Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cast iron and carbon steel cookware

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by corky
the black textured is enamel.
Aha! Well that explains why it’s so easy to clean, lol!
corky likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Buster
It's not. I just like the weight and size of the dutch oven for chili, so although I know I shouldn't cook it in there, I still do. It's well seasoned, I don't do it often, and I'm quick about cleaning it out promptly.
Your Staub is for sure enamel lined!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corky
Is your Staub lined with enamel? I think the other difference between Lodge cast iron and Le Creuset is that it isn't recommended to subject the enamel coating to super high heat while cast iron is able to handle screaming hot temps. So depending on your cooking habits, it might be a good idea to have both cast iron and something like Staub or Le Creuset.
My enameled Staub Dutch oven is my kitchen MVP for foods like soups and stews. But for searing, I use Lodge cast iron.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made burgers in a Lodge cast iron pan last night!
corky, rufflesinc and navi_jen like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Now I'm thinking I need a cast iron skillet I have Le Crueset dutch oven which I love for soups & chili.

@corky. Thanks for the info re: honing vs. sharpening. That explains why when I tried using that my knives never sharpened! When I lived in Manhattan Beach, there was a guy at the MB farmers market who would sharpen knives so I took mine to him.

Where I live now a cookware store (that recently went out of bizness, alas) sold high end knives & a couple times a year, they'd have a professional from the knife company come in who would sharpen knives (didn't have to be that brand). There was a fee per knife & the store donated the sharpening proceeds to charity.

Where I live now there's also a guy who sharpens knives at the farmers market, but we're in winter & FM won't reopen again until the spring.

Cheers.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Now I'm thinking I need a cast iron skillet I have Le Crueset dutch oven which I love for soups & chili.

@corky. Thanks for the info re: honing vs. sharpening. That explains why when I tried using that my knives never sharpened! When I lived in Manhattan Beach, there was a guy at the MB farmers market who would sharpen knives so I took mine to him.

Where I live now a cookware store (that recently went out of bizness, alas) sold high end knives & a couple times a year, they'd have a professional from the knife company come in who would sharpen knives (didn't have to be that brand). There was a fee per knife & the store donated the sharpening proceeds to charity.

Where I live now there's also a guy who sharpens knives at the farmers market, but we're in winter & FM won't reopen again until the spring.

Cheers.
Is there a butcher shop in town? I know that you don't have a lot of options where you live but if there is one, I would check with them. Good luck! Spring is only 3-4 months away.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an electric knife sharpener that works well on the Henckels knife set I got from my parents years ago. I use it maybe once a year to do a full sharpening (with all three of its sharpening/honing wheels) and maybe 3x/year with just the honing wheel.

Sharon - Lodge cast iron will last forever if properly maintained. It requires more work than Le Creuset because it doesn't have the enamel to protect it. Read the two articles I linked in my first post in this thread on how to properly season a pan and how to care for it.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Picked up a Smithey carbon steel skillet today. Can’t wait to give it a run! Still haven’t figured out which cast iron I’m going with, but might wait a few weeks to see if I can buy a piece from Blu Skillet Ironware.
Calcifer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
'World's largest' cast-iron skillet travels down Tennessee highway
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Random but our favorite middle of nowhere steak house uses cast iron to cook locally raised and aged steaks in....same pans they've been using for last last 50+ years. Flavor is unmatched in even the highest end steak houses I've been to.
Boggie Dog likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
buried the lede
South Pittsburg's Lodge Cast Iron store, the future home of the Lodge Cast Iron Museum, had the gargantuan skillet, which measures about 18 feet from handle to handle, created to serve as a draw for the attraction.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
buried the lede

South Pittsburg's Lodge Cast Iron store, the future home of the Lodge Cast Iron Museum, had the gargantuan skillet, which measures about 18 feet from handle to handle, created to serve as a draw for the attraction.
Now you're cookin'!

David
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
As this thread seems better suited to Dining Buzz, please continue to follow it there. Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Broke it in today. Came pre-seasoned, but I put another layer on it first. Bone-in kurobata pork and roasted potatoes. After browning pulled the pork off and deglazed with Cabernet, then added sliced shallots and a bit of chicken broth. Cooked that down then added the potatoes (that had already started cooking) and pork back, putting it into the oven. Finished with herbes de Provence. Came out great!

Cleanup was a breeze and I put another layer of seasoning on it so it’ll be ready next time.

Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread gave me the shove I (hope I) needed.
Just bought myself a Lodge 5 quart Double Dutch Oven.
Calcifer and ShopAround like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.