Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My wife's relatives took us to Imperial Treasure (2-star Michelin) in Shanghai a couple weeks back. First time I have eaten at a 2-star spot in jeans and a t-shirt for sure... That said, the food was excellent all around.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I need some advice...

I'm taking my sister to NYC for her (and my) birthday, I would like to take her to a Michelin starred restaurant but cannot decide which. She ruled out Jean-Georges and me Per Se, but I have been leaning towards Le Bernardin or Gramercy Tavern but can't decide. She's never been to any Michelin restaurants and don't know if we should dive right into 3* or do it more slowly?

She'll eat almost anything so cuisine isn't much of a factor. So I guess my question is, what would you do?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by United747
I need some advice...

I'm taking my sister to NYC for her (and my) birthday, I would like to take her to a Michelin starred restaurant but cannot decide which. She ruled out Jean-Georges and me Per Se, but I have been leaning towards Le Bernardin or Gramercy Tavern but can't decide. She's never been to any Michelin restaurants and don't know if we should dive right into 3* or do it more slowly?

She'll eat almost anything so cuisine isn't much of a factor. So I guess my question is, what would you do?
Both are excellent, but if you want something that feels like an NYC experience, do Gramercy Tavern. Been there multiple times and it never gets old.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
House of Tides looks good, I like British cousine.
Do you have a Twitter feed for all of your pics? Was looking at Andy Hayler's pics from the Typing Room last night. Seems like a good idea.

I could Tweet mine tonight but doubt anyone wants to see pics of Wahaca in White City..I'd lose my followers
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Do you have a Twitter feed for all of your pics? Was looking at Andy Hayler's pics from the Typing Room last night. Seems like a good idea.

I could Tweet mine tonight but doubt anyone wants to see pics of Wahaca in White City..I'd lose my followers
No Twitter feed.....
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Mirazur Menton **

Mirazur is actual number 4 at San Pellegrino list and best restaurant in France. Michelin is not that enthusiastic and “only” gives it 2 stars. Gault Millau is even more restrained, they give it 17,5 points.
The restaurant is located in Menton only a few metres from the Italian border. In fact we parked in Italy. From outside it´s rather spectacular, in fact you wouldn´t expect that in this building is a good restaurant.

From inside it´s a round room, some tables share a sea view (ours did not)

The menu offered 4 options, we opted for the lunch-menu.

They started with some nibbles

Creative and good.

We also got a whole bread with a bread-poem and home-flavoured olive oil.....

Now the first course: Crumbled crab and gamberoni from San Remo, Hibiscus-Turnip

Guess who ate 2...... It tasted well, but wasn´t an explosion. Would call it solid.

Next came “Green” – Peas from our garden, kiwi and fennel

A fresh dish which was very good.

The main: Saint Pierre from Mediterranean – green curry and celery from our garden

Without question faultless cooked and a good dish, but not a wow-one

As I had the mood for it today I ordered the cheese trolley.

I asked for a selection thru the trolley and got this:

Good cheese without many garnishes – puristic I would say, but not really in a negative way.

Time for desert: Naranjo en Flor – Sospel´s St Joseph saffron, almond foam and orange sorbet

Tasted good, but it will not make the way to my hall of fame of deserts.

Petit fours:

Good ones!

OK, now the verdict! Number 4 in the world and best in France?n Surely not! I can name many restaurants which are better. It again shows the value of Pellegrino list. Is 17,5 point fair? Perhaps, but I´m sceptical with Gault Millau. I think 2 stars at Guide Michelin are fair. It´s without doubt a really good restaurant, but not totally great. Considering the price tag it was a good experince and I would recommend it. But it´s not like I must return at all costs. Perhaps San Pellegrino can be a curse in some cases....
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Both are excellent, but if you want something that feels like an NYC experience, do Gramercy Tavern. Been there multiple times and it never gets old.
Thanks, I've only been to Gramercy Tavern for lunch and your comment made me take another look since I was siding towards Le Bern. But the beverage program at Gramercy Tavern looks pretty cool and that seems to have tipped the scales for me.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:29 pm

Thanks, I've only been to Gramercy Tavern for lunch and your comment made me take another look since I was siding towards Le Bern. But the beverage program at Gramercy Tavern looks pretty cool and that seems to have tipped the scales for me.
I was onboard for Eleven Madison Park for my first anniversary, but I'm not sure the renovations will be complete when we're in NY. Gramercy was another option for us or the non-Michellin sushi nakazawa.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I think it depends what type of experience you are looking for. Gramercy Tavern is always a good meal but not always a particularly memorable one. Le Bernardin is just as much as a NYC institution but a more splendid one. If you both like seafood I'd go for Le B.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I think it depends what type of experience you are looking for. Gramercy Tavern is always a good meal but not always a particularly memorable one. Le Bernardin is just as much as a NYC institution but a more splendid one. If you both like seafood I'd go for Le B.
Thanks, I was thinking about it more yesterday over lunch at Jean-Georges (great again).

I know that I'd like Le Bernardin more
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by uggboy
April 2016, Our lunch experiences

During my fiancé’s birthday travel in April 2016 we decided to have lunch at VAU. It has one Michelin star and is just off the Gendarmenmarkt, where the Franzoesiche Dom and Deutscher Dom are located, on Jaegerstrasse in the heart of Berlin, Germany.

It is in a quiet area and VAU has as a direct neighbor the Greek Embassy. The classic building has a vibrant color and a Mediterranean feel.

|| VAU || 1* MICHELIN STAR || 16 GAULT MILLAU POINTS || CHEF: KOLJA KLEEBERG || OUR MEMORABLE 3-COURSE LUNCH IN THE HEART OF BERLIN || GERMANY || HIGHLY RECOMMENDED || OUR DUB-AMS-[RTM]-AMS-HAM-[TXL]-DUB-TOUR-APRIL 2016 || by UggBoy UggGirl, on Flickr

The interior was designed by Meinhard von Gerkan. He was also responsible for Le Canard Nouveau in Hamburg, where we had lunch only a few days earlier. Please see our review.

There are some things both restaurants have in common: The chairs and the use of wood. Otherwise Le Canard Nouveau is understated and Japanese/Asian, while VAU is inspired by the sunnier climates of Southern Europe.

VAU is divided into two spaces. One at the back, which contains the most of the tables, and another, bright space where ca. 10 people can sit. The window is very large, and reminds us more of a show window of a shop which lets in lots of natural daylight.

Another reason was the personality of the chef Kolja Kleeberg. He is very creative - not only in the kitchen. He is a musician and actor as well.

The first thing, when entering, we encountered was the bar, which looked stylish and right out of the 1930s.

We were warmly welcomed and brought to our table near the window.

There was an elderly couple already enjoying their lunch. Later a group and a single business man arrived. The atmosphere was good and the staff made us immediately feel welcome and at home.

The table was covered with a white linen cloth and had a flower in a vase as decoration.

We were offered Seltzer water, which was included in the price of the lunch, and asked if we would like to have an aperitif. We checked if they had alcohol-free cocktails. The bartender came to us and asked if we wanted a classic or modern one. We decided for the latter. It was made with Matcha green tea, lime, grape juice and soda and was served in a Martini glass. We both loved it. The combination was just right, not too sweet and not too dry.

Next bread and salted butter were brought to our table which we enjoyed, a good start.

We chose from the lunch menu and decided on three courses. Our starters were roasted cod, onion tarte fine, rocket salad and anchovies and asparagus ceviche, elderberry, pomelo and watercress.

It was followed by crisp pike perch, spinach, brown butter, almonds and pink grapefruit and pink fried duck breast with wild broccoli and radicchio trevisano.

Desserts were Piedmont hazelnut cake with cream praline and sea buck thorn and Tarte Tartine with rum raisins and walnut.

My fiancé wanted to try the other non-alcoholic drink with orange juice and Sun-bitters. It came in a long ball glass and was decorated with skewered orange pieces. The "classic" was equally memorable as was the "modern" non-alcoholic cocktail we enjoyed earlier.

|| VAU || 1* MICHELIN STAR || 16 GAULT MILLAU POINTS || CHEF: KOLJA KLEEBERG || OUR MEMORABLE 3-COURSE LUNCH IN THE HEART OF BERLIN || GERMANY || HIGHLY RECOMMENDED || OUR DUB-AMS-[RTM]-AMS-HAM-[TXL]-DUB-TOUR-APRIL 2016 || by UggBoy UggGirl, on Flickr

With the choice of our coffee, Cappuccino, which was also included in the meal, we received Canele, the same pastry as we had at the FG Restaurant in Rotterdam, The Netherlands earlier during our travels. Please see also our review for more.

The menu was well prepared, the flavors balanced and fitting to the ambience of the restaurant.

The invoice came in at 115 Euro / ca. 130 USD.

The service was attentive, warm and very well aware of our allergies and dislikes.

The lunch was delicious, of high standards and beautifully presented, beside this we enjoyed the location and service, plus the overall setting of the Restaurant VAU.

When in Berlin, we would eat here lunch or dinner again in our future.

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to enjoy again lunch/dinner at this restaurant in the future? YES! ^

Here are some of our images we took during our lunch at VAU, Berlin, Germany in April 2016:

Thank you and safe travels.
UPDATE:

Sadly, Vau Restaurant in Berlin, Germany has now closed.

We enjoyed our memorable lunch at this beautiful restaurant in April 2016.

We wish Kolja Kleeberg well and have learned that he's looking for a new address in Berlin.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
This is fair, but I think the atmosphere does contribute something. GT is prototypically NYC, whereas Le Bernardin is a bit sterile and generically cosmopolitan in atmosphere.

That said, there is no denying that some of the best seafood you will ever eat is at Le Bernardin. I think the deciding factor should really be how much you are in touch with your pescatarian side.

Lastly - the aged / cellared beer selection at GT is phenomenal. I never fail to get an aged beer (last one was ~20 years old!), and they are excellent. No other restaurant I have been to in the world (3-star Michelin or otherwise) has as thoughtful a selection of aged brews.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
This is fair, but I think the atmosphere does contribute something. GT is prototypically NYC, whereas Le Bernardin is a bit sterile and generically cosmopolitan in atmosphere.

That said, there is no denying that some of the best seafood you will ever eat is at Le Bernardin. I think the deciding factor should really be how much you are in touch with your pescatarian side.

Lastly - the aged / cellared beer selection at GT is phenomenal. I never fail to get an aged beer (last one was ~20 years old!), and they are excellent. No other restaurant I have been to in the world (3-star Michelin or otherwise) has as thoughtful a selection of aged brews.
I should really just ask her what she'd prefer. After all, it's her birthday trip.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by uggboy
UPDATE:

Sadly, Vau Restaurant in Berlin, Germany has now closed.

We enjoyed our memorable lunch at this beautiful restaurant in April 2016.

We wish Kolja Kleeberg well and have learned that he's looking for a new address in Berlin.

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
The operating dompany of the restaurant declared insolvency nearly one year ago
https://www.insolvenzbekanntmachunge...oeffnungen.htm

Over the last years with excemption of your appreciated report I didn´t hear much good things about the restaurant. Some German "Television-chefs" have problems.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
In the news...from Chicago...

Two Michelin-Starred 42 Grams Closes After 3 1⁄2 Years

Stunning news broke over the weekend as 42 Grams, one of Chicago’s 26 Michelin-starred restaurants, announced its immediate closure. This ends a three-and-a-half-year run in Uptown for chef Jake Bickelhaupt and his ex-wife, GM Alexa Welsh. They made the announcement on Twitter but have since deleted the restaurant’s account.
42 Grams debuted with two Michelin stars after being open for only 10 months, and Michelin inspectors have awarded the restaurant the same rating for all three years 42 Grams has appeared on the guide. It’s somewhat of a rarity for a BYO and tasting-menu restaurant earns such acclaim so quickly.

and...

UPDATE: Welsh posted a note on the restaurant’s website confirming the shutter. Refunds for those holding reservations will be issued. While Welsh didn’t share the exact reasons behind the closure, she did write that it wasn’t because of financial reasons.
Please see:

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/6/5/1...byo-restaurant

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.