Wiki Posts
Search

Aldi & other markets discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
In the region of the US where I live (midwest), Aldi was viewed derisively for many years by wealthy and even middle class families as being basically the grocery equivalent of a dollar store..
I've only been into one Aldi in the U.S. ust once and that was the/a Rochester MN one well over a dozen years ago. Yes, it did look rather sad and filled with 3rd tier brands so a dollar store comparison was apt at that time (I'm not a snob and frequent the ones in Europe).

The same thing used to be said about Aldi and its twin Lidi in the U.K. until they started to make available private-and brand label stuff supposedly as good if not superior to brands (thinking wines, at least). The other marketing big draw - as it is in continental Europe - is the weekly assortment of (mostly) non-perishables hat got people coming n every week. Do the U.S. branches offer that?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think it was an attempt at humour which failed.

Maybe except I know a few who have made similar statements about Aldi and they were not joking about the quarter and bagging their own groceries. I shop Aldi for the convenience. The same with Sam’s Scan N Go or order ahead vs waiting in line at Costco.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by TGarza
Maybe except I know a few who have made similar statements about Aldi and they were not joking about the quarter and bagging their own groceries. I shop Aldi for the convenience. The same with Sam’s Scan N Go or order ahead vs waiting in line at Costco.
now that Costco has self-checkout, I’m sure that they will implement scan & go as soon as they figure out how to have receipt-printing stations for the receipt check at the exit :-)
Old Mar 11, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest
now that Costco has self-checkout, I’m sure that they will implement scan & go as soon as they figure out how to have receipt-printing stations for the receipt check at the exit :-)
Sam’s scans the QR code on the phone screen and then a couple of items in the cart. Even beer and wine can be purchased with the Scan n Go. The QR code is red instead of black with a note to provide your ID for age verification.

Sam’s has had Scan N Go and order ahead for several years. I was surprised Costco was trailing in the customer checkout technology especially order ahead and pick up.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, but in practical terms, no one, even in Germany, would be able to tell the difference between an Aldi Nord and an Aldi Süd store.
The logos are different, therefore easy to distinguish Nord from Süd
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know there’s a Trader Joe’s separate thread but they have so many useful products at Costco-like prices that I’m getting more staples there than before for my weekly visits. They carry some bread products at prices better than Safeway.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by thelark
Central Market clear winner, though I won’t be going there or HEB as they’ve declared the stores mask-optional for customers.
Didn't H-E-B backtrack on its mask-optional policy in less than 24 hours? Went to Central Market earlier this week and I'm pretty sure there was still a masks required sign at the entrance.

In what was a very strange lead story on DFW local news tonight, H-E-B is opening two regular (non-Central Market) stores in DFW: one in Plano and one in Frisco. Why does a supermarket chain opening two locations in a 7 million metro area deserve 90 seconds of air time on a 30 minute news broadcast?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
Didn't H-E-B backtrack on its mask-optional policy in less than 24 hours? Went to Central Market earlier this week and I'm pretty sure there was still a masks required sign at the entrance.

In what was a very strange lead story on DFW local news tonight, H-E-B is opening two regular (non-Central Market) stores in DFW: one in Plano and one in Frisco. Why does a supermarket chain opening two locations in a 7 million metro area deserve 90 seconds of air time on a 30 minute news broadcast?
slotting swap :-)
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:03 pm

20 years ago I walked into an Aldi store near Den Haag and it was the filthiest store I'd ever seen. No way was I purchasing food there.

6 years ago I checked out the Aldi ~2 miles from us, and while it was reasonably clean, it was small and unexciting. It was next door to a Dollar General in a location with zero foot traffic, a challenging turn into the parking lot and I just didn't see the point of going. Also, almost zero gluten-free products.

In 2018 a friend emailed about a big gluten-free promo in the month of May at Aldi stores. The dumpy store had moved to a bigger, newer building right on my path to my usual store. One visit there and I switched 75% of my shopping to Aldi: they carry the only gluten-free bread my kid can eat now that several major GF brands have thrown a bunch of "healthier" grains (read: life-threatening allergens) into their breads and quite a few other gluten-free products. Our elderly cat loves their water-pack tuna, and I buy at least a dozen cans of that each week, for 65¢/can, for the cat.

There's definitely a cross section of the community there, but I wouldn't call them riff-raff.
Old May 1, 2021, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by CDTraveler

There's definitely a cross section of the community there, but I wouldn't call them riff-raff.
You've not been to an Aldi in the UK then.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I loved the Lidl in bruxelles and my local friends there had a wide range of opinions. I would say the same about any grocery chain and the riff raff, whose range depends on a subjective POV. I would enjoy visiting Aldi if they opened in my city, which I doubt will occur; before I had time to visit supermarkets, I never saw the failed Tesco experiment but people loved it during the first month.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
You've not been to an Aldi in the UK then.
Actually, I have. It was unexciting, no better or worse than other markets I was in. Checking out grocery stores/ food markets is a travel hobby of mine; I think I was in 16 of them in 14 days. Sainbury's, Tesco, Aldi, M&S food halls, corner shop in York, and probably a few I don't remember. Iceland was the one that was disgusting in terms of cleanliness and quality.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Maybe I am too middle class but I strongly prefer Lidl to Aldi. They usually have some interesting products at excellent prices (eg a leg of Serrano ham a couple of years ago), whereas Aldi is just grim.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Aldi UK has interesting products like this. Probably sold out first day

https://www.aldi.co.uk/gardenline-bb...04913451084200

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras...-b1820936.html
Old May 6, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Aldi works well for us, the basic meat products are comparable to Costco and with 4x Amex points (depending on which card) vs zero at Costco its a no brainer.
Fruit and vegetables are also generally quite fresh and cheap so its a win win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.