Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I don't entirely agree.

We do a lot of tasting menus and for us the good ones have the 'snacks' at the beginning coming reasonably quickly and the spacing between dishes increases as you get deeper into the progression and especially between the main proteins. More so if they are pairing wines across two courses or less lest you end up with a table littered with half finished pours.

Of course, it has something to do with the chef, but I suspect there's a cultural element as well. Just like portion sizes vary by locale, so can the speed of consumption. Some people just like to eat quickly while we like to savour our food, have a pleasant conversation and otherwise enjoy the craft of the chef. The 'best' restaurants get this and adjust the service pacing to match their patrons seamlessly. Other places need a gentle reminder.

Case in point - we pushed back a little at the service pacing on our first visit to Le Calandre. About three minutes later Chef Alajmo came to our table, asked if everything was fine and said he had no problem adjusting the pace of the service. In fact he seemed pleased as he lamented that some diners seem to just want to rush through their meals. He joined us after dessert and we chatted about other restaurants we had visited on that trip.

But in the end, it's up to personal taste and we each have our own standards of how quickly we like to eat and the 'right' way to run a service. And a great restaurant can keep us all happy.
I dont disagree completely. As with all things, context matters.

Ive actually rarely complained about pacing until it surpasses 15 min or so beyond the clearing of the last course, in truth. We like to dine. We dont like to feel rushed. But we also dont like waiting for too long. In every rare instance when weve actually complained, the chef or kitchen always has acknowledged that it was a mistake on their part. So I feel comfortable judging this for ourselves.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I dont disagree completely. As with all things, context matters.

Ive actually rarely complained about pacing until it surpasses 15 min or so beyond the clearing of the last course, in truth. We like to dine. We dont like to feel rushed. But we also dont like waiting for too long. In every rare instance when weve actually complained, the chef or kitchen always has acknowledged that it was a mistake on their part. So I feel comfortable judging this for ourselves.
I think high end restaurants have a feeling what guests like. Sometimes you can experience that 2 tables star a menu at the same time but in a different speed. I also was asked if I perfer my next course sooner or later. For me no proble, everyone should have the experience expected. For me it also depends on mood. There are evenings I enjoy my time at the restaurant and it could last for hours and sometimes (even if the food is good) I wish to have a faster meal.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:58 pm

Anyone try the Hong Kong Sushi Saito yet?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by offerendum
I think high end restaurants have a feeling what guests like. Sometimes you can experience that 2 tables star a menu at the same time but in a different speed. I also was asked if I perfer my next course sooner or later. For me no proble, everyone should have the experience expected. For me it also depends on mood. There are evenings I enjoy my time at the restaurant and it could last for hours and sometimes (even if the food is good) I wish to have a faster meal.
Grace (the now-closed 3* restaurant in Chicago) explicitly told us they had someone watching and timing the pacing at which folks were eating to calibrate the timing by table. That said, I felt it was still too fast - just because we were eating our courses relatively quickly didn't mean that we immediately wanted the next one out. As such, that was a ~1h45m experience that felt way too rushed.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:22 pm

Ate dinner at Benu a couple nights ago. What a fantastic meal. Very impressed they are able to incorporate pretty much every Asian cuisine into a 'fusion' dinner, although Chinese and Korean figure more prominently than others. Meal went along at what felt like a very nice pace for 2.5 hours. Half of the meal are the intro bites, which are not individually listed on the menu. $310 + 20% fixed gratuity is steep, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd definitely revisit.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Ate dinner at Benu a couple nights ago. What a fantastic meal. Very impressed they are able to incorporate pretty much every Asian cuisine into a 'fusion' dinner, although Chinese and Korean figure more prominently than others. Meal went along at what felt like a very nice pace for 2.5 hours. Half of the meal are the intro bites, which are not individually listed on the menu. $310 + 20% fixed gratuity is steep, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd definitely revisit.
Benu and Atelier Crenn have been my faves in SF, reinforced by my dinners this year. Glad you enjoyed it, too!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:41 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I had lunch at Gramercy Tavern over the weekend. Ate in the dining room and had a fantastic lunch as usual.

I had the fried chicken sandwich as my main and it was phenomenal. Also, the desserts are absolutely amazing - the baklava ice cream was especially good.
PsiFighter37 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Going to Paris next month and made reservation at "LA DAME DE PIC" (1 Michelin star by star chef Anne-Sophie PIC) and "ACCENTS TABLES BOURSE" (newly-rewarded with 1 Michelin star in January 2019).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by zip10001
Going to Paris next month and made reservation at "LA DAME DE PIC" (1 Michelin star by star chef Anne-Sophie PIC) and "ACCENTS TABLES BOURSE" (newly-rewarded with 1 Michelin star in January 2019).
Are you aware that Pierre Gagnaire has a 90 euro lunch special (which is no longer on their website but u can write to them to confirm)? It is quite an experience and amazing food (and service of course)!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Are you aware that Pierre Gagnaire has a 90 euro lunch special (which is no longer on their website but u can write to them to confirm)? It is quite an experience and amazing food (and service of course)!
We will be in Paris during a week-end, so most restaurants (including the one you suggested) are closed. Thanks though
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
50 best just has some nuts things in there for me, Gaggan at no.5 I cannot understand - and I liked it and thought it was fun - but no way top ten or perhaps even top 30 material for me. Actually the place oppposite Gaggan, Gaa, I think could give it a run for its money as it has improved a lot recently.

We did Gaa last night, and going to Gaggan tonight (for the 2nd time - wanted to hit it again before he closes in BKK)....we had a very enjoyable dinner at Gaa. Solid tasting menu with some interesting dishes.

Will just mention 1 thing here - dining with my wife & in-laws, as mentioned overall the meal was great...but we did have 2 incidents that kind of took me by surprise, and especially at the lack of response by the restaurant. Wanted to see what folks here think/would have done (if anything)?

Everything was going along nicely, and then on ~course 7 (the flatbread dish, if anyone has eaten here recently), the 2 servers arrived at the table with 2 dishes each, and as the one server went to place the dish to my wife, he let the 2nd dish tilt and the flatbread slide off, hit my FiL's sleeve and went to the floor. They immediately apologized, of course, and quickly cleaned, and re-served the dish (they both went back to the kitchen and returned with the dishes). As I said, it did catch me by surprise, an unusual occurrence (for me at least) at a M* restaurant, but accidents do happen.

Well not 15-20 min later, as they served the "main" course (the roasted jackfruit dish), with all the accompanying small condiment bowls, the server (not the same one) was moving my wife's wine & water glasses, and upended the water glass on the table (at least it wasn't the wine!) and it spilled down into her lap. Wow, now we were quite surprised. One server accompanied my wife as she went to the washroom, and they tidied up the table.

Here's the thing - after that, and the initial apologies, not 1 word was said further. And especially the maitre'd/sommelier (the guy seemed the be the head of service?) never came to the table again - until he presented the bill.

Now I wasn't really expecting anything more than a quick check on us, and maybe once again apology. But to not have one word said, well just struck us as interesting. As far as we could tell there were no other incidents for any other diners, so I'm sure it's not a normal occurrence.
Again, no harm was done, no clothes soiled or ruined, but the lack of acknowledgement seemed off?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MillValleyMom
Heading to Modena this July and want to make sure I snag a reservation at Osteria Francescana. Has anyone had success using the concierge service through their Platinum Amex to book this reservation?
Yes, been successful. My understanding is that Amex has a special relationship with this restaurant. They were able to book and confirm earlier than the typical 3 month window.
bhrubin and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:35 pm

Doing a birthday dinner at an old reliable this year - Gramercy Tavern - next week. I would usually want to seek out something new (I was thinking of L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon), but the wife overruled.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:51 pm

Going to be in SFO for a day or two at the end of a Napa valley trip in April, probably will only have time to visit 1 M* restaurant before flying back, so the big question is -- Benu or Saison? Any input is appreciated!
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jbeans
Going to be in SFO for a day or two at the end of a Napa valley trip in April, probably will only have time to visit 1 M* restaurant before flying back, so the big question is -- Benu or Saison? Any input is appreciated!
Tough call. I would give the edge to Benu based on shear variety. But you won't go wrong either way.
jbeans likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.