Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What do folks think about Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in London? It's open on Christmas Day, which is why I booked a reservation for dinner there, but one of my coworkers (who is a London native) said it is vastly overrated.
Had Lunch in July last year. Interesting, but also overrated in my eyes.
My review: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26997801-post364.html
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:38 am

What do folks think about Dinner by Heston Blumenthal in London? It's open on Christmas Day, which is why I booked a reservation for dinner there, but one of my coworkers (who is a London native) said it is vastly overrated.
I actually enjoyed my meal at Dinner but at the same time I didn't see anything to justify the ridiculous amount of critical acclaim heaped upon the restaurant. I think you stand a good chance of having a decent meal there, just don't expect it to rise to Michelin star dining, let alone best in the world type fare. So yes, extremely overrated, but maybe okay if you lower your expectations.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about a meal I had at Chez Bruce last year. Now that was a really memorable London meal, in sharp contrast to so many disappointing ones I've had of late.
offerendum likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
On that note then - does anyone know of any other Michelin-starred restaurants that are open on Christmas Day for dinner in London?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:47 am

On that note then - does anyone know of any other Michelin-starred restaurants that are open on Christmas Day for dinner in London?
That is a very tall order - I looked this morning and I don't see anything.

Update - two minutes ago I got an email from the Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester team advertising a special Christmas Day lunch menu. Six courses plus wine pairing for £350/pp. Maybe Christmas day lunch would be easier to find than Christmas day dinner.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Nov 28, 2017 at 7:12 am
Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Helene Darroze at the Connaught is open, and it's one of my favorite restaurants in London. I'll be back there for dinner with a friend next weekend. Wine there has very high markups though, but they have a fantastic selection.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Six courses plus wine pairing for £350/pp.
Nice premium Even compared to Christmas Eve....
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Nice premium Even compared to Christmas Eve....
Yep, just throwing it out there for his consideration
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, just throwing it out there for his consideration
Of course! If someone like to eat at a high level resturant on Christmas it´s not going to be cheap..... Have this problem every year at New Year's Eve. I´m not really ready to pay the prices they claim, especially as I´m not a fan of New Year's Eve. Just a normal day with a lot of pollution and disturbance at night.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: some
We had lunch at Dinner in the week it opened and thought it was superb (service, setting and food) but standards may have slipped since then!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fliar
We had lunch at Dinner in the week it opened and thought it was superb (service, setting and food) but standards may have slipped since then!
It was recommended to me shortly after it opened but I decided to go with the starred restaurants. Was it in 2011?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 8:58 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We had dinner at the Chef Table's at Dinner, and I wasn't crazy about it, nor was I at his flagship this summer, but figured it had more due to my tastes than the restaurant.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:21 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DSI
We had dinner at the Chef Table's at Dinner, and I wasn't crazy about it, nor was I at his flagship this summer, but figured it had more due to my tastes than the restaurant.
Nope. It’s the restaurant.

Everyone I actually know who has been to Dinner has been woefully disappointed. Everyone I actually know who has been to the Fat Duck also has been woefully disappointed. Those whose opinions I always trust online who have been to either also have been woefully disappointed. We were there at Dinner many years ago, and we all were woefully disappointed.

I think it’s fair to say that Heston Blumenthal may be the most overrated chef and have the most overrated restaurants in the entire Michelin guide. If Heston Blumental is involved, the one thing I can be certain of is that I will be woefully disappointed. It’s more like Hubris Blumenthal to me.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 1, 2017 at 9:02 am
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Nope. It’s the restaurant.

Everyone I actually know who has been to Dinner has been woefully disappointed. Everyone I actually know who has been to the Fat Duck also has been woefully disappointed. Those whose opinions I always trust online who have been to either also have been woefully disappointed. We were there at Dinner many years ago, and we all were woefully disappointed.

I think its it’s fair to say that Heston Blumenthal may be the most overrated chef and have the most overrated restaurants in the entire Michelin guide. If Heston Blumental is involved, the one thing I can be certain of is that I will be woefully disappointed. It’s more like Hubris Blumenthal to me.
Hubris Blumenthal... LOL. I'll be at The Fat Duck in February. I'll happily report back. Do any of you read elizabethonfood.com? Elizabeth has been to and reviews many Michelin starred restaurants around the world, similar to Andy Hayler, and she adores the Fat Duck and has been several times.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Hubris Blumenthal... LOL. I'll be at The Fat Duck in February. I'll happily report back. Do any of you read elizabethonfood.com? Elizabeth has been to and reviews many Michelin starred restaurants around the world, similar to Andy Hayler, and she adores the Fat Duck and has been several times.
I can't comment on the Fat Duck because I haven't been, but I can comment on one of Heston Blumenthal's other famous restaurants - the Perfectionist's Café at Heathrow T2, of course. I'm surprised that he would allow his name to be associated with this place. I thought it was disgusting and I'm guessing that he probably has no involvement whatsoever other than they paid him to use his name. Or maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he isn't involved. To me it seems like his version of a Krusty Burger franchise.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:14 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I can't comment on the Fat Duck because I haven't been, but I can comment on one of Heston Blumenthal's other famous restaurants - the Perfectionist's Café at Heathrow T2, of course. I'm surprised that he would allow his name to be associated with this place. I thought it was disgusting and I'm guessing that he probably has no involvement whatsoever other than they paid him to use his name. Or maybe I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he isn't involved. To me it seems like his version of a Krusty Burger franchise.
+1 I made that mistake as well. I'd have been better of grazing in the lounge than overpaying for this mediocrity. I'm back through in a couple of weeks and won't make the same mistake twice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.