Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks uggboy. I often thought about this restaurant and always decided against it. The menu is very special with many things on it which are not my favourites. Since I don´t eat meat any more it seems to be even more difficult. This restaurant seems to be one of the more controversial. It is named as a three star candidate by many people but provoces also constant critical voices.
Thanks offerendum for your compliments, indeed the menu of the Steirereck im Stadtpark is special and our lunch was tasty and memorable, plus the setting was extremely modern and the service received was overall "spot on". Meat and fish play a big role of course, it's Austria nevertheless and one of us had the snails which had been tasty/pretty good, plus the sturgeon which was different/beautiful too.

For vegetarians or simply something different without meat we would recommend Tian in Vienna, while we haven't had lunch/dinner there, because on our dates in July 2016 they had been fully booked, but there remains the interest and the wish in both of us to eat there eventually in our future. Equally when you've the chance in the future to try it, book it and please report here in this thread about your experiences.

Please see:

http://www.tian-restaurant.com/wien/en/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by uggboy
For vegetarians or simply something different without meat we would recommend Tian in Vienna,
Tian is definitively on the list
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:33 am

July 2016, our landmark birthday lunch experiences

To make my landmark birthday in July 2016 even more special, my fiancé and I booked a table for two at the two Michelin stared restaurant the Steirereck im Stadtpark in Vienna, Austria which we knew for about ten to fifteen years and wanted always to try. The restaurant is also ranked 9th on the 50 best Restaurants in the World list.
Steirereck has been on my bucket list for a while. One of these days!

Looks my schedule is firming up for the rest of the spring and I'll be at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester ***, Ente in Wiesbaden **, Imago in Rome *, The Ritz in London, and possibly La Pergola in Rome and La Sponda in Positano, just waiting on confirmations.

Will report back any outstanding experiences
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Steirereck has been on my bucket list for a while. One of these days!

Looks my schedule is firming up for the rest of the spring and I'll be at Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester ***, Ente in Wiesbaden **, Imago in Rome *, The Ritz in London, and possibly La Pergola in Rome and La Sponda in Positano, just waiting on confirmations.

That is an impressive lineup. I am kicking myself for not following through with my La Pergola reservation even though we were staying at Rome Cavalieri.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Not only reports about outstanding experiences are helpful Nevertheless the lineup should bring you some nice meals
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by sig05
That is an impressive lineup. I am kicking myself for not following through with my La Pergola reservation even though we were staying at Rome Cavalieri.
La Pergola is great. I ate there a couple of years ago and also at Apsley's (another Heinz Beck restaurant) in London before it closed. His signature dish, Fagottelli Carbonara, is really transcendent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/dr...carbonara.html

Of the other restaurants, we'll see how it goes. I'm leaning on postponing the trip to Positano (dinner at La Sponda) until I have more time.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Not only reports about outstanding experiences are helpful Nevertheless the lineup should bring you some nice meals
It's not very often that I have a disappointing meal in a Michelin rated restaurant but it does happen. Only really five in the last couple of years that come to mind - Il Pagliaccio (Rome), Dabbous (London), Maze (London), Seven Park Place (London), and L'Etranger (London). I guess that last one has dropped off the Michelin radar, so maybe it doesn't count. Okay, Clove Club (London) I was disappointed with, but only because of the casual, hipster service. The food was fine.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 30, 2017 at 4:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not very often that I have a disappointing meal in a Michelin rated restaurant but it does happen.
Same with me. Normally it doesn´t mislead
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:59 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
It's not very often that I have a disappointing meal in a Michelin rated restaurant but it does happen.
La Pergola in Rome was one of those times for me. As was my first visit to Ledbury. I guess anyone can have a bad night.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:49 am

Meierei im Stadtpark, Vienna, Austria [REVIEW]

July 2016, our lunch experiences

The day after visiting for lunch the Steirereck im Stadtpark [2 Michelin stars] in July 2016 we went to have lunch on the next day at their sister restaurant the Meierei im Stadtpark. The restaurant is the winner of a Bib Gourmand by Michelin.

We had already cake and fresh strawberries enjoyed there when we visited Vienna for our first time a few years ago.

The Meierei im Stadtpark has kept the classic villa exterior. The interior is modern and the colors are neutral, mostly white.

We liked that the whole front was made of glass and could be opened completely. It overlooked the canal and the park.

The Meierei is a place to see and be seen, so if you are looking for a more private venue, this isn’t the right one.

We had booked a table and were glad. The restaurant was already humming. The Meierei does accept walk ins, but it is very favored, so in order to avoid disappointment it’s better to reserve.

The staff was businesslike, friendly and efficient.

We had two Donnerwetter Apple and pear juices, one apricot juice, cucumber elderflower cocktail, one large bottle of still Voeslauer water, a mozzarella tomato salad, watercress soup, stuffed courgette flowers, venison goulash, and shared a portion of the banana snow as dessert.

The quality was very high and we enjoyed the time we spent there in July 2016.

The bill was ca. 100 Euro (ca. 106.60 USD).

We would return again when in Vienna, as this gave us the chance to enjoy typical Austrian produce in a modern bistro setting overlooking the Stadtpark by the canal.

Of note, the Meierei im Stadtpark does also serve breakfast and wouldn’t say no to try this one in our future when visiting Vienna hopefully again.

Please see our uploads/memories on Flickr:

Would we recommend this restaurant to a friend? YES! ^
Would we want to have lunch/dinner again in our future at this restaurant? YES! ^

Thank you and safe travels.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:13 pm

Recent experience at Joel Robuchon in Las Vegas would indicate that this may be at best a 2 star. Among other reasons the wine was opened out of your sight, they said it was opened in an other room, never decanted, did not produce the cork, and when asked why not they got "huffy."
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:43 pm

Interesting review published by the Guardian in the UK:

Le Cinq, Paris: restaurant review

Le Cinq, Four Seasons Hôtel George V, 31 avenue George V, 75008 Paris (00 331 49 52 71 54). Meal for two, including service and modest wine: €600 (Ł520)

There is only one thing worse than being served a terrible meal: being served a terrible meal by earnest waiters who have no idea just how awful the things they are doing to you are. And so, to the flagship Michelin three-star restaurant of the George V Hotel in Paris, or the scene of the crime as I now like to call it. In terms of value for money and expectation Le Cinq supplied by far the worst restaurant experience I have endured in my 18 years in this job. This, it must be said, is an achievement of sorts.
Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...iew-jay-rayner

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:25 am

Interesting review published by the Guardian in the UK:

Le Cinq, Paris: restaurant review

Please see:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...iew-jay-rayner

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
To me it reads like an overly snarky diatribe some wannabe critic would leave on TA. Hard to believe that would appear in a respectable publication.

Here is a real review of the same restaurant that touches on the important things like the sourcing of the ingredients, the inventiveness of the chef, the flavor combinations, the technique, the plating, etc.

https://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant/cinq
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me it reads like an overly snarky diatribe some wannabe critic would leave on TA. Hard to believe that would appear in a respectable publication.

Here is a real review of the same restaurant that touches on the important things like the sourcing of the ingredients, the inventiveness of the chef, the flavor combinations, the technique, the plating, etc.

https://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant/cinq
At least this review is strange.....
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:31 am

This story made me wonder if New York is over-saturated. I've been wondering that about London for awhile. When you can get a same day table on Friday evening at Michelin restaurants all over town, something is going on.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/08/new-yor...-disappearing/
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This story made me wonder if New York is over-saturated. I've been wondering that about London for awhile. When you can get a same day table on Friday evening at Michelin restaurants all over town, something is going on.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/08/new-yor...-disappearing/
Often I don´t see a reason to pay for a "normal" 1 star Restaurant in NYC prices which (nearly or already) brings me a 2 or 3 star. Something different with "special" 1 stars like "Gastropubs" (Spotted Pig), Korean (Danji) or Peruvian (La Costanera) cuisine (all which comes to my mind in the U.S. lost their stars...). May be unfair some time but it´s life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.