Today .... I (we) have been eating .... 2022 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today .... I (we) have been eating .... 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Our neighbors had a cassoulet party last night, so I had two kinds of cassoulet, a salad, mixed berry pie, and flourless chocolate cake. And a looooot of wine. I don't feel so great today.

I had my hangover breakfast this morning of a cheese omelette and a slice of bread with butter. I thought I was hungry at lunch but just went through the motions; had a leftover chicken thigh and some leftover potatoes.

Maybe I'll go lie down now.
I could use a nap and I'm not hungover.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
My mother gave me some fruit on Saturday and I just had the melon. A very tasty snack.

I am going to bake cod fillets tonight. Right now it is marinating in light beer and lime juice.

-J.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Breakfast: sliced smoked sausage, OJ, light roast coffee, slice of white bread (part).

The breakfast room was packed and the attendant was refilling trays as soon as she brought them out. I gave up.

Lunch: smoked turkey sandwich with nd cheez, Dukes mayo, sweet pickle slices and tomato from my garden.

Father in law picked 4 ripe tomatoes while we were away.

Dinner: whatever I find in the fridge, which won’t be much, although I can make a salad with the tomatoes and there’s a head of romaine ready in the garden.

On the ride home, Mrs BV got a text wishing us a happy 46th anniversary. Neither of us had remembered up until then. By all rights, we should be going out to dinner. We decided to postpone that until Saturday and go someplace nice instead of just improvising. We’ve driven 10 hours in the last 2 days and are both too tired to go out.
corky, phillygold, boxo and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ppq, San Francisco ca
Large #3 pho - with only tripe, tendon, brisket plus tender greens vegetable add-on.
I loved this more than my standard which also has nearly-raw flank (always great). I love cow offal. I would have preferred only tripe and tendon. Alas bowl had brisket on top and I forgot to adjust food to have tripe and tendon showing in photo!

Originally Posted by BamaVol
…On the ride home, Mrs BV got a text wishing us a happy 46th anniversary. Neither of us had remembered up until then. By all rights, we should be going out to dinner. We decided to postpone that until Saturday and go someplace nice instead of just improvising. We’ve driven 10 hours in the last 2 days and are both too tired to go out.
happy anniversary!!!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by gaobest
Ppq, San Francisco ca
Large #3 pho - with only tripe, tendon, brisket plus tender greens vegetable add-on.
I loved this more than my standard which also has nearly-raw flank (always great). I love cow offal. I would have preferred only tripe and tendon. Alas bowl had brisket on top and I forgot to adjust food to have tripe and tendon showing in photo!
Third time I have seen pho in the last hour (saw it twice on Facebook already). Making me want Pho Ga... a trip to Jackson Heights or Flushing may be in order.

I had a cup of Osem beef broth, finally finishing the container. The cod is now in the oven. Dessert tonight will be blackberries.

-J.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Third time I have seen pho in the last hour (saw it twice on Facebook already). Making me want Pho Ga... a trip to Jackson Heights or Flushing may be in order.

I had a cup of Osem beef broth, finally finishing the container. The cod is now in the oven. Dessert tonight will be blackberries.

-J.
I went across the street for a few essentials after we got home. The produce looked awful - specifically berries are out of season and show it. Strawberries were more white than red, blackberries looked dried out. It’s winter - time for oranges and apples and grapefruits. I hope your berries are better than what I saw.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I went across the street for a few essentials after we got home. The produce looked awful - specifically berries are out of season and show it. Strawberries were more white than red, blackberries looked dried out. It’s winter - time for oranges and apples and grapefruits. I hope your berries are better than what I saw.
I got lucky... they are more tart than sweet but I still enjoy it. Three containers for $5 at the fruit stand (but is still Driscoll's brand).

Kind of annoyed, I just got roped into going out for shawarma (even though I had dinner already). If I get anything, I'll get a salad to-go and have it tomorrow.

-J.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-J.
turtle tower in Sf is north vietnamese and they offer pho ga with chicken giblets! Good and I eventually switched to their beef soups.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of Israeli salad, I ended up getting the soup of the day which was Matzo Ball Soup. Very fluffy matzo balls and overall delicious, even if a little sweeter than I care for. A great time as always at Grill Point (known for their shawarma, which my friend got and looked amazing).

turtle tower in Sf is north vietnamese and they offer pho ga with chicken giblets! Good and I eventually switched to their beef soups.
I just looked to see where they have locations since I will be in SFO for a few hours next month, but unfortunately not long enough to go get pho. I will most likely stick with Priority Pass hopping (which was my original plan). I could get pho at Bambuza in SEA but I don't have very high expectations for airport pho (not to mention I do enjoy their take on gỏi cuốn and can get that instead).

-J.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just looked to see where they have locations since I will be in SFO for a few hours next month, but unfortunately not long enough to go get pho. I will most likely stick with Priority Pass hopping (which was my original plan). I could get pho at Bambuza in SEA but I don't have very high expectations for airport pho (not to mention I do enjoy their take on gỏi cuốn and can get that instead)...
If you are at Sfo airport then just get bun mee in T3 domestic (United terminal) - I think they’re also in T2. They’re a legit San Francisco restaurant cafe for bahn mi and they got franchised for Sfo. The Sfo spots have pho ga plus the bahn mi. I always eat pho ga at the airport and I get a carryout bahn mi for my flight or destination just in case I dislike my plane meal.
Sfo has enough lounges and quality dining that it’s pointless to leave Sfo if you only have 4 hours. Just enjoy the lounges and/or eateries.

as for turtle tower, there was a fun interview with the proprietor in David Chang’s food magazine lucky peach, which eventually folded. That’s how I learned about northern and southern vietnamese pho. I myself rarely go to turtle tower for logistics reasons plus their locations (neighborhoods) are extremely unpleasant and I don’t care to be in either area - it’s that pesty journey from car to eatery that makes it less fun. I still really love their food.
boxo and GW McLintock like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Family style dinner (11 people total) new year's day at Canale House Restaurant and had the following - and it was all delicious and spicy!

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are at Sfo airport then just get bun mee in T3 domestic (United terminal) - I think they’re also in T2. They’re a legit San Francisco restaurant cafe for bahn mi and they got franchised for Sfo. The Sfo spots have pho ga plus the bahn mi. I always eat pho ga at the airport and I get a carryout bahn mi for my flight or destination just in case I dislike my plane meal.
Sfo has enough lounges and quality dining that it’s pointless to leave Sfo if you only have 4 hours. Just enjoy the lounges and/or eateries.

as for turtle tower, there was a fun interview with the proprietor in David Chang’s food magazine lucky peach, which eventually folded. That’s how I learned about northern and southern vietnamese pho. I myself rarely go to turtle tower for logistics reasons plus their locations (neighborhoods) are extremely unpleasant and I don’t care to be in either area - it’s that pesty journey from car to eatery that makes it less fun. I still really love their food.
I'll definitely make a note of it. I don't love bahn mi so much but pho ga, yes that is my favorite! It also appears that they also have a very nice-looking kale mango salad with chicken.

I have about two and a half hours, arriving and departing T2 D-gates (Alaska Air). My plan was to do the Priority Pass restaurant trinity (Giants Clubhouse, Yankee Pier, Lark Creek Grill) as well as everything in SEA (Trail Head BBQ, Bambuza, if time then the The Club). Bambuza is a Vietnamese place and I think I mentioned I enjoy their salad rolls and they travel well too, so I was planning to stock up on those and have them the following day. Originally I would only have an hour and 10 minutes at SFO so I was planning to go to Lark Creek and that was it, but thanks to a change waiver I was able to severely mess it up. Of course this trip is now a month away, but I am excited

Today... I have been eating... nothing yet. I woke up about 45 minutes ago

-J.
boxo likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pumpernickel bagel with butter / cream cheese - I still have organic brick cream cheese that I bought in a panic at WF on 12/23 because they were out of other cream cheese and I didn’t know what Safeway would have. I had read the articles about cream cheese supply issues so thought it could occur for grocery. Of course once I was at Safeway, they had Philadelphia on sale!

I have about two and a half hours, arriving and departing T2 D-gates (Alaska Air). My plan was to do the Priority Pass restaurant trinity (Giants Clubhouse, Yankee Pier, Lark Creek Grill) as well as everything in SEA (Trail Head BBQ, Bambuza, if time then the The Club). Bambuza is a Vietnamese place and I think I mentioned I enjoy their salad rolls and they travel well too, so I was planning to stock up on those and have them the following day. Originally I would only have an hour and 10 minutes at SFO so I was planning to go to Lark Creek and that was it, but thanks to a change waiver I was able to severely mess it up. Of course this trip is now a month away, but I am excited ...
The giants restaurant is on par with the ORD cubs restaurant. Service isn’t fast so I’m not even sure if 150 minutes is enough for 3 restaurants nor do I know if it’s a good idea to eat at 3 restaurants - it’s too much food for your little tummy. Of course, I lack priority pass and don’t know what I’m missing :-)
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The giants restaurant is on par with the ORD cubs restaurant. Service isn’t fast so I’m not even sure if 150 minutes is enough for 3 restaurants nor do I know if it’s a good idea to eat at 3 restaurants - it’s too much food for your little tummy. Of course, I lack priority pass and don’t know what I’m missing :-)
I went to Giants Clubhouse back in 2020 and recall the food being just okay; I got a vodka soda and for whatever reason it tasted so off that I didn't finish it and got a beer instead. My plan is to get dinner at either Giants Clubhouse or Lark Creek Grill, and then just drink through my credits at the other two places (or possibly get a salad or something to-go for my trip back). I have a short turn in Seattle and Bambuza closes 7 minutes after I land, so I am not optimistic on stopping there twice in one day.

Last night I got a 70% Postmates coupon for select restaurants, so I am going to try to use that to get pho ga... maybe. It requires a minimum $40 subtotal. Blah. This got me to looking and I found one of the eligible restaurants is Pho-Best, a highly-recommended pho place. So now getting pho ga, seafood pho (with five fish balls to hit the order minimum), and jumbo shrimp & veggie pho. $24 including tax and this will be at least three big meals. Why do I do this to myself I put the last two servings of baked cod in the freezer to have another time.

Now having more blackberries.

UPDATE: I cannot win. Pho will wait until tomorrow. Going to my mom's for dinner tonight.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jan 4, 2022 at 10:56 am
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mapo tofu (using mushrooms in lieu of meat) with LKK jarred sauce
sauteed Shan hai bai cai (??) - it’s not as yummy as bok choy or baby bok choy and it seems to need to be cooked with something in order to have more taste. Maybe that’s why it was on sale for $1.29/lb
bibigo chicken pot stickers (Costco)
purple rice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.