Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Anniversary dinner tomorrow night at Aska (2 stars) in Brooklyn...the pictures online make it look quite good!
Hope you have a great meal there! My husband and I went there last year around this time for our anniversary as well, and we really enjoyed it. They have a very interesting wine list!

This year's anniversary (next weekend) we are trying out Atomix. It's new and not yet Michelin rated, curious to see if it'll be a strong contender.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jbeans
Hope you have a great meal there! My husband and I went there last year around this time for our anniversary as well, and we really enjoyed it. They have a very interesting wine list!

This year's anniversary (next weekend) we are trying out Atomix. It's new and not yet Michelin rated, curious to see if it'll be a strong contender.
It was very good, but I am a bit torn - the food looked better than I thought it tasted (on balance), and the regular meal felt like it meandered a bit without as much direction as other tasting menus. Some bites were knocked out of the park - I liked the quail a lot; the oyster with juniper oil was phenomenal, and the birchwood ice cream with candied mushrooms - wow. The use of woodsy herbs and aromatics was quite impressive. That said, I kind of felt the same way I did when I walked out of the old Atera - slickly-prepped food that had some ‘wow’ dishes, but not ‘wow’ throughout the meal. When you spend almost $900(!!!, including beverage pairings), I expect to be wowed with virtually every bite.

Some pictures below - as noted, the food is gorgeously plated throughout:

Quail leg

Skate wing

First bread course

Lettuce root with caviar

Shrimp heads with dill and lamb fat

Mignardises

Birchwood ice cream
United747 and jbeans like this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Looking at my trip at the end of the year...do folks have any suggestions for the below?

1) Dinner in Ghent - I see 3-4 1-star Michelins in the area...wasn't sure if folks had a strong opinion on which one would be best to eat at
2) Dinner spots in Tokyo that would be open on December 30, 31, or January 1 (probably a steep task) that are NOT sushi restaurants
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Looking at my trip at the end of the year...do folks have any suggestions for the below?

1) Dinner in Ghent - I see 3-4 1-star Michelins in the area...wasn't sure if folks had a strong opinion on which one would be best to eat at
2) Dinner spots in Tokyo that would be open on December 30, 31, or January 1 (probably a steep task) that are NOT sushi restaurants
Don't know if they're open those dates but highly recommend Le Sputnik Tokyo!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by estnet
Don't know if they're open those dates but highly recommend Le Sputnik Tokyo!
+1 for sure
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:52 am

When we visited Singapore, there were two hawker stalls that had a Michelin star. We wrote about one of them in another thread: Cheapest (6 EUR) Michelin-starred meal in the world!

We wanted to try the second one as well, but they had ran out of food by the time we got there.

We also went to the Pavilion rouge, a proper michelin starred restaurant, where we had the taster menu. It was really good and delicious food. High quality ingredients and good flavours. But comparing it to some of the michelin restaurants we went to in Europe, the quality isn't the same.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...

Jan Van den Bon and Horseele are rather classic, what you expect from a 1-2 *
Publiek is much more accessible and eccentric. 20% of tables can be reserved by phone on the day only, could be a good option if you can't get a table somewhere else.
There are some good restaurants that do not have a *: I recommend Volta and Vrijmoed.
3* Hof Van Cleve is 30 minutes drive, different league (also price wise...), one of the best in the world.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:45 pm

Hi, I'm new to the forum but for the past 3 or so years I've been travelling a fair based purely on restaurants where I can get reservations. In that time, I've managed to eat at restaurants with a combined total of around 70 stars (which is just about all poor wallet could take!) including restaurants like Osteria Francescana, Noma (both original and 2.0).

As this is my first post here I thought I'd just do a quick little comparison of the 3* restaurants in San Sebastian (unfortunately, I was unable to get reservations at Mugaritz, Extebarri, Elkano or Ibai for this trip - ah well, maybe another time!). These were from a trip I took towards the tail end of 2016

Azurmendi - Whimsical, fun cooking, especially at the beginning of the meal when you are led into a greenhouse where amouse bouches are disguised to look like natural objects

Martin Berasategui - Excellent cooking, and in terms of pure flavour probably my favourite, with

Arzak - despite the , I was rather underwhelmed by the meal I had here. The cooking was just competent, and lacked a certain 'wow' factor

Akelare - possibly the worst 3* meal I have ever had, disappointing flavours, and rather lacklustre service, something I don't expect to see in a 3* restaurant.

Not a michelin starred restaurant, but I had the best steak and best spanish omelette I have ever had at Bar Nestor (a friend of mine who had managed to go to Extebarri also preferred the steak at Nestor). The omelette, slightly gooey in the middle is well worth the queue to pre-order.

If anyone wants particular pictures I can see if I can dig them out
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:28 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
We ate at Dill in Reykjavik last week, the country's sole starred restaurant (1*). Opted for the 7 course tasting menu (no substitutions) at 13,900 kroner (about $140), without wine pairings (an extra 11,900 kr). My apologies for the way the photos have gotten out of order... the meal went snacks, potatoes, sunchokes, beetroot, cabbage, chicken, dessert 1, and then dessert 2. They also included a little "to go" baggie signed by the entire staff which included sundry petit fours.

Sunchokes with skyr (Icelandic cheese/yogurt) and dill. This dish featured sunchokes several different ways, including roasted, pickled, and as you can see on top, dried. Really nice mix of flavors and textures.

Beetroot with crowberries & goat cheese. The beetroot was very well-prepared (one of several beet dishes I've had recently which was, and I don't even like beets), and the crowberries a nice tartness to offset the earthy beet. Needed a bit more cheese, though, which seemed an afterthought.

Snacks, course #2 . Veggies include rutabaga, celeriac, and radish & carrot. Continued the generous champagne pour from the first snacks course.

Dessert #2 : Rhubarb with cream and strawberries.

Potatoes, apples, and sea truffles. This was a tasty dish which balanced textures (creamy, soft, and firm) and flavors.

Main course: Barley with chicken & grass. This was the only "miss" for me in the dishes of the evening; there wasn't anything special about the chicken, and crispy chicken skin is fine, but not as tasty as pork or duck. The barley was tasty and was what my wife ate (as they didn't have a vegetarian/pescatarian option). The chicken was a bit fatty & gristly; all-in-all, it seemed an odd dish that didn't go with the rest of the menu.

Snacks, course #1 . I think these are, from left to right: rye with horse mussel; leek & goose; and cod & roasted onion. Paired with a glass of Christophe Mignon Brut Nature (extra 3000 kr).

Cabbage, onion, and butter. This was a fantastic course and made me wonder why I don't cook with cabbage more often. The presentation isn't all that, but the flavors just popped.

Dessert course #1 : "Cookie" with thyme ice cream. There was also a marscapone or skyr cream cheese of some sort in the disk. The green is a syrup prepared from, if I heard correctly, grass; it had a spruce-like flavor and worked very well to balance the dish. It was a great dessert!
offerendum and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:23 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I also really enjoyed Dill - it was one of the meal highlights of our trip to Iceland.

And, since we were staying at the Hotel 101, it was a short stagger across the street to get home for the night.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Interesting to the the first report about Dill here at Flyertalk (as far as I know).
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
We also visited Matur og Drykkur, a Bib Gourmand restaurant in Reykjavik, although we went for the tasting menus vs. the "bargain" meals. I'll post some photos & descriptions in a bit. Overall, the high-end places in Iceland were pretty good, all things considered, and on a per-kroner basis, were a better value than most of the regular restaurants. I'd rather pay $100-$130 for a great multi-course dinner of interesting dishes than $50 for a lackluster lunch of burgers & fries or lamb stew or fish & chips, etc. Our most expensive lunch was at Brewdog, which just opened recently, though half the price ($80) was the beer we had; the food was not unreasonable, I suppose, and at least wasn't just normal pub grub at wildly-inflated prices.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:05 am

Not officially "Michelin" but I'll be going to Pujol in Mexico City for their lunch and dinner menus next week!
bhrubin, jbeans and ubiest like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I went to Tickets Bar last weekend, Albert Adria's Michelin starred "Tapas Bar". My expectations were high the overall experience exceeded them. The food (while not my style) consistently tasted strong and amazing. Service was excellent and most importantly the whole thing was just a lot of fun.

We gave the restaurant carte blanche which meant a whole load of tapas and a very well selected list of ultra-rare Spanish wines to match. I'd definitely recommend doing this if you're going to go. Given the venue, the wine matching was relatively conservative - no vermouths, cocktails or beer, which was a bit of a surprise given current trends.

I don't want to go into too much detail or post any food photos as I think you'll get the most out of the venue if you don't over-analyse it beforehand. Definitely recommended and well worth its star.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I went to Tickets Bar last weekend, Albert Adria's Michelin starred "Tapas Bar". My expectations were high the overall experience exceeded them. The food (while not my style) consistently tasted strong and amazing. Service was excellent and most importantly the whole thing was just a lot of fun.

We gave the restaurant carte blanche which meant a whole load of tapas and a very well selected list of ultra-rare Spanish wines to match. I'd definitely recommend doing this if you're going to go. Given the venue, the wine matching was relatively conservative - no vermouths, cocktails or beer, which was a bit of a surprise given current trends.

I don't want to go into too much detail or post any food photos as I think you'll get the most out of the venue if you don't over-analyse it beforehand. Definitely recommended and well worth its star.
He's featured in the new season of Chef's Table on Netflix!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.