Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict

Definitely Paris. I say go with lunch at Epicure or Astrance or Pierre Gagnaire.
Depends on your liking. In average I enjoyed restaurants in London more than in Paris. I would go for Ledbury. But as I said, I will be relative exclusive with this opinion at this forum. Nevertheless both cities offers great options, with nearly double prices in Paris if this is relevant for you.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji

Lastly, a totally unrelated question. I am spending a week in London and Paris in September, and looking to hit one 2-3* place total. Any recommendations given that the plan is to only go to one? I'd imagine Paris is probably better but I'm looking for expert opinion here!

I liked Hedone. Comfortable, not overly formal. It's not a restaurant that challenges the senses with forward-thinking, but the flavors from each dish were superb. It's the only London restaurant I visit regularly.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Fliar
What's all this fuss about a jacket? Is it really that much hassle to wear one? As for the reason, it's one way of ensuring that people consider what they're wearing when they visit a special place. Some of you may be wearing perfectly tidy clothes and this rule isn't really for you - it's for all the uncivilised and inconsiderate people who show up in torn shorts and dirty sneakers.
I find wearing a coat while dining cumbersome and makes the experience less enjoyable. My problem has always been feeling warm when I sit at a table for too long--and now that I've added some cellular insulation--it's even worse.

But I also don't try to break rules or make exceptions for the sake of other diners who enjoy dining in style--I just seek other places that don't require it.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
This is true - the format of Next having 3 different menus a year doesn't fit the Michelin "model". I love the variety it offers.

Regarding the questions about Alinea - yes, I would go back. But I can only afford that level of meal every so often, and there are still many other places I want to try! The food tasted great, although there were a couple misses for me, as I expect there would be for everyone given personal tastes.

Lastly, a totally unrelated question. I am spending a week in London and Paris in September, and looking to hit one 2-3* place total. Any recommendations given that the plan is to only go to one? I'd imagine Paris is probably better but I'm looking for expert opinion here!

Sorry, I misread your post initially. I would also say Paris and recommend either Pierre Gagnaire or Arpege.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Arpege.
Not a big fan, even if I don´t eat meat so I would be the logical choice.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Going soon to "Le Coucou" in NYC (1 Michelin *), heard great things about the French food there
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:21 pm

I don't think Le Coucou ever got that Michelin Star. And I fully agree with that snub. While the food was solidly good (not amazing), the service was atrocious when I last visited. Seating 30 mins after reservation time without any apology or recovery. Waitress was also very slow and not knowledgeable about the dishes. Due to their popularity, they pack the dining room to the brim; you're about 3 inches away from the next table.

Not a very pleasant dining experience overall. Tasty veal tongue and sweetbreads though!

Originally Posted by zip10001
Going soon to "Le Coucou" in NYC (1 Michelin *), heard great things about the French food there
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Thanks for all of the helpful advice. I'm leaning towards checking out more of the interesting non * places in London, like St John and Chutney Mary, and then hitting Astrance in Paris.

Went to Parachute in Chicago for an excellent meal - however I'd recommend ordering a la carte instead of the tasting menu, because the tasting menu doesn't get you anything that isn't on the regular menu - so just pick the dishes that sound best to you. Highlights were the potato bread and the smoked tofu skins.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by zip10001
Michelin Plate, not a Michelin :-:.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I have one word for you - Roister.
We've been there for brunch and loved the foie toast. Haven't made it for dinner yet.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Had lunch last weekend at Jean-Georges in NYC. I think this was my first visit since the downgrade to two stars. I think that’s where they should be. The service still seems disconnected and rigid. At least they didn’t ask “have you dined with us before?” like they did every other time I’ve eaten there. I would have given a really snarky response had they done so.

I had the madai sashimi, sweetbreads, and chocolate dessert. My companion had the corn ravioli, fish in broth (forgot what fish exactly), and the cherry dessert.

Overall, the food was very good. Just as good as the other times I’ve been. I also had a half bottle of white wine that was just ok, they didn’t have too big of a selection of half bottles which was a little unfortunate. But that’s to be expected. The meal was too short for me to get a full bottle

I’ll continue to go back, but I don’t see them regaining the third star until the service goes up a notch.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I really don't think losing the third star had anything to do with service. I understand that it's difficult not to subconsciously factor that in but I do give the Michelin inspectors credit enough to parse out service versus food!

I also wanted to chime in that I had a marvelous meal at 3-starred Maaemo in Oslo. Probably one of my top 3 meals ever, and this was my 18th 3-star restaurant. The signature dish of oyster crème with dill emulsion and caviar might be the best thing I've ever eaten. I also loved the sour cream with reindeer heart; chicken skin tartlet with mahogany clam, truffle seaweed, and celeriac; and crab dumplings (with leek as the dumpling) with a leek and scallop roe sauce! Wine pairings were wonderful, as well, including a 2004 Volnay 1er Cru.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Any recommendations for Chicago at lunch on a Friday?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ringingup
Any recommendations for Chicago at lunch on a Friday?

Check, but I think Roister is open for Brunch on Friday. I highly recommend both the brunch and dinner there.
ringingup likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
More details to come, but had meals this past week in San Francisco/Oakland at:

2* Commis: a cool space but with an underwhelming overall dinner experience. A few dishes that left us confused. An overcooked sea bass course that I sent back, replaced with excellent example. Cold and detached service overall. Felt more like 1*. Wouldn’t jump to return. We all were disappointed.

1* In Situ: another great but very pricey lunch!

1* Mourad: our best dinner here ever, always delicious food but superb service and wine recommendations all around. Amazing.

3* Saison: amazingly simplified and far more approachable and yet still delicious and inventive menu since our dinner here 4 years ago, with just as incredible wine pairings and truly wonderful and yet extremely friendly service. A true winner again, just as before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.