Today .... I (we) have been eating .... 2022 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today .... I (we) have been eating .... 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Dinner last night
Pork Loin Roast - it was juicy and melted in the mouth like butter!
Egg noodles with broccolinis, chives and crispy garlic
Avocado salad with homemade vinaigrette

Old May 3, 2022, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM

A slice of leftover Detroit style pizza and salad for lunch.
corky and bensyd like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Pyeongchang, Oakland ca

shared:
beef bi bim bap
Soft tofu soup
bancha

Old May 3, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Oof, I forgot I bought these. Just ate five and put the can in the freezer.

Old May 3, 2022, 6:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Visconti
I like using the fake crab to mix it in with a couple of eggs when making instant noodles.
🤔 Tried canned crab ? - flash fresh frozen at sea ..
Visconti likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
LOL…never occurred to me! I should look for this, and had no idea they had crab in a can.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:09 pm

LOL…never occurred to me! I should look for this, and had no idea they had crab in a can.
Tried it. It's ok as well. Texture is good, but it really depends on what you're using the stuff for. Not always at a good price (but not too bad if you factor in the amount of effort to "de-meat" them.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Tried it. It's ok as well. Texture is good, but it really depends on what you're using the stuff for. Not always at a good price (but not too bad if you factor in the amount of effort to "de-meat" them.
Well , saves one from peeling / shelling crab ourselves at home ( especially if one does not happen to have a chef / cook ) going through whole shebang - for sure .
Usually pricey but the effort & time saved , well worth it .
If not in a can , possibly in bottles depending on where one lives or does grocery shopping , enjoy .

Would work for the omelette , fried rice , toppings & such , and / or even soufflé , speaking as a non chef !
Visconti likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:23 am

Well , saves one from peeling / shelling crab ourselves at home ( especially if one does not happen to have a chef / cook ) going through whole shebang - for sure .
If not in a can , possibly in bottles depending on where one lives or does grocery shopping , enjoy .

Would work for the omelette , fried rice , toppings & such , and / or even soufflé , speaking as a non chef !
I know a few people who spend whole afternoons digging out the meat from a few crabs.

But it all depends on the usage as well. If I see a great price, I'll pick some up. But often it's the surimi that comes in quite cheap and relatively easy to store. So kept handy for stuff like fried rice or omlettes. But if I want to make something nice (eg, a nice soup/stew), then yeah, I'll use the real stuff.
Old May 4, 2022, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold

At least in the US there are two "canned" varieties -- shelf-stable stuff in a tin can, and refrigerated crab in a can or plastic tub. The refrigerated stuff is great. I haven't cooked with the shelf-stable stuff before, but would probably only use it for dishes where crab isn't the centerpiece. I'm sure it would work fine, for example, in homemade crab rangoon.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
At least in the US there are two "canned" varieties -- shelf-stable stuff in a tin can, and refrigerated crab in a can or plastic tub. The refrigerated stuff is great. I haven't cooked with the shelf-stable stuff before, but would probably only use it for dishes where crab isn't the centerpiece. I'm sure it would work fine, for example, in homemade crab rangoon.
I wonder what they would put in the shelf-stable can to preserve it. Of course there's the sanitization/pasturizing process.... and in a can it'd be vacuum-sealed. Is the canned stuff there in chunks or "flaked"? (not sure how else to describe it.... but little itty bitty pieces)

I'd be more likely to put that stuff in soup. In dumplings (like crab rangoon), it'd have to be chunks of meat...
Old May 4, 2022, 5:51 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Homemade pizza for lunch.

corky and boxo like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Eric’s Chinese, Sf ca

shared eggrolls

twice-cooked pork with rice
White rice

boxo likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Not bad. I'd never mistake these for chicharrónes. Kind of like crunchy Cheetos mixed with rice cake texture. Nice heat, good crunch.
pudgym29 and boxo like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
My dad worked a community fundraiser over the weekend and brought some unsold donated produce. So I’ve got two cases (6 each) 5 oz Organic Girl salad mixes and a half dozen Driscoll’s 1 lb strawberry cartons.

I saw Bays english muffins at a grocery store today and bought two because of this thread. I was on the cusp of buying online $2 per Stone & Skillet english muffins yesterday, but even with a 20% off code, I couldn’t do it because you have to buy a minimum of four bags (16 muffins) of any one flavor and I want to try all the flavors!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.