Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What exactly is veal? Is it baby beef, baby lamb. I'm just not sure

What exactly is veal? Is it baby beef, baby lamb. I'm just not sure

Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wigstheone:
No baby carrots? No baby bok choy? Say it ain't so.</font>
I like to think of those as mini carrots.
Bok Choy...yuck!!

Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by arturo:
no baby bac ribs?

</font>
Nope, but then again I do not like ribs.

Old Apr 3, 2003, 7:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pointsgirl:
Bok Choy...yuck!!</font>
They are terrific grilled
Old Apr 3, 2003, 9:15 am

Veal is a calf that is kept in a confined area and fed a liquid feed that resembles a thin gruel. This feed keeps the rumen from developing as it would normally if the animal was allowed a normal diet of ruffage.
A combination of confined area and liquid feed produces a light pink meat that is tender.
I raise cattle I do not eat veal.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rkt10:
I've long ago come to terms with eating veal. In fact, some time ago I looked deep into the eyes of some cows and...well... there ain't much going on in there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dolcevita:
The same can be said for about 80% of the human population; doesn't make eating babies who've been caged any more acceptable.</font>
Nooo, I don't think you can say that. Go take a long look at a cow's eyes and you'll feel much better about the human race!
Rita
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lotsa things I eat used to be cute.

Pass me the Veal Picata, please.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
South Park S06E04 has a good answer: https://www.hulu.com/watch/250071
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I pass many a baby cow (and lots of adults) on my way to/from work. All I can think about is how good those babies would be with a nice lemon butter sauce... And how good those adults would be medium rare.

Maybe I'm a monster. But we didn't get to the top of the food chain by not eating cute things!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Veal is baby cow. It's not the fact that it's from a baby that makes it reprehensible, but the way they're treated while they're alive.

I'm a serious carnivore, but I don't see a need to torture our food before we eat it.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:29 am

It's picatta and it's mmmmm mmmmm good!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by james318
Maybe I'm a monster. But we didn't get to the top of the food chain by not eating cute things!
There was an advertisement on the tube last week (IIRC at Westminster station) promoting to go vegan. It depicted a cow being pet by a woman with "Why would you eat them? They trust us!" slogan in huge font just above it. "Well they are tasty!" was my first reaction.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by msp3
South Park S06E04 has a good answer: https://www.hulu.com/watch/250071
You bumped a 14 y/o thread for that?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by thelark
You bumped a 14 y/o thread for that?
Maybe he's a time traveler with a severe case of jet lag. I googled and Season 6 was aired in 2002!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Maybe he's a time traveler with a severe case of jet lag. I googled and Season 6 was aired in 2002!
In my defense, I did just watch Season 6, 15 years after it aired...
Old Dec 1, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On this topic tho, there are vastly differing views on 'veal' that don't necessarily make much sense on the surface. In some places, veal refers to almost exclusively 'milk veal' which are calves raised in dark crates on low iron liquid diets (to make them anemic) so the meat is pale pink and tender. In other places, veal is what is known as 'grain veal' which basically means the young cow eats the same as any other cow does, and not kept in dark crates. In other places, the veal lives outdoors in fields and eats a mixed diet of grains, grass and milk. I have fewer relative issues with the last type (I am vegetarian, but to me a 6 month old cow is not all that different from a 2 year old cow), and major issues with the first. The middle category depends on general welfare issues - some grain veal is crated, albeit with light, others are not, depends on the farmer and /or the geography.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.