Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Water roux for chocolate chip banana bread tastes just as great as the replacement of 1/4 cup of sugar.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
I love the brioche slider buns from Safeway. The whole brioche bun thing is lovely.
I celebrated getting a pound of yeast some days ago by immediately putting together this very simple recipe (which I’ve used many times before as my daughter loves them)
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bread-rolls

My husband happened to see/smell the finished rolls on his way out to the shops and decided to buy beef burgers and use them as burger buns. Genius idea - they were sensational!
Sure, they didn’t have the heft and integrity of a brioche type bread made with a water roux, but they did manage to stay intact with all the burger fillings wedged inside. They made already good beef burgers into great hamburgers. I highly recommend this recipe as the low effort to high return ratio is impressive and it is relatively fast from start to finish.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My Monday attempt at fries was so bad because I didn’t read the comments in time and of course the Russet potatoes got burnt. I never ended up doing the sweet potato. The cheeseburgers were fine and the added condiments were bonus. Sadly my family still wants carry out from a burger place for the fries and milkshakes, so that’ll be a $75-ish supper just to get the fries. Sigh. I love the brioche slider buns from Safeway. The whole brioche bun thing is lovely.
What burger place are you going to and how many people are you feeding for $75? Mr. Kipper and I can go out to dinner at burger places and get burgers, fries, and beers and only spend $40 plus tip, if that.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LapLap
I celebrated getting a pound of yeast some days ago by immediately putting together this very simple recipe (which I’ve used many times before as my daughter loves them)
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bread-rolls

My husband happened to see/smell the finished rolls on his way out to the shops and decided to buy beef burgers and use them as burger buns. Genius idea - they were sensational!
Sure, they didn’t have the heft and integrity of a brioche type bread made with a water roux, but they did manage to stay intact with all the burger fillings wedged inside. They made already good beef burgers into great hamburgers. I highly recommend this recipe as the low effort to high return ratio is impressive and it is relatively fast from start to finish.
Wow. He must really be a meat lover!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Do you grill yours on direct or indirect heat?
Start on direct to crisp the skins, they should be darker than a golden brown. Then move them off the direct heat. Or just a lower heat if using a gas grill.

Originally Posted by bensyd
25 minutes on direct heat would ensure a nice char!

When I do wings I put the charcoal baskets in the centre of the kettle and lay the wings in a circle around it. Works a treat.
Are they still crispy? I start on direct high heat to get them crispy, nearly the same as a fryer. As I've said though, most of my "recipes" are just trial and error, so I may not have the best method.

lol...having some mild reactions to yeast, that's my kind of burger!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops! You caught that error. ☺️

Mind you, meat as sandwich wrap was pretty commonplace up until a few weeks ago when I was still on a low carb diet. But it was me doing that, not him.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:41 am

I was thinking burger on bottom, toppings, cheese, etc., then burger on top.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Cooking from scratch is becoming more frequent as the isolation continues. Where we'd once have a curry from a jar now it's mixing and grinding the spices and using the best available ingredients. There is no comparison. There have been the occasional miscues however. A Thai soup ended up being right at the limit of my heat tolerance and well beyond my wife's.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Cooking from scratch is becoming more frequent as the isolation continues. Where we'd once have a curry from a jar now it's mixing and grinding the spices and using the best available ingredients. There is no comparison. There have been the occasional miscues however. A Thai soup ended up being right at the limit of my heat tolerance and well beyond my wife's.
I've learned that one can usually add heat at the end of the recipe if it isn't hot enough but it is more challenging to mellow it.
JBord likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Homemade Bagels

Or maybe a half dozen bagels and a couple croissants.

SanDiego1K, obscure2k and boxo like this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My Monday attempt at fries was so bad because I didn’t read the comments in time and of course the Russet potatoes got burnt. I never ended up doing the sweet potato. The cheeseburgers were fine and the added condiments were bonus. Sadly my family still wants carry out from a burger place for the fries and milkshakes, so that’ll be a $75-ish supper just to get the fries. Sigh. I love the brioche slider buns from Safeway. The whole brioche bun thing is lovely.
Where are you getting burgers and fries...The French Laundry?

Originally Posted by kipper
What burger place are you going to and how many people are you feeding for $75? Mr. Kipper and I can go out to dinner at burger places and get burgers, fries, and beers and only spend $40 plus tip, if that.
This!!
I was going to say that even $40 was high but then I saw that you included beer.
He is feeding 2 adults and one kid...I would say $45 at the most for all 3 of them unless they are getting burgers from a white tablecloth fancy wagyu beef burgers. What's wrong with Red Robin or Five Guys or something similar?
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: Free agent
2 burgers, a kid's burger, 3 fries, and 3 shakes from my local gourmet burger place (in Brooklyn) would end up at ~50 before tax and tip.

Even Shack Shack carry out would be $48 before tax and tip (Double shackburger, double cheeseburger, single cheeseburger, 3 fries, 3 shakes)

Edit:

Just priced the Five Guys down the block, $49 for 2 cheeseburgers, 1 little cheese burger, 1 large fry, 3 milkshakes
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corky

I was going to say that even $40 was high but then I saw that you included beer.
He is feeding 2 adults and one kid...I would say $45 at the most for all 3 of them unless they are getting burgers from a white tablecloth fancy wagyu beef burgers. What's wrong with Red Robin or Five Guys or something similar?
To be fair, before this I rarely did takeout or delivery, and I've been a little shocked by the prices, which I expected to be lower. Delivery charges, "service fees", tips, and what I suspect in some cases are increased menu prices are adding up. It probably depends on where you live as well. Here in Chicago, I could see a takeout burger meal for 4 people from a non-chain restaurant ending up in the range of $50-60 pretty easily, or even higher.

Five Guys down the street from me sells a cheeseburger for $9.05 and regular fries for $4.99. A bottle of Coke is $2.79. Total = 16.83 + tax = about $18.50. Multiply that by 3 people and you're over $55.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by corky

This!!
We usually go to Red Robin, and while their beer is expensive, their soft drinks are as well.
Originally Posted by JBord
To be fair, before this I rarely did takeout or delivery, and I've been a little shocked by the prices, which I expected to be lower. Delivery charges, "service fees", tips, and what I suspect in some cases are increased menu prices are adding up. It probably depends on where you live as well. Here in Chicago, I could see a takeout burger meal for 4 people from a non-chain restaurant ending up in the range of $50-60 pretty easily, or even higher.

Five Guys down the street from me sells a cheeseburger for $9.05 and regular fries for $4.99. A bottle of Coke is $2.79. Total = 16.83 + tax = about $18.50. Multiply that by 3 people and you're over $55.
Except at Five Guys, an order of large fries is enough for 2-3 people.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by kipper
it’s San Francisco - $15 for a regular burger; $7 for milkshake (probably $9 for a beer??); $5-9 for fries depending on steak fries or truffle fries. 9%-ish for tax and then 20% tip. It just adds up. I’d rather just pay $12/lb for organic ground and another $1 worth of cheese and the $0.50/slider bun. But no real fries and we could make milkshakes but our child just enjoys his Haagen daaz for dessert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.