Reload this Page >

Like to cook? Have Amazon FireTV or tablet? Food Network Kitchen for free

Old Apr 27, 20, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

As Nation Seeks Comfort At Home, Amazon Offers FireTV, Tablet Customers Free Year Of Discovery’s Food Network Kitchen

https://deadline.com/2020/04/amazon-...et-1202918366/Excerpt:

"Discovery and Amazon are offering Amazon Fire TV and Fire Tablet customers a free one-year subscription to Food Network Kitchen – as food has become a diversion, a priority and an obsession to many Americans sheltering-at-home.

The offer expands last year’s agreement between Amazon devices (with hands-free access to Alexa) and Food Network Kitchen, the unique DTC offering launched last October with live and on-demand cooking classes, streaming episodes of Food Network shows a massive catalog of recipes and in-home delivery of ingredients. The freebie is compliments of Amazon, Discovery said.

Coinciding with the offer, Food Network Kitchen and Amazon are launching a weekend initiative May 2-3 called We Cook Together “to help those seeking inspiration and assistance in the kitchen.” It’s bringing back live classes for two days from the home kitchens of Valerie Bertinelli, Scott Conant, Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli, Marc Murphy, Michael Symon and Jet Tila – each class with a live Q&A.

Faricy also said that, separate from Amazon, Discovery will offer health care providers and first responders free subscriptions to Food Network Kitchen and allow its followers to nominate people who are eligible."
Old Apr 27, 20, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Thanks for the heads up Sharon it would appear that this is geolocked as I can't get it on my fire tablet via the Amazon app store here in the UK. It's not on the Play store either when I looked on there a couple of minutes ago. That's actually the first time I've ever opened the Amazon Appstore as I sideloaded the Play Store as the first thing I did after getting the tablet.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 27, 20 at 7:14 pm
Old Apr 28, 20, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Maybe it starts May 2-3? I haven't tried getting it yet. The irony is I'm not much of a cook, but I love to watch cooking shows. I wouldn't pay for this since I'm not great at cooking, but for a year for free definitely.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 20, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this different from the Food Network or Cooking channel on regular TV?
Old Apr 29, 20, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky View Post
Is this different from the Food Network or Cooking channel on regular TV?
Seems to be a tad different.

"Cooking classes you can take anytime, anywhere
Step-by-step tutorials for every level
LIVE classes with Food Network stars
Q&A with culinary experts
Commercial-free episodes of Food Network shows
Save and organize recipes in one place
Browse over 80,000 recipes for every taste"

Normal annual subscription is $39.99 after a 60-day free trial.

When I got home from work last night & turned on my TV to stream HGTV to unwind before going to bed, on the home page of the Fire Stick it had the year message "Activate your complimentary 1-year subscription to Food Network Kitchen courtesy of Amazon". I didn't do it last night because I was too tired, but doing so as I type this.

@Jimmie76, you may want to check to see if it's available for you now.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 20, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Just loaded it to my FireStick. Haven't loaded it to my tablet yet. Looks like some great stuff on there. The best part (for me) is free streaming. Just have to note on my calendar to cancel it by 4/29/21.

Wonder if we should start a thread where FTers can post freebie trials/subscriptions of various streaming services. I know different ones (not food-related) are scattered in different threads.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 20, 11:05 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
We activated our subscription yesterday, and there seems to be a lot of variation in the quality of the content. We watched part of an episode of a show that is focused on Instant Pots, And the two recipes they cooked looked bland and boring. Seriously, who needs a cooking show to teach them how to make a chicken breast seasoned with salt and pepper over quinoa? Or salmon, seasoned with salt and pepper, over red potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper?
​​​​
Old Apr 29, 20, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
It looks like it's geolocked as I can't find it in the UK.
Old Apr 29, 20, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
We activated our subscription yesterday, and there seems to be a lot of variation in the quality of the content. We watched part of an episode of a show that is focused on Instant Pots, And the two recipes they cooked looked bland and boring. Seriously, who needs a cooking show to teach them how to make a chicken breast seasoned with salt and pepper over quinoa? Or salmon, seasoned with salt and pepper, over red potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper?
​​​​
I was watching some that weren't as bland. Quite liked them - and got very hungry. Now, whether I'll be able to cook them is another thing. Content will also change. One of the things I liked about it is besides the fancy dishes, there are some that are geared towards people who aren't gourmet cooks. With a gazillion cooking shows/episodes & 80,000 recipes there will be something for everyone. It's a year long subscription - and it's free. Given that, I'm not going to complain too much.

I'm also looking forward to this weekend: "Food Network Kitchen and Amazon are launching a weekend initiative May 2-3 called We Cook Together “to help those seeking inspiration and assistance in the kitchen.” It’s bringing back live classes for two days from the home kitchens of Valerie Bertinelli, Scott Conant, Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, Amanda Freitag, Alex Guarnaschelli, Marc Murphy, Michael Symon and Jet Tila – each class with a live Q&A."

However, before then my AcornTV trial will end so next couple of days will focus on AcornTV & finishing some of the TV series I was watching.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 20, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
It looks like it's geolocked as I can't find it in the UK.
Sorry to hear that! When you get back to London & your FireStick, do you have a VPN you could use?

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 20, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
We did watch an episode with Alton Brown, so it's not all bad, just uneven quality!

The live shows are intriguing, but none were on when we tuned in.
Old Apr 29, 20, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
We did watch an episode with Alton Brown, so it's not all bad, just uneven quality!

The live shows are intriguing, but none were on when we tuned in.
I love Alton Brown!

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 20, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Sorry to hear that! When you get back to London & your FireStick, do you have a VPN you could use?

Cheers.
I'll have to have a look and see what works. At the moment though going back to London is a pipe dream.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: