Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

What food do you bring on the plane (or to the airport)?

Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
On the plane? Sardines, liverwurst, limburger, hard boiled eggs.
Lol, you're forgetting durian and tuna.
corky, jjbiv, whitewave and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Lol, you're forgetting durian and tuna.
And beans, to get the whole mess percolating.
corky and jjbiv like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I've grabbed a sub/wrap/burger more times than I can count but, the burgers and wraps often end up cold and hard by the time I try to eat it. Subs generally end up soggy (I've been asking for no sauce and it still happens)
Burgers only work if you're buying them right before you board and then eating after takeoff. I meant the cold wraps, so similar to a sub. Curiously, I haven't had the same issue with subs as long as I'm not getting vinegar and oil on them. BUT - I'm usually buying them right before boarding and eating within an hour or two so that may be why it works. I'm never going to bring any type of perishable on a flight over a few hours - not because of safety reasons but because of the cold, soggy mess you've described!
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Burgers only work if you're buying them right before you board and then eating after takeoff. I meant the cold wraps, so similar to a sub. Curiously, I haven't had the same issue with subs as long as I'm not getting vinegar and oil on them. BUT - I'm usually buying them right before boarding and eating within an hour or two so that may be why it works. I'm never going to bring any type of perishable on a flight over a few hours - not because of safety reasons but because of the cold, soggy mess you've described!
For subs, they work a little better if you don't add the sauce (some places are willing to put it on the side in a small container) but it doesn't always help... not ordering "wet" veggies helps as well but limits your selection (tomatoes and guac are the worst for this).

I can't test it now, but someone (elsewhere) suggested changing the container (eg, from a "wrap" to a real container") sometimes helps. Might be a consideration the next time I fly...
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
At Sfo, I love the chicken bahn mi from Bun Mee. It’s not soggy. I’ve even eaten it after the flight. Still great.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
My worst seatmate ever had a bag full of sardine (or some other smelly fish) sandwiches. Even without the sandwiches he still would have been the worst seatmate ever -- he was obnoxious for a thousand other reasons -- so when he pulled out the second or third one I had no problem telling him that if he ate it there was a good chance I might vomit on him.
braslvr, corky and Stars4SA like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
My worst seatmate ever had a bag full of sardine (or some other smelly fish) sandwiches. Even without the sandwiches he still would have been the worst seatmate ever -- he was obnoxious for a thousand other reasons -- so when he pulled out the second or third one I had no problem telling him that if he ate it there was a good chance I might vomit on him.
Ewwww
OT but my last full time job I had a boss who would buy a case of sardines whenever they went on sale at Costco and would just eat them out of the tin (like a snack). His office was directly across the hall from mine and I would gag. Then he would either put the tin in his office wastebasket so I could smell it all day or the lunch room trash can so everyone's lunch was ruined by smelling his sardine snacks. Like your seatmate, that was only one of the many things I hated about him.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Usually just snacks. I’m partial to pretzels, almonds, Snickers, M&Ms, or granola bars for early flights.

Occasionally a sandwich for a longer flight, just basic cold cuts. Nothing too sloppy or smelly.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Ewwww
OT but my last full time job I had a boss who would buy a case of sardines whenever they went on sale at Costco and would just eat them out of the tin (like a snack). His office was directly across the hall from mine and I would gag. Then he would either put the tin in his office wastebasket so I could smell it all day or the lunch room trash can so everyone's lunch was ruined by smelling his sardine snacks. Like your seatmate, that was only one of the many things I hated about him.
We'll often pop open a tin for a pre-dinner snack, but sardines only smell good if you're the one eating them!
JBord likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Ewwww
When I get them from a tin, I usually rinse the tin out with hot water before tossing into the recycling bin. It usually kills the oil/smell. Bringing it back on topic, I don't think you could rinse the tin out properly on a plane, but I wouldn't bring tins of the stuff either just because one bit of turbulance and it's going to smell for the rest of the flight, the trip to the hotel/client and long after that.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere

Occasionally a sandwich for a longer flight, just basic cold cuts. Nothing too sloppy or smelly.
That's pretty much what I'll bring - a sandwich on a roll that will hold up for a while, with nothing from the "you shouldn't leave this out in the sun at a picnic" department.
LAX2Anywhere likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Does bringing food, from the airline lounge, on board count?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Sweet memories of the routine my husband always buying 4 packs of M&Ms prior to boarding. Did not matter class of service or distance. He preferred plain to peanut. I stashed them In my tote.
cblaisd and FlyerEC like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Does bringing food, from the airline lounge, on board count?
I don't see why not.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
For subs, they work a little better if you don't add the sauce (some places are willing to put it on the side in a small container) but it doesn't always help... not ordering "wet" veggies helps as well but limits your selection (tomatoes and guac are the worst for this).
Yes! You totally just reminded me that I always leave the tomatoes off for that reason. The fact that I forgot about that makes me a little nervous about having to re-learn all my business travel routines again soon!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.