Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why top restaurant menus all look the same

Why top restaurant menus all look the same

Old Jul 19, 2023, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Nope. The local TJ's doesn't carry them - I was just there today. Apparently they think there is no demand for them in this area.
How odd. I too made a note to check today & they had....shelf stable in the little bags clipped to the hanger. Jarred julienne cut packed in oil. I didn't notice the halves packed in oil this time. I would ask the store manager what's up. They take customer feedback seriously.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
WHich restaurant is this?
Originally Posted by TWA884
Proxi?
Inovasi, in Lake Bluff, IL.
https://inovasi.us/
They don't put a price for it on their website, which is why I can't remember, but it's under $100 for sure. It may go over $100 with the wine pairing.

We've taken my in-laws, who are in their late 70's and like nice restaurants, but have the typical generational aversion to "weird" ingredients, to places like Girl and the Goat, and there were only limited menu items they'd try. So it's not worth the money. We're taking them to Inovasi for a birthday next month, because they'll get a similar experience, but will enjoy whatever course is served, and we won't worry about wasting money!
Old Jul 21, 2023, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by JBord
Inovasi, in Lake Bluff, IL.
https://inovasi.us/
They don't put a price for it on their website, which is why I can't remember, but it's under $100 for sure. It may go over $100 with the wine pairing.

We've taken my in-laws, who are in their late 70's and like nice restaurants, but have the typical generational aversion to "weird" ingredients, to places like Girl and the Goat, and there were only limited menu items they'd try. So it's not worth the money. We're taking them to Inovasi for a birthday next month, because they'll get a similar experience, but will enjoy whatever course is served, and we won't worry about wasting money!
Thanks, unfortunately, Lake Bluff is just too far of a schlep from West Loop to go for dinner when I'm in Chicago.

I'm probably closer in age to your in-laws than to you; however, I love G&TG, both in West Loop and the Arts District in Los Angeles; the Chicago location is walking distance from my daughter's place.

Other favorite Chicago restaurants, in no particular order, are Monteverde, Kasama, Sepia, Gaijin, Alla Vita, Purple Pig, Parachute, Elske, Lula Cafe and Galit. To the best of my recollection, Sepia and Kasama are the only two of those that exclusively serve tasting menus, at least at dinner time. We've had great tasting menus at Smith and Oriole, however, those are considerably more expensive than the rest. Alinea was a disappointment and, in my opinion, is way overrated.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:45 am

Thanks, unfortunately, Lake Bluff is just too far of a schlep from West Loop to go for dinner when I'm in Chicago.

I'm probably closer in age to your in-laws than to you; however, I love G&TG, both in West Loop and the Arts District in Los Angeles; the Chicago location is walking distance from my daughter's place.

Other favorite Chicago restaurants, in no particular order, are Monteverde, Kasama, Sepia, Gaijin, Alla Vita, Purple Pig, Parachute, Elske, Lula Cafe and Galit. To the best of my recollection, Sepia and Kasama are the only two of those that exclusively serve tasting menus, at least at dinner time. We've had great tasting menus at Smith and Oriole, however, those are considerably more expensive than the rest. Alinea was a disappointment and, in my opinion, is way overrated.
I've been to about half of those, and agree no way I'd have driven to Lake Bluff when I lived in the city! Even if it were awesome, there are many more options in the West Loop. Galit opened just before we moved out to the burbs. Couldn't ever get a reservation, and then we moved. Have to remember it's there next time I'm in the area. The place that might be worth a drive though is George Trois, in Winnetka. It's a small dining room off to the side of Aboyer, same chef and owner. I can't remember, but maybe fewer than 10 tables? Very intimate and personal experience, but it's a special occasion place, where you make an evening of it.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to about half of those...
I just realized that I left out Avec and Avec Bar, and the Loyalist out of my list of favorites. I should be in Chicago towards the end of August, in addition to going back to one or more of those that I had listed, I'll probably try a few new places; Joe Flamm's Rose Marie is on my radar.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:36 am

Joe Flamm's Rose Marie is on my radar.
Mine too! We had such wonderful food in Croatia a few years ago that I was excited to see this open. The menu leans more toward Italian, but there are enough Croatian-style dishes on here (especially the octopus) to make it really interesting.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 8:07 am

The menu leans more toward Italian...
Well, he was the executive chef at Spiaggia before it closed and he went on his own.

I just realized that I misspelled the name of the restaurant, it's Rose Mary.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by corky
How odd. I too made a note to check today & they had....shelf stable in the little bags clipped to the hanger. Jarred julienne cut packed in oil. I didn't notice the halves packed in oil this time. I would ask the store manager what's up. They take customer feedback seriously.
We're at opposite ends of the country. What sells in SoCal isn't necessarily the same as what sells in PA.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
We're at opposite ends of the country. What sells in SoCal isn't necessarily the same as what sells in PA.
I don't think of sun dried tomatoes as exotic so I would still ask the manager. TJ carries many specialty items. No large grocery stores carry them either?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 12:19 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Interesting thread........I just spent 4 days in a resort town and every restaurant had 4-5 identical menu items without fail.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by KDS777
Interesting thread........I just spent 4 days in a resort town and every restaurant had 4-5 identical menu items without fail.
I don't know where you were, but let me guess...one of those items was a "flatbread"? I'm not sure if that's the most inoffensive food these tourist towns can come up with (besides the obligatory burger), but they must think so. At this point, if I see a flatbread section on a menu I instinctively pass right over it.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I don't know where you were, but let me guess...one of those items was a "flatbread"? I'm not sure if that's the most inoffensive food these tourist towns can come up with (besides the obligatory burger), but they must think so. At this point, if I see a flatbread section on a menu I instinctively pass right over it.
How about a flatbread burger?

David
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by DELee
How about a flatbread burger?

David
LOL...I'm sure we've all seen a "cheeseburger flatbread" on a menu somewhere!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by corky
I don't think of sun dried tomatoes as exotic so I would still ask the manager. TJ carries many specialty items. No large grocery stores carry them either?
So I asked the manager at a local upscale market about sun-dried tomatoes.

"We haven't carried those since the '90's"

We had a good laugh over that.
corky likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
LOL...I'm sure we've all seen a "cheeseburger flatbread" on a menu somewhere!
I shoulda made one or more at the reception:

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.