Godiva Closing All North America Stores

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Godiva Closing All North America Stores

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/...f-15893983.php

I feel so guilty. This act was clearly caused by all the money I never spent there. While I cannot guarantee that I never spent money in a North America Godiva outlet, the odds are good that my lifetime spend is under $10.

RIP, retail outlets for Pennsylvania-manufactured marginal chocolates.
hugolover and JBord like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/...f-15893983.php

I feel so guilty. This act was clearly caused by all the money I never spent there. While I cannot guarantee that I never spent money in a North America Godiva outlet, the odds are good that my lifetime spend is under $10.

RIP, retail outlets for Pennsylvania-manufactured marginal chocolates.
Oh my....I might have to see if there is a closing sale going on at Manhattan Mall Godiva. This store has ice cream and it is delicious.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I’m sure they’ll maintain mail order and web sales. No idea why sees still has their shops.

Bye bye bye
Old Jan 24, 2021, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
I’m sure they’ll maintain mail order and web sales. No idea why sees still has their shops.

Bye bye bye
See's sales would likely plummet without retail locations.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Didn't know Campbell Soup had flogged it off to the Turks over a decade ago. Campbell Soup employees could buy rejects real cheap in Camden.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does this include the Godiva counters inside certain department stores?
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does this include the Godiva counters inside certain department stores?
As succinctly stated in the quoted article, " The products will continue to be sold online, in grocery stores and other retailers that carry their products."
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:22 am

Please don't leave me chocolate. I miss you so much on my diet.
corky likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:46 am

Never liked their chocolate or prices...won't be missed.
JBord likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:21 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Good riddance! The most over-priced mass produced crap chocolate I have ever had. I never understood anyone's affinity for Godiva.

See's on the other hand, I would miss. Berkshire is milking every last penny out of it, but it still holds a place in my heart.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If I want Godiva, I simply buy it from my local supermarket. What's the point of a Godiva store, any more than a Kelloggs store for your cereal?

As for See's, I've never liked them at all, so my attitude to them is that they wouldn't get shelf space in a fair competitive environment, so better to exclude better chocolate and guilt trip customers into buying after offering them a little piece.
FLYMSY and JBord like this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Good riddance! The most over-priced mass produced crap chocolate I have ever had. I never understood anyone's affinity for Godiva.

See's on the other hand, I would miss. Berkshire is milking every last penny out of it, but it still holds a place in my heart.
Crap? I agree that it is overpriced but I do like it and certainly wouldn't consider it crap. See's is just ok.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Godiva was ok. Never though much of the brand quality, but it was ok.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
Crap? I agree that it is overpriced but I do like it and certainly wouldn't consider it crap. See's is just ok.
See's is fine. It is also a childhood taste for many "out west." The actual See's chocolate quality is excellent (Guittard). The fillings range from "Can I spit this out without anyone noticing" to "oh this is really tasty." But there's no accounting for taste, as some of those "spit out" flavors have been around as long as I can remember, and I'm sure some of my faves are the "spit out" selections of others.

I've always thought the Godiva was marginal - at least the US made product. Not worth the $, that's for sure. Which reminds me - I have some TJ's minty chocolate covered marshmallows that never made the trip to Chile last month (where my amigo and his mom fight over them). Time to eat!
corky likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 8:16 pm

See's is fine. It is also a childhood taste for many "out west." The actual See's chocolate quality is excellent (Guittard). The fillings range from "Can I spit this out without anyone noticing" to "oh this is really tasty." But there's no accounting for taste, as some of those "spit out" flavors have been around as long as I can remember, and I'm sure some of my faves are the "spit out" selections of others.
Native Californian who grew up with See's being a special treat here. One of my favorite things about See's is the ability to pick out exactly the pieces I want, no getting stuck with the "spit out" pieces in my custom packed box. Now that I live on the opposite coast, my SoCal sis-in-law keeps a list of my favorites & my son's favorites on her phone, and we get periodic care packages w/ a custom box for each of us.

Having traveled around Belgium more than a few times now, I've sampled a fair bit of "real Belgian chocolate" and there's one thing about all those little, local chocolate boutiques I don't like: too many pieces are melt-in-your-hand purees, and there are too few nutty/crunchy/chewy options. YMMV.

I've always thought the Godiva was marginal - at least the US made product. Not worth the $, that's for sure.
Godiva hasn't resembled actual Belgian chocolate for 20+ years. I won't miss it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.