Search

Favo(u)rite BBQ Sauce - commercial or homemade - for pulled pork

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by corky
If you are eating skin on chicken you are getting a lot of cholesterol.
A thread entitled "Favo(u)rite BBQ Sauce - commercial or homemade - for pulled pork" is unlikely to be a thread about the health concerns of cholesterol. In fact, the chicken with the skin is probably better for you than the pulled pork without chicharrones.
corky and JBord like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
corky and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
excited for our upcoming supper… wherever it’ll be in Grass Valley, CA.

just learned that the bbq joint in Carmel’s The Crossroads (strip mall with Safeway) is very good. Big yay - future bbq meal ftw!

Even thighs are just less than cow & pig.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A thread entitled "Favo(u)rite BBQ Sauce - commercial or homemade - for pulled pork" is unlikely to be a thread about the health concerns of cholesterol. In fact, the chicken with the skin is probably better for you than the pulled pork without chicharrones.
This…
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fat = Flavor

Boneless, skin-on thighs are DeVine.
I'll walk around the block for 30 minutes.

As for bone-in thighs, I'll cook skin side up for the first 35 minutes away from the heat/coals, then skin side down for the last 5-7 over direct heat.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Last edited by csufabel; Jun 16, 2021 at 8:59 pm
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csufabel
Fat = Flavor

Boneless, skin-on thighs are DeVine.
I'll walk around the block for 30 minutes.

As for bone-in thighs, I'll cook skin side up for the first 35 minutes away from the heat/coals, then skin side down for the last 5-7 over direct heat.
I agree that fat = flavor but the poster brought up his cholesterol issues & as you know all of the fat is right under the skin.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that fat = flavor but the poster brought up his cholesterol issues & as you know all of the fat is right under the skin.
Not my/our problem.
I have to grill skinless boneless chicken for my parents and chicken breasts are tasteless. If these chicken sandwiches were fried thighs, I really be in on the sandwich kick.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csufabel
Fat = Flavor
… As for bone-in thighs, I'll cook skin side up for the first 35 minutes away from the heat/coals, then skin side down for the last 5-7 over direct heat.
I like this idea plus the one from BrasiliaLover. For this idea, when cooking skin over direct heat, is the setting low medium or high? I did tell my spouse about “BrazilLover” having 45 years of chicken grilling experience and my spouse had to confirm that I said “BrazilLover.”

​​​​​​
The issue isn’t that im over cholesterolized and that im preferring less cholesterol. As it is im walking average of 55 minutes per day.
csufabel likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
I prefer my thighs and wings to be on the well done side, so if you want them especially juicy, you might need to cut down the grill time to a bit less than the aforementioned 40 minutes, but still turn them 4 times. Grilling is much more about trial and error and finding what YOU like than most types of cooking IMO.
I’m grilling now. I’m so excited!!!!
will turn over 4 times. It’s at LOW
i covered it. I hope that’s not wrong. It’s only uncovered for the photograph.

Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grilling now at low - super fun! I’m grilling longer and using 9-minute turns. For 1-2 turns, I’ll boost the temperature. So fun!!!
Old Jul 30, 2021, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by gaobest
You really need to replace those grates! Also, from time to time use a wadded up piece of aluminum foil to scrape off burnt drippings from those angled pieces under the grate that Weber calls "Flavorizer Bars", but if they're as old as the grates they're due for replacement as well. Both come in porcelain and stainless, but choose stainless.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
You really need to replace those grates! Also, from time to time use a wadded up piece of aluminum foil to scrape off burnt drippings from those angled pieces under the grate that Weber calls "Flavorizer Bars", but if they're as old as the grates they're due for replacement as well. Both come in porcelain and stainless, but choose stainless.
thank you - HOW best to do both other than looking on AMZN under Weber grill? I’ve never done something like this before. Those bars are under many choices on AMZN :-)
Old Jul 30, 2021, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thank you - HOW best to do both other than looking on AMZN under Weber grill? I’ve never done something like this before. Those bars are under many choices on AMZN :-)
Just cleaning them would be a good start---they should be cleaned every time that you grill. Those don't look like they have ever been cleaned.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Just cleaning them would be a good start---they should be cleaned every time that you grill. Those don't look like they have ever been cleaned.
The flavorizer bars or just the grates? After a long stint with charcoal, I'm now using a Genesis. I clean and oil the grates after every use, but I have yet to touch those flavorizer bars.
corky and Duke787 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’m grilling now. I’m so excited!!!!
will turn over 4 times. It’s at LOW

That grill looks nasty.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
The flavorizer bars or just the grates? After a long stint with charcoal, I'm now using a Genesis. I clean and oil the grates after every use, but I have yet to touch those flavorizer bars.
Just the grates with a good grill brush. I like the one from Weber. I still occasionally use my charcoal kettle and love it but 90% of the time it is with gas just for convenience.
Edited to add PSA: Whatever kind of grill brush you use, be sure to go over the grates with a paper towel or cloth or something ( I dip mine in oil). People have choked on a few little wires that sometimes come off when you are scraping and then get on your food.

Last edited by corky; Jul 31, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.