Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Nachos: Canned Cheese Sauce or Fresh Cheese?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Nachos: Canned Cheese Sauce or Fresh Cheese?
Canned cheese only (if not available then no nachos)
4.35%
Fresh cheese only (if not available then no nachos)
34.78%
Fresh cheese preferred, but canned cheese ok
23.91%
Canned cheese preferred, but fresh cheese ok
6.52%
Either is fine
26.09%
Neither - no nachos for me
4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

I was discussing nachos, and the topic of canned nacho cheese was raised. I balked at using it, but my preferred nachos include a meat of some sort, diced onions, beans (pintos or refried), cilantro, jalapenos, and whatever shredded cheese I want that day.

Thoughts on nacho "cheese"?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kipper
I was discussing nachos, and the topic of canned nacho cheese was raised. I balked at using it, but my preferred nachos include a meat of some sort, diced onions, beans (pintos or refried), cilantro, jalapenos, and whatever shredded cheese I want that day.

Thoughts on nacho "cheese"?
Canned cheese? Those two words should never be uttered in the same sentence. One FT friend educated me about cheese from a spray can. I called bull on such an abomination until I saw that it was really true. I had never heard of canned cheese. Who uses cheese from a can?? Blecccchhh.
cblaisd, SanDiego1K, corky and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Canned cheese? Those two words should never be uttered in the same sentence. One FT friend educated me about cheese from a spray can. I called bull on such an abomination until I saw that it was really true. I had never heard of canned cheese. Who uses cheese from a can?? Blecccchhh.
Something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ricos-Gou...-0-OZ/10452386
Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Not quite as revolting as this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Easy-Chee...-8-oz/10292085 but still I ask, why??
Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I find canned cheese sauce nachos revolting, yet they are wildly popular wherever they are sold IME.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Not quite as revolting as this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Easy-Chee...-8-oz/10292085 but still I ask, why??
No, not quite as bad as that. Although, my vet uses Easy Cheese when giving dogs vaccinations, because they focus on eating that and they ignore the shots.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
There's a time and place for both. In a restaurant, I want fresh, shredded cheese. In a movie theater or ball park, I want the canned cheese.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
There is something sublime about tortilla chips, warmed industrial nacho cheese, and a bunch of sliced pickled jalapenos applied sloppily so you get some extra pickling juice.

Great alongside a 7-11 big bite with a bunch of industrial chili and reconstituted onions on top when you're feeling particularly self loathing.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:18 pm

Shredded cheese please. Cheesewhiz and similar cheese have their place, but not on nachos or fajitas.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun
There's a time and place for both. In a restaurant, I want fresh, shredded cheese. In a movie theater or ball park, I want the canned cheese.
I guess I can understand that.
Originally Posted by work2fly
There is something sublime about tortilla chips, warmed industrial nacho cheese, and a bunch of sliced pickled jalapenos applied sloppily so you get some extra pickling juice.

Great alongside a 7-11 big bite with a bunch of industrial chili and reconstituted onions on top when you're feeling particularly self loathing.
LOL
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Shredded cheese please. Cheesewhiz and similar cheese have their place, but not on nachos or fajitas.
The only place I've found for Cheez-Whiz is giving dogs meds.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:56 pm

The only place I've found for Cheez-Whiz is giving dogs meds.
I would not be feeding that to dogs. Most dogs I've had were allergic to cheese. (usually gave them the runs). I've used small drops of easy cheese (the spray can type... I've seen spreadable under that brand) in mouse traps and it seemed to do well (better than peanut butter).
Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I would not be feeding that to dogs. Most dogs I've had were allergic to cheese. (usually gave them the runs). I've used small drops of easy cheese (the spray can type... I've seen spreadable under that brand) in mouse traps and it seemed to do well (better than peanut butter).
It was the only way to get Sgt. Schultz to take his meds at one point, once he was too cantankerous to pill without something. He rejected mashed potatoes, peanut butter (also not an option for me to use for him), and basically everything but processed cheese spread. Considering he was dying of cancer anyway, he got what he would eat.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by work2fly

I can do the big bite, with or without the "chili", but I've never yet been hungry/desperate enough for the canned cheese nachos(after sampling them a few times of course). Same goes for the canned "queso dip" served in most tex-mex restaurants.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Noted nachos connoisseurs Beavis and Butthead would recommend canned.
top987 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Absolutely vile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.