Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-made cocktail mix suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
While I'm on the topic, if you do use cherries, be sure to use real maraschino cherries. Those day-glo red ones you see everywhere are not real maraschino cherries. Maraschino cherries are a specifc type of cherry (marasca cherries) soaked in brandy made from their juice. They are mainly grown in the Dalmatian coast. They are much more expensive and sooooo worth it.

Luxardo is probably the most common brand of maraschino cherry. It's about $23 for a jar. Much more expensive and I could eat them by themselves.
Exactly. Old Fashioneds are really easy to make. I personally use half syrup and half Luxardo jar juice. And Angostura bitters of course.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for all of the posts. I also cannot reiterate enough what I said in the OP...

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm lazy

I know a lot of these drink mixes "are so easy to do yourself" and "you just need (to buy a bunch of stuff that I don't want cluttering my liquor cabinet or fridge and/or squeeze/muddle/yell the juice out of a bunch of fruits/vegetables/things found in the yard)". On a weekend afternoon/evening when I have no plans (which honestly is super rare), yes, I will spend the time to invent/craft a nice drink. On a weeknight, after a day of work, I simply just want to pour some mix, pour some booze, maybe use a shaker, then plop myself on my sofa and enjoy the drink.

The sugar content in some of these drink mixes are outrageous, and I definitely look at the labels before making a decision; however, the ones typically found in liquor stores--except for maybe "light" margarita mixes--rarely fit the bill.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The two minutes of prep (melting sugar and adding water) and Luxardo pays off in spades! No one can be that lazy! 😂
pseudoswede, gfunkdave and JBord like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The two minutes of prep (melting sugar and adding water) and Luxardo pays off in spades! No one can be that lazy! 😂
Even without a simple syrup, it takes me literally 2 minutes to make an old fashioned. The only "extra" ingredient the OP would need to have on hand is a small bottle of bitters.

I can understand not wanting to make a margarita, or some other drinks, from scratch for just one serving. But an old fashioned doesn't take any time.
LondonElite and gfunkdave like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
Even without a simple syrup, it takes me literally 2 minutes to make an old fashioned. The only "extra" ingredient the OP would need to have on hand is a small bottle of bitters.

I can understand not wanting to make a margarita, or some other drinks, from scratch for just one serving. But an old fashioned doesn't take any time.
The mix is just simple syrup and bitters. If you take 5 mins to make enough simple syrup for 20 old fashioneds, it takes the same amount of time to use a premade mix as it does to just do it yourself.

Why, the very idea of selling old fashioned "mix" is simply a nadir of dishonorable degeneracy and I won't stand for it!
Old Apr 27, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you really just can’t stomach even making an Old Fashioned, the Tip Top Old Fashioned that they are serving now on DL is pretty good. I’ve had a few over the last couple weeks and it’s a strong offering. It’s not sweet, it could almost pass as a Manhattan, but very good.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by corky
All those limes? How much are you drinking?? Limes keep a while in the fridge and you can even juice a bunch and freeze in ice cube trays for later. I couldn't live without my citrus squeezer.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...ds&wmSkipPwa=1
Do you (or anyone else) have a recipe for a margarita using fesh lime juice (and I will use Cointreau most likely as I have it, and good tequila).
Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Do you (or anyone else) have a recipe for a margarita using fesh lime juice (and I will use Cointreau most likely as I have it, and good tequila).
Thanks.
I'm not sure this is helpful at all, but I believe my wife uses a variation of Rick Bayless's Topolo margarita (https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/topolo-margarita/). She uses a little less sugar, and usually Triple Sec or Cointreau. The recipe instructions say to make the "mix" in the pitcher and then add tequila. My advice is to let others who will be drinking them with you know when you add the tequila. One time we had some friends over and, not knowing she had added the tequila to the pitcher already, I put a generous tequila pour in two glasses and then added the mix on top. Still delicious but a little more difficult to grill the flank steak after that..
MarkCron likes this.

Last edited by JBord; Apr 28, 2021 at 11:48 am Reason: unfinished sentence
Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Thanks.
My wife makes a really good margarita that is just fresh lime juice (14 - 18 limes to make 4 - 6 good sized drinks), Cointreau, and tequila plus a little Splenda if we have company that doesn’t like it quite as bitter as we do (you can also add a little water to add volume and smooth out the bitter lime flavor as desired). She then puts tajin around the rim and that’s it - it’s really good but really simple
MarkCron likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 4:42 am

Jaime Oliver’s one is pretty good. If I recall it is just 1 part lime juice, 1 part Cointreau, 2 parts tequila. Serve neat, over ice or whizzed.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Jaime Oliver’s one is pretty good. If I recall it is just 1 part lime juice, 1 part Cointreau, 2 parts tequila. Serve neat, over ice or whizzed.
That's a true margarita, and what we usually make at home. Haven't done it in ages though. I don't mind the sweeter foo foo ones in bars occasionally, but it's almost like a completely different drink.
Old May 1, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by braslvr
That's a true margarita, and what we usually make at home. Haven't done it in ages though. I don't mind the sweeter foo foo ones in bars occasionally, but it's almost like a completely different drink.
I like just a little simple syrup to take the sour edge off the lime juice.
corky and JBord like this.
Old May 11, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I bought a bottle of Daniel's Broiler Old Fashioned mix from Amazon. It appears they are an upscale steakhouse in the Seattle area that charges $18 for an Old Fashioned. 5g of sugar in a 3/4 oz serving, which means adding 3oz. of your favorite whiskey/bourbon. The fruit notes (mainly orange) is very subtle, maybe too subtle. However, it's not too bad.
JBord likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 2:32 pm

I've yet to find a pre-made mix for margaritas that I like unfortunately. Most of them are indeed too sickly sweet. So I'm stuck making my own mix, which means I don't drink them as much as I'd probably like . Personally, while it might sound a bit weird, what I've used is basically an equal mix of lemon juice, sugar, and water, then add half a lime per drink, plus some orange juice, then of course the tequila and some sort of orange liqueur (basically, I use what I have, whether it's cointreau (probably my most common), patron citronge, curacao, or grand marnier. My wife tends not to like the grand marnier, so we haven't used that in a while. While there's sugar in it, to me at least it doesn't come out as sickly sweet, and with the orange juice, takes some of the edge off the harsher lime and lemon juices. I think I got the recipe when I was originally trying to recreate a decent margarita I'd had on a cruise ship, and I think at least Patron listed it as a recipe for a while.
Old May 16, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
For fruity cocktails, I'm a big fan of Barmalade (https://www.barmalade.com/) - 1oz of their mix, some lime juice, and booze are most of their recipes. Although this is more effort than a scratch Old Fashioned, it is easier than, for instance, a Margarita. Mango Habenero is my fave!
pseudoswede and gfunkdave like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.