Hershey's chocolate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hershey's chocolate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 3:27 pm
Suspended

I love Hershy’s chocolate. Milk chocolate is far superior than dark chocolate, no matter who makes it.

I don’t hate dark chocolate, but milk chocolate = yuuuum.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by FriscoHeavy
I love Hershy’s chocolate. Milk chocolate is far superior than dark chocolate, no matter who makes it.

I don’t hate dark chocolate, but milk chocolate = yuuuum.
I prefer milk chocolate to dark also.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
Me three. I always feel like I should prefer dark but I am just a milk kinda guy.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Me three. I always feel like I should prefer dark but I am just a milk kinda guy.
Me four. Dark chocolate is for cooking.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I always preferred Wilbur's Chocolate to Hershey's Chocolate, but I also think that the taste of Hershey's got noticeably worse in the mid-2000s when they went away from cocoa butter to vegetable oil.

Closing the factories in Hershey and an attempt by board members to sell the company out from under the Dauphin County Orphans' and the Hershey Trust also soured the taste of their products for me as well.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Wilbur
I always preferred Wilbur's Chocolate to Hershey's Chocolate, but I also think that the taste of Hershey's got noticeably worse in the mid-2000s when they went away from cocoa butter to vegetable oil.

Closing the factories in Hershey and an attempt by board members to sell the company out from under the Dauphin County Orphans' and the Hershey Trust also soured the taste of their products for me as well.
Mmmm, Wilbur Buds!
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by kipper
As do I. I've also never noticed anything foul about Hershey chocolate. Or Nestle, or Mars. Reese's PB cups are one of my favorite candies and are made by Hershey...
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:33 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bensyd
Yes. But Australians will eat promite, marmite, cenovis etc....
How many Aussie’s eat Marmite? Probably none. It’s really a British institution. 😀. Most Aussie kids were raised on Vegemite, a much milder taste than Marmite.

Hershey’s is not a high quality refined product, and it doesn’t claim to be. I try it sometimes as a novelty, but it’s definitely a bit rough for my liking. Swiss chocolate for me.

Also, Cadbury’s chocolate in the US is nothing like the Australian or UK products for smoothness and taste.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:24 am

In addition to the bitter taste from the acid, overuse of sugar and grainy texture, I have a vague memory Hershey couldn’t be sold as chocolate in Europe due to the level of cocoa butter being far below minimum requirements.

Terrible stuff.

On the other hand I did like Ghirardelli the last time I tried it. It’s not really premium, but it’s a nice chocolate.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP reminded me of my first, shocking, encounter with Hershey’s. Was in London, late 80s, had been curious about Hershey’s bars and Tootsie rolls because of all the exposure to US TV and movies, and there it was, in a Delicatessen. Wildly overpriced because it was an import. Buying it, I felt like Charlie Bucket from Willie Wonka. First chance I got, I carefully tore the wrapper and prepared to savour this icon of America.

Yep, vomit was the first thing that sprang to my mind also. At least with Marmite and Vegemite you can cook with the stuff (Marmite is my “hidden ingredient” in some of our Japanese - and even Spanish - family classics), but Hershey’s is irredeemable. I still remember the metallic bile taste from back then. Biggest “gourmet” disappoIntment of my life; way, WAY beyond the somehow predictable tooth aching “meh” of candycorn.

I’ve made lovely chocolate mousses and desserts with sour cream. Only “milk” product that has ever come close to explaining the vileness of Hershey’s is that desiccated, powdered Parmesan stuff from those cardboard tubes (I see it less with each passing decade). That has a similar dried puke “tang”.

Originally Posted by DC9
How many Aussie’s eat Marmite? Probably none. It’s really a British institution. 😀.
New Zealanders would beg to differ (although U.K. Marmite and NZ Marmite are profoundly different)

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 21, 2020 at 5:29 am
Old Aug 21, 2020, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by braslvr
As do I. I've also never noticed anything foul about Hershey chocolate. Or Nestle, or Mars. Reese's PB cups are one of my favorite candies and are made by Hershey...

Nothing beats a Reese's. I've tried other brands, but none of them hold a candle to Hershey's on this front.

Now, in regards to a standard chocolate bar, I don't disagree that there are some really nice ones out there and I like trying them around the world, but it doesn't make the Hershey's brand bad and taste like 'vomit'. That's a very interesting, but yet laughable descriptor.

But no matter who makes it, hands up for Milk Chocolate. My wife prefers Dark.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by FriscoHeavy
Now, in regards to a standard chocolate bar, I don't disagree that there are some really nice ones out there and I like trying them around the world, but it doesn't make the Hershey's brand bad and taste like 'vomit'. That's a very interesting, but yet laughable descriptor..
It really isn’t, it’s simply science. As the poster above indicated, butyric acid is common between both “substances” (and also in Parmesan mentioned above), so not surprising that it triggers this association.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
It really isn’t, it’s simply science. As the poster above indicated, butyric acid is common between both “substances” (and also in Parmesan mentioned above), so not surprising that it triggers this association.
Both you and BearX220 mentioned butyric acid. Just looked it up, it explains SO much (and finally solves why I love fresh Parmesan but hate the dried, processed kind).
Thank you!
gfunkdave, Kgmm77 and lhrsfo like this.

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 21, 2020 at 8:29 am Reason: Add link
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Conversely, I just discovered I had an unopened bag of Dove milk chocolate pieces in the kitchen cabinet. What a nice surprise! I love Dove milk chocolate.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by LapLap
OP reminded me of my first, shocking, encounter with Hershey’s. Was in London, late 80s, had been curious about Hershey’s bars and Tootsie rolls because of all the exposure to US TV and movies, and there it was, in a Delicatessen. Wildly overpriced because it was an import. Buying it, I felt like Charlie Bucket from Willie Wonka. First chance I got, I carefully tore the wrapper and prepared to savour this icon of America.

Yep, vomit was the first thing that sprang to my mind also. At least with Marmite and Vegemite you can cook with the stuff (Marmite is my “hidden ingredient” in some of our Japanese - and even Spanish - family classics), but Hershey’s is irredeemable. I still remember the metallic bile taste from back then. Biggest “gourmet” disappoIntment of my life; way, WAY beyond the somehow predictable tooth aching “meh” of candycorn.

I’ve made lovely chocolate mousses and desserts with sour cream. Only “milk” product that has ever come close to explaining the vileness of Hershey’s is that desiccated, powdered Parmesan stuff from those cardboard tubes (I see it less with each passing decade). That has a similar dried puke “tang”.

New Zealanders would beg to differ (although U.K. Marmite and NZ Marmite are profoundly different)

American chocolate tends to be too synthetic to be worth eating with a couple of exceptions. Ghirardelli is fine but for good eats, you need to go for Sees Candies. Only problem is, its very expensive.

European chocolate is without question, superior to american mass produced rubbish.

Same for cheese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.