Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Five Guys vs. Smashburger - which for both burger AND fries

Five Guys vs. Smashburger - which for both burger AND fries

Old Nov 10, 20, 12:44 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
When I go to 5 Guys, I rather eat the peanuts than the fries. They give a cup of fries for a small order then add another scoop on top of them in the bag, making the bag itself very greasy. I usually end up throwing half of them out even if I am sharing them with my wife. If I am eating lunch solo, I will just get a one patty Bacon Burger as I don't really like American Cheese and get a cardboard container of peanuts.

BEWARE if you have a peanut allergy, I would not eat at 5 Guys as they are in open boxes (pre-Covid) and the dust is all over the store.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
My experience of 5 Guys is that their fries are terrible.
As noted, ordering In-N-Out fries "well-done" makes a huge difference!
I like to order them "light well" and they are usually perfect.
Old Nov 10, 20, 1:52 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Good info. Limp fries are why I don't like In-N-Out. Yes, take out but since a friend is picking me up, I don't want to make her drive to 2 places plus I just want to get my food, stuff my face at home and go to sleep.
Parmesan fries, you say? That sounds right up my alley.
There is a new Popeye's near the place but not quite open yet otherwise I would go there for a fried chicken piece of heaven sandwich.
Between the two, go Smashburger if you like crispy fries. I think the burgers are a little better but for the beef I'd choose In-N-Out over either. Or Culver's. Or Shake Shack.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:38 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Great Fries at 5 Guys, but I can't recall the last time they didn't cook my burger until it was VERY Well Done. That doesn't happen at Smash. And ^^ to the Parmesan fries
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:47 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I could do burgers at either place, but vastly prefer the fries at Five Guys. To me, fries are suposed to be greasy, salty and delicious, not the herbed, glazed things that Smashburger sells.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I just like fries... well use too... doctor told me stop... oh well
Old Nov 10, 20, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've been to 5 Guys many times and Smashburger only once, based completely on availability.

My Smashburger experience was fine but nothing special. I find Five Guys to be one of the best gourmet fast food burger places, if you go to the right store. The problem is inconsistency. The one closest to our home is one we avoid, because the teens working the grill don't seem to know what they're doing.

In your situation, to avoid disappointment, I'd probably go with Smashburger. But try 5 Guys a different time to find out if it's a good one or not.
corky and Jaimito Cartero like this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
5 Guys is definitely better, in the fries and burger category. How the fries are done seem fine to me, although I may ask for crispier ones next time just to try them out.

Just remember the fry portion is large. We get the regular size, and it’s enough for all three of us. Their cajun spiced fries never did anything for me.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 7:05 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Love the fries at 5 Guys. Remember having a fancy meal a couple of years ago. instead of having deserts at the fancy restaurant, we walked a block to have fries for desert at 5 Guys. A wonderful finish for a wonderful night out. Been to Smashburger once but don't remember anything special about it.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
For the burgers, I wind up going to 5 Guys rather than Smashburger because it's in the same plaza as my dry cleaner. Couldn't tell you where the nearest Smashburger is. However, I find 5 Guys to be greasy every single time I've had it regardless of what location. Don't remember that about Smashburger.

As for the fries, they're two different styles. 5 Guys are what we'd call boardwalk style fries here in the mid-Atlantic. Their portions are also huge. I never finish an entire order and I get the smallest one I can get. If I remember correctly, the Smashburger fries are shoestring if not match stick fries. They're much thinner than the 5 Guys ones. I did try them with the rosemary, garlic, and olive oil and decided I prefer them plain.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by corky View Post
I went on smashburger's website and they have fries with rosemary and garlic so that might be the decider. That sounds good.
Smashburger fries can be oily which I don't like. My wife likes the thin and oily rosemary and garlic fries from Smashburger. Thankfully the location nearest our home closed.
corky likes this.

Last edited by TGarza; Nov 10, 20 at 2:44 pm
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ilove2fly View Post
Love the fries at 5 Guys. Remember having a fancy meal a couple of years ago. instead of having deserts at the fancy restaurant, we walked a block to have fries for desert at 5 Guys. A wonderful finish for a wonderful night out. Been to Smashburger once but don't remember anything special about it.
Fries for dessert after a fancy pants dinner ....i like the way you roll.
Old Nov 10, 20, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Definitely small size fries at 5 Guys! :-)
Old Nov 10, 20, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I find 5 Guys fries tend to be mushy and tasteless. I’ve tried them in several locations, but they just don’t work for me. My local French restaurant does much better frites.
corky likes this.
Old Nov 10, 20, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest View Post
Definitely small size fries at 5 Guys! :-)
I think based on everyone's input--THANK YOU--that I am going with smashburger. I don't want to risk limp fries...I like crispy McD's type fries.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: