Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I went to Rustic Table in Dublin last night, a Michelin listed (not *'d) restaurant run by one of the judges of Ireland Masterchef. It's a really interesting concept which combined a steakhouse and modern Michelin type cooking with health food (and - generally - successfully). The food tasted as good as I'd expect, but what was interesting was that I was able to design a meal which was as protein focused as if I were in a gym's canteen. I'd love to see more fine dining go this way. In the meantime on Friday I'm going to the 3* Le Cinq on Friday, which I very much doubt will be as good for my waistline.
Are you perhaps referring to Rustic Stone? If so, I agree with your recommendation - I thought it was really nice. I was prepared to walk out when I saw the 'cook your own food on the stone' thing, but very glad I stayed.

PS - Looks like there's also a "Taste at Rustic".

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Feb 16, 2018 at 6:58 am
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Oops - yes. Rustic Stone, although I think it says "Taste by Rustic" on the door.

Went to Le Cinq yesterday. A beautiful venue and competent enough (if a bit odd) service, but 600EUR for the smaller set lunch and a couple of drinks for two was ridiculous. While the cooking was technically impressive, it lacked the great taste that one expects at a 3* venue. I'm afraid that I can't recommend it and certainly doesn't compare to some other 3*'s (Martin Berasategui immediately comes to mind as looking similar, but being an entirely different experience).
CappuccinoAddict likes this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Feb 17, 2018 at 3:13 am
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:20 am

Went to the 1 star Grand Coeur in the Marais in Paris. Lovely dining room, reasonable prices, standout dish was a “deconstructed” seafood lasagne with a stunning broth. Also a saffron mussel gratin. Only complaint was tepid food temperatures which i find a lot in France and I put down to national preferences. Decided to change reservation from Allard a few days before, happy that we made the right choice.
in4tar likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:03 pm

If someone has been to both of these Tokyo restaurants Ryugin (3 star) and Narisawa (I believe 1 star) - could you compare them? Narisawa is higher on Pellegrino list though. I have been to Ryugin and really enjoyed it. But during my upcoming trip I can choose either one or another, so hopefully someone can help with this dilemma.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by in4tar
If someone has been to both of these Tokyo restaurants Ryugin (3 star) and Narisawa (I believe 1 star) - could you compare them? Narisawa is higher on Pellegrino list though. I have been to Ryugin and really enjoyed it. But during my upcoming trip I can choose either one or another, so hopefully someone can help with this dilemma.
I've been to both--I prefer Ryugin to Narisawa. A restaurant I also prefer to Narisawa is Den. Much more laid back but creative style.
in4tar likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Just ate at minibar by Jose Andres in Washington, DC--2*. Saturday night over Easter weekend.

All four of us agreed the menu and almost all the courses were fantastic...but left us still hungry, something that is quite rare for me at Michelin 2-3* restaurants, to be honest. At $275 per person, that was disappointing.

There was one squab dish that was served rare that all of us despised; none of us could eat more than a few bites. No one asked about this, which was surprising.

The wine pairings were the stingiest pours I've ever experienced at any top restaurant. One of us did the cheapest $110 pairing, two of us did the medium $175 pairing, and I did the ultra $500 pairing. All of the pours were incredibly stingy. I found myself avoiding drinking at all through some courses so I'd have wine to last.

Overall: I'd give it 3 out of 5. We all are glad we dined there, but none of us felt it was worth the price. The experience was lacking because of not being enough food, stingiest wine pours ever, and notable lack of concern over a horrible squab dish.
Originally Posted by LizGross144
Did any of your dining companions finish their wine pour well before they had finished their dish? I've found that at some of my favorite restaurants, if I'm clearly drinking more than what they're pouring, they'll keep pouring (especially with the high end pairing). I wouldn't expect this to occur throughout the meal, but would for at least 2-3 dishes in say an 8 course menu.
I know these are older posts, but I came across them while looking over reviews of the Greenhouse in Dublin (where we're going next month)... and I have an observation from another DC 2-star joint: Pineapple & Pearls.

We did the pairing when we ate their last summer, and the staff offered to top off any one of the pairings throughout the meal. As I was driving, I kept things in moderation, but I was a bit surprised they were so quick to offer additional pours.

I'm thinking back over a few other places we opted for the pairing last year... seems like Funky Gourmet in Athens did fairly generous pours to begin with, as did the other Michelin-starred place we ate in Athens, so we never ran into a problem. At Catbird Seat in Nashville, they did offer to top off a couple of the pairings (a beer and a couple of the wines, IIRC) as well.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Saturday night in London

5 of us had a great dinner at "LIMA Fitzrovia" in London (1 Michelin Star) by the world-renowned Peruvian chef, Virgilio Martinez.
Many exotic ingredients are used in the meals so that turned into a real experience.

And the Passion Fruit Pisco Sour is :-:

Virgilio's main restaurant in Lima, Peru was ranked #10 on The San Pellegrino's Top Restaurants List.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by zip10001
5 of us had a great dinner at "LIMA Fitzrovia" in London (1 Michelin Star) by the world-renowned Peruvian chef, Virgilio Martinez.
Many exotic ingredients are used in the meals so that turned into a real experience.

And the Passion Fruit Pisco Sour is :-:

Virgilio's main restaurant in Lima, Peru was ranked #10 on The San Pellegrino's Top Restaurants List.
^

Actually, Central in Lima is #5 on the list--and is exquisite. Our send favorite meal in Peru!
zip10001 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I had lunch recently with several friends at The Fat Duck. I have to say that as an experience, it was one of my favorites. I loved how they integrated memories from our questionnaires into the meal; it created a lot of joy for us. As for the food, some of the dishes I loved (Anjou pigeon, langoustine lasagna, the "botrytis cinerea" dessert, the "sound of the sea," the crab with caviar, the beetroot macaron) but several of them fell flat--the "hot and cold" tea just tasted like lukewarm coldbrew, I wasn't a fan of the crab and passionfruit ice cream, and I didn't love the botanicals/artichoke ice cream or the baby powder dessert. I also felt the petit fours were average.

The service was simply stellar, however. And I thoroughly enjoyed my top-tier wine pairing, although the price was astronomical. But it included a 2006 Chevalier-Montrachet from Domaine Leflaive and a 2004 Richebourg from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, so I was a happy camper! I also very much enjoyed my nama daiginjo sake paired with the "Sound of the Sea," served in a Lalique glass.
Fliar likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Had a pleasant lunch at Patrick Guilbaud in Dublin over the weekend, a relatively traditional 2* French restaurant. The quality of food was on par with what we'd experienced in Paris the week before, and it was interesting to see that Dublin can sustain that level of cost and expertise over a decade in what until recently was a city without a whole load of foodie options. Particularly impressive was the lesser known vintage champagne selection from quite a wide range of small growers.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Guy Savoy Las Vegas

Had dinner last night at Guy Savoy in Las Vegas. I was blown away! I've eaten at the Paris outpost a few years ago and this was on par with that. I had the seared foie gras starter, signature artichoke and truffle soup, and sea bass as a main (I will post some pics later)

Service was very refined, but they knew which tables they could play with. They were really talkative with me and were very hospitable, which I really like when dining solo. The sommelier was also very attentive and checked on me several times which surprised me because all the tables around me were ordering flagship wines while I had a whopping $72 bottle! The wine list itself was massive and had a lot of really good deals.

If the guide ever goes back to Las Vegas, I hope they get 3*. And I can't wait to go back.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

L'effervescence in Tokyo (dinner, 2*) was a phenomenal meal. Modern French using as much seasonal and locally produced ingredients as possible.

Not unreasonably priced either at 20000 yen pp. Loved the poetic and quirky names that each dish got such as:
"Red sky, purple ocean", "A fixed point", "World Peace".

Awesome handwhisked matcha to end the course meal.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by United747
If the guide ever goes back to Las Vegas, I hope they get 3*. And I can't wait to go back.
But then the price will double
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by in4tar
I think Narisawa is a 2 star now. They're both different styles and I enjoy them both. I'd say go with Narisawa since you already did Ryugin.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by estnet
But then the price will double
IIRC it's almost impossible for Guy Savoy to double from its current price in Vegas...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.