurant is dead. If it was their fault or not. Very tragic.
Yeah people are not going to go back there anymore.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From Eater Los Angeles:
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:11 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
WOW! I'm honestly surprised, though I know the absence of LA with all its hype likely has made Michelin look bad for the omission. I'm betting on a few new 3* restaurants, quite a few new 2* restaurants, and a ton of 1* restaurants--including 1* for Taco Maria here in Orange County!

I'm also dying to see what they do with Vespertine (at least 2* IMO) and the more casual atmosphere for even the best in SoCal. I imagine there will be many more 1* because of the LA expectation to be more dressed down than fine for dining!

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 5, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Great to hear that Michelin is coming back to LA - long overdue. I wonder how Melisse (my favorite restaurant in these parts) stacks up; I believe it had 2 stars before they decided to stop coverage of the region.

On a separate note, back from my trip to Basque country! Brief thoughts below:

-Arzak (3 stars, San Sebastian): very innovative cuisine, particularly on the texture side, but this was definitely the restaurant, relative to my expectations, that fell short. A very enjoyable meal but perhaps lacking a bit in pizzazz. Wintertime perhaps doesn't make for having the best cuisine available.
-eMe Be Garrote (1 star, San Sebastian): loved the ambiance here (set in what looks like a redone barn, outfitted with rustic wooden finishes and lots of retro bikes hanging from the walls), and the food was fabulous as well. I somehow lucked into turning a glass of red into a little more than half a bottle for 16 euros - no complaints from me! English-speaking staff is definitely on the lighter side relative to other spots we went to - may have something to do with the restaurant being ~20 minutes outside of downtown San Sebastian.
-Azurmendi (3 stars, Bilbao): now that Hertog Jan closed in Bruges, this is now my new favorite restaurant in the world. Absolutely an incredibly immersive dining experience. Every single course was amazing. The walkthrough from the lush entrance, to the kitchen, then to a beautifully-appointed side room, is a great way of introducing the amuse-bouche courses. The wine pairing at 125 euros is a steal; you get treated to interesting wines all over the world, as well as some really old ones...I enjoyed a glass of 1975 vintage Rioja with one course, followed by a sherry wine that was laid down for aging in the 1950s(!). I usually am not a big fan of wine pairings, but wow...this one blew me away.

By far, I felt that Azurmendi was the can't-miss restaurant of the above ones I visited. I hope to make it back in the future (not sure how to swing it with a baby in tow...) for all the restaurants that were closed at this time of year.
bhrubin and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Great to hear that Michelin is coming back to LA - long overdue. I wonder how Melisse (my favorite restaurant in these parts) stacks up; I believe it had 2 stars before they decided to stop coverage of the region.
Melisse closed March 2...and is supposed to reopen later in 2019 with a new, less formal concept. I imagine Michelin's return will adjust things for them perhaps a bit.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Melisse closed March 2...and is supposed to reopen later in 2019 with a new, less formal concept. I imagine Michelin's return will adjust things for them perhaps a bit.
D'oh! Now I really wish I had shown up there before that...my one meal there (in July 2012...hard to believe it was so long ago) was a highlight of one of my only extended visits to SoCal since I moved away as a kid.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
We ate there at the end of November. It was a huge disappointment both food and service wise. It was nothing like our experience a few years before. I wasn't surprised that barely a week later they announced that they were closing.

Here is my Facebook post about its closing:
Last night I received an email from Melisse that they will be closing on March 3 and will be reopening in the summer with a new concept.

A few months ago, I read rumors that the restaurant's lease was up this coming January and there was speculation that it will close. [My wife] and I have been there before to celebrate her birthday, but [our daughter] has never eaten there and it was on her bucket list. I made a reservation for when she was going to be home when she was on a week's break from her residency at [a children's hospital].

Most of the food was well prepared, but the service was not up to par for a restaurant of that caliber and price range; it did not measure up to what I remembered from our prior visit. The captain who took our order was very conscientious of dietary restrictions and accommodated every one in our party; however, after that things went south. It was hard to get a waiter's attention when we needed something; at comparable restaurants, they seem to be able to read my mind and come to our table when I want to ask for something. At least half an hour passed between our finishing one course and clearing the table and the serving of the next course. Mid way through the seven course set menu, I asked them to speed things up; that was to no avail. After the second dessert, more than three hours after we sat down, I explained that my daughter was tired and had an early flight the next morning, and I asked for the check. It was brought promptly, but they never offered or brought the after dinner chocolates and petit fours that they normally serve at the end of the meal. I was going to ask to have those packed to go on our way out, but neither the hostess nor the maitre d were anywhere to be found.

Sad end to what used to be one of the best restaurants in the Los Angeles area.
Craig6z and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jbeans
CTBF is by far my favorite in the city. Ko is good, but I personally think the ingredients used at CTBF are more special, combined with a higher level of cooking technique. Keep in mind the price at CTBF includes service, so the difference is maybe not as big. Personally Ko was a go once and glad I tried type of place, whereas CTBF I've continuously gone back.

You're not missing out on much if you skip Per Se. If you enjoy classic French, I'd also recommend Le Coucou, Le Bernadin, and even Daniel I think is better than Per Se.
Sorry! Somehow I totally missed your response.

I just reached out to StR's concierge team and they heard that Chef Ramirez might be away first 2 weeks of July which is when I plan to go. If that's the case, that makes my decision easier as I would only want to go if Chef was there (plus I hear that when he's away they're actually closed).

I'm actually thinking of doing Le Coucou for lunch that same day to get the wife her French fix. We did Le Bernardin last time and absolutely loved it! Met Chef Eric Ripert as well which is a bonus.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

LeBernardin is just a wonderful experience and has been for decades. I am also a big fan of Jean-Georges as well, which had 3 stars for a number of years but has dropped to 2 stars. When in think of high end French food in NYC I think of LeBernardin. Been there a number of times over the years, although not recently, and was always just blown away by how good the food, service and ambience was. I would place Jean-Georges in close to that category.

I have not been to the new Joel Robuchon but really was impressed for our one visit to the old one. The new location has two stars. The old one was really kind of unique in combining fantastic food in a somewhat more casual setting.

If you arent tied to French you might try Tori Shin. It is a one star Japanese yakatori restaurant. Great little skewers of various chicken parts and some other things cooked over an open fire or hot stones. Chicken artery on a skewer anyone? But seriously it is great if you like non sushi Japanese. There are some Michelin starred sushi places as well.
I also had a great meal at Le Bernardin the last time I was in NY - enjoyed it much more than EMP.

I am a huge Yakitori fan after my last Japan trip but I'm not big into arteries and innards so a full tasting may not be for me. Japanese food is my love so I'm really tempted to do Sushi Amane or Noz but I'm going to Tokyo next month and will get a good sushi fix then and I want to make the NY trip more about the wife so I'll probably skip sushi this time around (unfortunately).

Thanks for your feedback!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.