Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC
I personally disagree with this based on my own experience. I know a lot of people don't like Bo Innovation by my one lunch meal there was amazing and I'd probably put it in my top 7 meals ever (I'd put it over EMP, actually). Amber was fantastic as well and while it's hard to rate dim sum, I will say Tin Lung Heen and Sun Tung Lok are very good. The one truly disappointing Michelin (3 stars, nonetheless) meal I had in HK was T'ang Court. Overall, I find the quality to be fairly consistent across the board but price wise I do find Michelin star restaurants to be quite a bit pricier.

Last edited by kiokujai; Feb 13, 2019 at 2:44 pm Reason: Oops meant to quote in response to previous comment
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AC
Planning to go to NYC in July for wedding anniversary. Will be there for 4 nights and tentatively thinking Marea, Peter Luger, and one of Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare or Momofuku Ko (for the night of our anni) for my dinners. I'm struggling a bit with the price of CT BF given the poor CAD:USD exchange rate, but a lot of people on forums say it's the "best" restaurant in NY currently. Ko is a lot cheaper and been on my list to go for a while now. A third choice might be Per Se, which is essentially just as expensive as CT BF but I've heard they declined in recent years. Considering it because the wife is a big fan of classic French.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by kiokujai
Planning to go to NYC in July for wedding anniversary. Will be there for 4 nights and tentatively thinking Marea, Peter Luger, and one of Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare or Momofuku Ko (for the night of our anni) for my dinners. I'm struggling a bit with the price of CT BF given the poor CAD:USD exchange rate, but a lot of people on forums say it's the "best" restaurant in NY currently. Ko is a lot cheaper and been on my list to go for a while now. A third choice might be Per Se, which is essentially just as expensive as CT BF but I've heard they declined in recent years. Considering it because the wife is a big fan of classic French.

CTBF is by far my favorite in the city. Ko is good, but I personally think the ingredients used at CTBF are more special, combined with a higher level of cooking technique. Keep in mind the price at CTBF includes service, so the difference is maybe not as big. Personally Ko was a go once and glad I tried type of place, whereas CTBF I've continuously gone back.

You're not missing out on much if you skip Per Se. If you enjoy classic French, I'd also recommend Le Coucou, Le Bernadin, and even Daniel I think is better than Per Se.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by jbeans
CTBF is by far my favorite in the city. Ko is good, but I personally think the ingredients used at CTBF are more special, combined with a higher level of cooking technique. Keep in mind the price at CTBF includes service, so the difference is maybe not as big. Personally Ko was a go once and glad I tried type of place, whereas CTBF I've continuously gone back.

You're not missing out on much if you skip Per Se. If you enjoy classic French, I'd also recommend Le Coucou, Le Bernadin, and even Daniel I think is better than Per Se.
LeBernardin is just a wonderful experience and has been for decades. I am also a big fan of Jean-Georges as well, which had 3 stars for a number of years but has dropped to 2 stars. When in think of high end French food in NYC I think of LeBernardin. Been there a number of times over the years, although not recently, and was always just blown away by how good the food, service and ambience was. I would place Jean-George’s in close to that category.

I have not been to the new Joel Robuchon but really was impressed for our one visit to the old one. The new location has two stars. The old one was really kind of unique in combining fantastic food in a somewhat more casual setting.

If you aren’t tied to French you might try Tori Shin. It is a one star Japanese yakatori restaurant. Great little skewers of various chicken parts and some other things cooked over an open fire or hot stones. Chicken artery on a skewer anyone? But seriously it is great if you like non sushi Japanese. There are some Michelin starred sushi places as well.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have not been to the new Joel Robuchon but really was impressed for our one visit to the old one. The new location has two stars. The old one was really kind of unique in combining fantastic food in a somewhat more casual setting.
Ah the old Robuchon was fantastic! The new one hasn't received particularly great reviews so far, but I feel compelled to try it anyway to see for myself, probably next month, will report back after.
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by kiokujai

I probably sound like a broken record on this thread but CT BF is the best restaurant in the city right now, period. They are at their peak and prime, having gone countless times over the past 2 years.
Per Se, despite some trip ups in the past years that kept me from going for awhile, is now in a very good place in my opinion. Had my birthday dinner there a month back and it was wonderful, but not at the level of wow! as CTBF. If the wife likes classic french though, I can't think of a better place. Probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite 3 star in the city (tied with Le Bernardin in my mind but I haven't been there in over a year so I'd have to see what it's like nowadays).
Ko is interesting, a whole different beast than the other restaurants in the category. I really liked the most of it, but failed to love any dish. Love the quirky ambiance and the experimentation though. I wouldn't consider it a special occasion dinner venue though, despite the high price and 2*.
Would skip Marea honestly unless you really need pasta and need to be in the midtown area. Two expensive dinners and left with nothing but disappointment and regret both times. Not apples-to-apples in terms of cuisine, but I would suggest places like the Bar Room at the Modern for a similar (or less) price tag and much MUCH better service/ambiance in the same area as Marea.
Have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How far out do you all recommend making reservations, specifically at places in Japan? We'd have to book through hotel concierge, but not wholly familiar with Japan. (specifically at some small-table Sushi restaurants I can imagine as early as possible? So many choices though...)
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
How far out do you all recommend making reservations, specifically at places in Japan? We'd have to book through hotel concierge, but not wholly familiar with Japan. (specifically at some small-table Sushi restaurants I can imagine as early as possible? So many choices though...)
Most of the M* sushi spots will open up res on the first of the month one month prior, for example if you want a res for Mar 15th, the res would be released on Feb 1. But you should always check the restaurant's website to confirm. General rule of thumb for a popular spot would be 1.5-2 months ahead I'd say.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:11 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
@Smiley90 Please report back on your experience!
I'm going again in May, so if I wanted anywhere special I guess I should be thinking about it now.
Last visit I was M* every night this time I might just go for okonomiyaki
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
@Smiley90 Please report back on your experience!
I'm going again in May, so if I wanted anywhere special I guess I should be thinking about it now.
Last visit I was M* every night this time I might just go for okonomiyaki
I will, but I'm not going until July We have a lot of time to decide between restaurants...
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:03 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
The only 3* I have been to in Japan are Sushi Saito and Sushi Yoshitake (both excellent).
You have cost me $$ as I'm now going to try for Kagurazaka Ishikawa
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:05 pm

Two friends and I have reservations for 4 at Noma for March 21, 2019. We are looking for someone to sit with us and take the 4th spot. Let me know if you are interested. Thank you, Tina (ex-consultant)
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:39 am

Have booked Alinea (3 star) and Oriole (2 star) during our stay in Chicago. Very excited!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zip10001
Going to Paris next month and made reservation at "LA DAME DE PIC" (1 Michelin star by star chef Anne-Sophie PIC) and "ACCENTS TABLES BOURSE" (newly-rewarded with 1 Michelin star in January 2019).
Quick report:
Our group of 4 had an amazing dinner at "Accents Tables Bourse". The chef is French, while the pastry chef is from Japan.
We had the 6-course menu for 68 euros, which is a steal and a lot of food. No menu. On top of my head:

appetizer 1: beet-infused egg, kale

appetitzer 2: scallop with radish

main course 1: monkfish, fat from ham, wine leaf

Main course 2: rack of lamb, jerusalem artichoke, pleurottes mushrooms

Dessert 1: meringue with yuzu drop, grapefruit

Dessert 2: "Mont-Blanc" with chesnut mousse ('creme de marrons')

Chiffon cake with pear ice-cream

A great experience, at a reasonable price.
Fliar and DeathSlam like this.

Last edited by zip10001; Feb 18, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
La Dame de Pic (1-Michelin start in Paris)

Originally Posted by zip10001
Going to Paris next month and made reservation at "LA DAME DE PIC" (1 Michelin star by star chef Anne-Sophie PIC) and "ACCENTS TABLES BOURSE" (newly-rewarded with 1 Michelin star in January 2019).
Menu "Plaisir" at LA DAME DE PIC in Paris (105 euros for 1 amuse-bouche, 2 appetizer, 1 main, 1 pre-dessert, 1 dessert,):
I feel like the chef tries too "hard", or perhaps I should have ordered different courses. However the GF enjoyed her meal. Her main course "Monkfish, iodized potatoes with crispy 'rouille', safran & Combawa emulsion" was really good, and something I would try to recreate.

amuse bouche: curry marshmallow, mushroom tart

---

Appetizer 1: foie gras de canard (poireaux et champignons fumés, cédrat confit) *really good*

---

----

appetizer 2: poached quail eggs (cromesquis de pied de cochon au miel, mousseline de pomme de terre, cresson, gingembre, matcha et vinaigre de Xérès) *the broth tasted weird at first sip*

----

Main: Deer (mariné au poivre Wayanad, pressé de choux et de coings, jus de chevreuil iodé et clémentine Corse) * the venison was amazing but I barely ate the cabbage side.

Pre-dessert / palate cleanser: some sort of citrus ice-cream

----

Girlfriend had the "white mille-feuille" for dessert (crème légère à la rose de Damas, confit au pamplemousse)

-----

My dessert: LE CHOCOLAT PIC (crème onctueuse et biscuit chocolat, confit au limequat du Mas Bachès, glace infusée au sobacha) * one of the best chocolate desserts I have ever had
Fliar and offerendum like this.

Last edited by zip10001; Feb 18, 2019 at 6:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.