Reload this Page >

Consolidated "What does ____ cost at grocery stores in your location?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 9:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Inspired by this topic, please use this thread to ask or report about prices for foodstuffs in your locale.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Safeway has sirloin steak value packs on sale at $4.99/lb - normally $12.99/lb. what’s your sale price on steaks, outside Costco?

also paid $0.99/lb for chicken drumsticks in value pack

and I froze 2/3 of the meats :-)
corky likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
For some reason, Coke products seem to be cheaper here in Michigan than elsewhere. A six pack of 16.9 bottles of Diet Coke usually costs me around $3.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Safeway has sirloin steak value packs on sale at $4.99/lb - normally $12.99/lb. what’s your sale price on steaks, outside Costco?

I am not a sirloin fan....decent flavor but a tough cut of meat IMO--wow normally $12.99? . Prices for steaks will vary depending on the cut and sale rotation so hard to say. I look at the ads when they come out on tuesday. Costco carries prime grade and most supermarkets do not or only limited inventory if that matters to you.
So did you break down all the big packs and label etc before freezing? It is a little bit of work but it is worth it.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
I am not a sirloin fan....decent flavor but a tough cut of meat IMO--wow normally $12.99? . Prices for steaks will vary depending on the cut and sale rotation so hard to say. I look at the ads when they come out on tuesday. Costco carries prime grade and most supermarkets do not or only limited inventory if that matters to you.
So did you break down all the big packs and label etc before freezing? It is a little bit of work but it is worth it.
yes! I learn from the best - you and fellow people here. I did indeed sharpie mark the date and product on the freezer bag, opened the package, shrunk-wrap the individual product, and then froze it while trying to minimize air. It’s not vacuum packed but most air is gone and I’ll need to cook this before I can purchase more no matter the sale. I’m aware that something is always on sale, in theory.

I know that Costco has better quality meat and the choice meat at Safeway is still adequate - once cooked and served well, I just wouldn’t notice the difference. I’m satisfied with filtered ice water at meals so the prime / choice won’t matter.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Walgreens has good prices on Coke products, with the Balance Rewards card you can get 3 12 packs of your choice for $9.99.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The meat processing plant issues are finally hitting Safeway (Albertsons). Beef that had a $5.99/lb sale price tag suddenly was costing $6.99 at self-checkout and I had to call over a cashier to give the proper discount. For this week’s new sales that started Wednesday (today), there’s no $5.99/lb beef although the 3-day weekend will have some $6.99/lb ribeye. So my guess is that $5.99/lb sale steaks will be finished and we’ll have a new higher price point. Eek.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

That regular price seems very expensive for supermarket rump (I think American sirloin is Australian rump). That prices out at AU$40/kg. I pay about half that for rump steaks. Is there a bit of price inflation going on before they discount it so it appears to be better bargain?

ETA: Sorry I just realised your post is from well over a month ago!
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have Amazon Prime Whole Food has 35% off ice cream. I got a couple containers of Gelato.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bensyd
That regular price seems very expensive for supermarket rump (I think American sirloin is Australian rump). That prices out at AU$40/kg. I pay about half that for rump steaks. Is there a bit of price inflation going on before they discount it so it appears to be better bargain?
ETA: Sorry I just realised your post is from well over a month ago!
that’s ok! I agree regarding possible pricing tricks. I’m looking more at actual cost than the retail. Yesterday I bought Choice ribeye steaks for $6.99/lb which is a good sale price. I believe that Prime were almost double and it’s hard to know if the Choice tastes only half as good as Prime :-)

If you have Amazon Prime Whole Food has 35% off ice cream. I got a couple containers of Gelato.
we have AMZN but WF has a consistent entry queue so I’ve quit driving there to shop or even investigate. I’m missing out on much because I used to do the majority of my shopping at WF. Sometimes I’ve anecdotally driven past WF when en route somewhere, and I’ll notice a queue. It only affirms my macro decision to shop initially at Safeway (majority, esp staples) and Gus’ (very specific higher-end deli / butcher / coffee / produce). WF has the best strawberries in summer and we’ve missed out on them this year.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that’s ok! I agree regarding possible pricing tricks. I’m looking more at actual cost than the retail. Yesterday I bought Choice ribeye steaks for $6.99/lb which is a good sale price. I believe that Prime were almost double and it’s hard to know if the Choice tastes only half as good as Prime :-)

we have AMZN but WF has a consistent entry queue so I’ve quit driving there to shop or even investigate. I’m missing out on much because I used to do the majority of my shopping at WF. Sometimes I’ve anecdotally driven past WF when en route somewhere, and I’ll notice a queue. It only affirms my macro decision to shop initially at Safeway (majority, esp staples) and Gus’ (very specific higher-end deli / butcher / coffee / produce). WF has the best strawberries in summer and we’ve missed out on them this year.
Yes I waited in line...only 5 minutes at the most. I appreciate that they are limiting the number of customers.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I waited in line...only 5 minutes at the most. I appreciate that they are limiting the number of customers.
agreed - all supermarkets in sf are limiting the numbers. They all enforce queues when needed. I just equate a queue with the shop being at a capacity so I eschew them. Other desired shops also have queues when I notice. I’ve been lucky to avoid Safeway queues for awhile.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
FWIW, Whole Foods on the Peninsula have online contact-less shopping at no extra charge. You pick your stuff, make an appointment to go to the store, and someone will load your groceries into the back of your car. Honestly, it's tempting to eschew in-store grocery shopping for good.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by work2fly
FWIW, Whole Foods on the Peninsula have online contact-less shopping at no extra charge. You pick your stuff, make an appointment to go to the store, and someone will load your groceries into the back of your car. Honestly, it's tempting to eschew in-store grocery shopping for good.
I cannot imagine being happy with someone else picking out my produce and meats, sight unseen until I get home.
corky, braslvr and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
it would work for me if everything was pre-packed in clamshell packing. I guess it works for packaged everything but nothing from produce, butcher, and bakery. Alas I doubt sf has this. I should investigate. Thank you. I could get my organic WF private label brands. I assume it’s paid online with order. I’ll google and check.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I cannot imagine being happy with someone else picking out my produce and meats, sight unseen until I get home.
Agreed but we could get these categories elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.