Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Yes! You totally just reminded me that I always leave the tomatoes off for that reason. The fact that I forgot about that makes me a little nervous about having to re-learn all my business travel routines again soon!
Have you tried putting tomatoes between not wet ingredients? Like...bread, condiment of choice, lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickles, meat, other condiment and then top slice of bread. so the wet things like tomatoes and pickles aren't next to the bread.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
Have you tried putting tomatoes between not wet ingredients? Like...bread, condiment of choice, lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickles, meat, other condiment and then top slice of bread. so the wet things like tomatoes and pickles aren't next to the bread.
The wet ingredients always work their way around the other ingredients. I'm always having to pick out the wrapping paper as they always get soaked in any liquid.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
When I was flying during the heart of lock-down covid and there was no food onboard and nothing open at the airports, my go-to plane food was pasta salad. I made it with rotini, casarecce, or strozzapreti pasta, cheese-filled spinach tortellini, orange or yellow pepper, cubes of fontina cheese and an oil/vinegar/italian herb dressing. It tasted great at room temp and nothing to go bad when unrefrigerated for a few hours. It was so good that I had several FAs ask me how I made it.
corky and jjbiv like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
We'll often pop open a tin for a pre-dinner snack, but sardines only smell good if you're the one eating them!
As someone who had to dish up the cat's sardines every night for 2 years, I heartily agree with that sentiment.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
When I was flying during the heart of lock-down covid and there was no food onboard and nothing open at the airports, my go-to plane food was pasta salad. I made it with rotini, casarecce, or strozzapreti pasta, cheese-filled spinach tortellini, orange or yellow pepper, cubes of fontina cheese and an oil/vinegar/italian herb dressing. It tasted great at room temp and nothing to go bad when unrefrigerated for a few hours. It was so good that I had several FAs ask me how I made it.
Wouldn't you have issues getting it through security due to the sauce? Or am I just reading too much FT vs. TSA?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Wouldn't you have issues getting it through security due to the sauce? Or am I just reading too much FT vs. TSA?
I am sure she dressed the salad before she packed it up so there would not be a separate container of liquid dressing.
Finkface likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I am sure she dressed the salad before she packed it up so there would not be a separate container of liquid dressing.
As Corky said, i dressed it when I made it. It doesn't go soggy like a green salad as it is just pasta and orange pepper. It isn't swimming in oil, just dressed to coat. Think of a pasta salad you would get at a deli counter.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
As Corky said, i dressed it when I made it. It doesn't go soggy like a green salad as it is just pasta and orange pepper. It isn't swimming in oil, just dressed to coat. Think of a pasta salad you would get at a deli counter.
That would do it. I just see horror stories in some of the other forums of TSA being annoying by telling people this meal can't go through even though it is just a little liquid in the corner of the container.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Unfortunately the airport sub shops don't usually give me that option . But that is how I'd do it at home. In fact, I put the condiments in the middle too. When I'm feeling really reckless, I'll put a slice of cheese on each piece of bread - double the cheesy calories but it's a great sealant. I'm never going to bring a sandwich from home on a plane though, or really anything that doesn't come pre-packaged.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JBord
Unfortunately the airport sub shops don't usually give me that option . But that is how I'd do it at home. In fact, I put the condiments in the middle too. When I'm feeling really reckless, I'll put a slice of cheese on each piece of bread - double the cheesy calories but it's a great sealant. I'm never going to bring a sandwich from home on a plane though, or really anything that doesn't come pre-packaged.
A sandwich from home is the best sandwich you can have. (Ok, I'll qualify that - a sandwich that I would make for myself from my home ...)

1) Use sturdy roll, such as a crusty sourdough.
2) Keep the liquidy stuff to minimums, but don't be afraid of them.
3) Consider a less fragile green, such as arugula.
4) If the center of the tomatoes are really wet, take some of that out. Or use some dried ones.
5) Wrap in a paper towel lined piece of foil.
corky and rsqrott like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well,since you asked, here's what I brung this week:

Blueberries out of LAX since it seems that UA's catering has been fighting its own shortage recently.

In the past, I've been known to bring tortillas which are handy to contain/constrain scrambled egg ball bearing-type spheres. Still pack a stash of nuts, jerky and a spare stroopwafel as well as the odd non-banana piece of fruit.

For my return flight from IAD, I'd brung what ended up being three separate cuisines on board as my planned dinner in E+: Vietnamese (bahn mi), Italian (sausage roll) and Afghani (beef kafta wrap).

That being said, I ended up getting upgraded, refused/decline the J dinner offerings, had a burger+Pringles as well as some of what I brung to the flight as well (2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service).

David
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DELee
Well,since you asked, here's what I brung this week:

David
Blueberries from Peru via Salinas (and probably stopped in LAX on the import trail) back to an LA area grocer for you to take back to LAX for your travels! Farm Fresh!
DELee likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Heading back to Scotland from France, it will always be 1/2 baguette filled with ducks hearts
Old Apr 12, 2022, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Exec
We need someone to start selling Bento boxes in airports - like the ones on Japanese Rail stations. Delicious.
Kgmm77 and JBord like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
The last time I flew I did something I thought was pretty clever. I had gotten chicken gyro sandwiches the day before (on BOGO from Uber Eats). I chopped up a romaine heart and put it in a quart-size soup container, then poured out the contents of the gyro sandwich (chicken, diced tomatoes, some more lettuce) over the lettuce. I kept the white sauce in its little container to pour over when it was time to eat. Worked out really nicely and did not make a mess at all. I think that will be my new go-to when traveling.

-J.
michael1023 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.