Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Another reason 2020 is an awful year: Coca-Cola is discontinuing TaB after 57 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another reason 2020 is an awful year: Coca-Cola is discontinuing TaB after 57 years

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I remember growing up, my dad would order me either a Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers. I don't recall why they were called these names, but remember that one was Cherry Coke before Cherry Coke, the other was either Cherry flavored Sprite or 7-up. The cherry flavor came from Grenadine.
JBord likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I remember growing up, my dad would order me either a Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers. I don't recall why they were called these names, but remember that one was Cherry Coke before Cherry Coke, the other was either Cherry flavored Sprite or 7-up. The cherry flavor came from Grenadine.
Coke with Grenadine and a maraschino cherry was a "Kiddie Cocktail" in my day!
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Coke with Grenadine and a maraschino cherry was a "Kiddie Cocktail" in my day!
That was a Rob Roy in my day (although we probably were around the same day). Of course, some of us grew up in Soda land, and others in Pop land, and others in Coke (no matter what it was) land.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That was a Rob Roy in my day (although we probably were around the same day). Of course, some of us grew up in Soda land, and others in Pop land, and others in Coke (no matter what it was) land.
Really? A Rob Roy is an actual cocktail - basically a Manhattan made with Scotch.

Don't you mean Roy Rodgers?
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Really? A Rob Roy is an actual cocktail - basically a Manhattan made with Scotch.

Don't you mean Roy Rodgers?
I did. Perhaps I was recollecting a sip or two of grandma's whiskey sour when I posted. And I can blame the rest on CMP Syndrome.*

(*Chronic Manischewitz Poisoning)
JBord likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by teddybear99
I loved Shirley Temples. My parents weren't big drinkers, so it was a rare treat if they would get a cocktail or glass of wine at a restaurant and order me a ST. I don't remember ever having a cherry flavored cola until Cherry Coke came out in the mid-80s.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I loved Shirley Temples. My parents weren't big drinkers, so it was a rare treat if they would get a cocktail or glass of wine at a restaurant and order me a ST. I don't remember ever having a cherry flavored cola until Cherry Coke came out in the mid-80s.
Then you clearly didn't grow up in the land of Shasta Soda, where we had pretty much every flavor, even before it was invented
Old Dec 15, 2020, 3:50 pm

I did. Perhaps I was recollecting a sip or two of grandma's whiskey sour when I posted. And I can blame the rest on CMP Syndrome.*

(*Chronic Manischewitz Poisoning)
Not sure why, but this reminds me of our trips to Wisconsin to visit my mother's relatives when I was a kid. We would go to visit her Aunt Lizzy and Uncle Ed. Aunt Lizzy knew my dad liked a nip so she always offered him a glass of "David Morgan."
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
What about our fresca???
I saw Fresca in a Grocery Outlet store recently. I noticed it because my Dad loved the stuff. I thought they stopped making it decades ago, so I wondered how old the stuff in Grocery Outlet was?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:34 am

Then you clearly didn't grow up in the land of Shasta Soda, where we had pretty much every flavor, even before it was invented
It hasta be Shasta!

Shasta Black Cherry was the best fruit flavored soda ever, and the grapefruit was also good.

Back in the day, if one, or more likely one's parents, ordered a Shirley Temple in a restaurant with a bar, it was made with carbonated water from the soda gun, not actual commercial soda like 7-Up. And if one was really lucky, one could add the cherry from Dad's Rye Manhattan to their Shirley Temple. These days if a parent gave a kid the cherry from their alcoholic beverage, somebody would probably call CPS.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I forgot what this thread is about but I’d like you all to know I’m enjoying a splendid Old Fashioned, with the divine cherries from Luxardo.
JBord likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
It hasta be Shasta!

Shasta Black Cherry was the best fruit flavored soda ever, and the grapefruit was also good.
The Black Cherry was also a popular pear poaching liquid, at least in the LA area.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I forgot what this thread is about but I’d like you all to know I’m enjoying a splendid Old Fashioned, with the divine cherries from Luxardo.
I made the mistake of bringing home Luxardo cherries once, and now my wife is spoiled for all other preserved cherries in her cocktails. I refuse to spend that much on cherries except as a special treat, so maybe she's not that spoiled .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.