Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Ive never found a use for it. I tossed out an old jar last year. I tried it with eggs and fish and thought it ruined both. What do you do with it?
I put paprika in my chilli.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by gaobest
is it at all possible for home cooks to make good southern bbq? Will liquid smoke and some sort of sauce do the trick??

i never even heard of liquid smoke until March. I’ve used it once for beef ribs (oven-cooked at 250 for 4-5 hours) and they were definitely smoky and good. It could be that the ribs were also high quality good.
I know that pork ribs and pork is super tasty but I try hard to not have any pork in the house except for salami and occasional Italian sausage for myself. So no ribs or bacon here.
While one can make good southern BBQ at home, liquid smoke is not the answer. That said, while I love good BBQ (and there are numerous different southern options), it just isn't the same at home. I can make a mean pulled pork, which is one of my staples for department pot lucks, but it just isn't the same.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ive never found a use for it. I tossed out an old jar last year. I tried it with eggs and fish and thought it ruined both. What do you do with it?
I’m still blown away at the idea of smoked paprika and paprika being two different spices.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I put paprika in my chilli.
I think he meant smoked paprika and not paprika. Of course, this is assuming that smoked paprika is different from paprika. I’m learning so much with cooking that I just never thought about before Covid.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I think he meant smoked paprika and not paprika. Of course, this is assuming that smoked paprika is different from paprika. I’m learning so much with cooking that I just never thought about before Covid.
They are different. There are many different types of paprika. We have sweet paprika and a type of Hungarian paprika in our house.

https://www.pepperscale.com/smoked-paprika-vs-paprika/
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use it in so many things...anything that gets marinated so most fish, chicken, meats. I have used it in salad dressing, chili, meat loaf, on potatoes, anything Mexican. You may have been using too much and got a bitterness...especially on the eggs which are kind of bland to begin with--deviled eggs are good with it though. On fish I would use a light sprinkle.

I’m still blown away at the idea of smoked paprika and paprika being two different spices.
Technically they are both made from ground peppers but smoked is made from peppers that are smoked before grinding.
This is my favorite source for spices...awesome company. Unfortunately their stores are closed right now but still doing mail order. If you ever get a chance to go into one of their stores, it is quite an adventure. Also Trader Joe has smoked paprika.
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...24/p-1159/pd-s
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
They are different. There are many different types of paprika. We have sweet paprika and a type of Hungarian paprika in our house.

https://www.pepperscale.com/smoked-paprika-vs-paprika/
so fun! I first read about paprika in one of Beverly Clearly’s Beezus & Ramona books when the sisters cooked supper for the family.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
When things are more normalized, you may consider visiting a high quality spice shop. You'll pay a pretty penny but on all that you're saving from not eating out, you'll find it well worth the while. Even if you go in "without a clue," the staff will guide you on your way. The Oaktown Spice Shop (Oakland and Albany) is my first choice in these parts. You can purchase in small fractions that they bag, so you can sample things without a large commitment.

Also, if you do not watch Lidia on PBS, you might consider watching her show. Of all the cooking shows out there, you'll find some easy, practical and delicious tips that, even if you don't make the recipe completely, you'll get some good ideas.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love your ideas and I only watch poker on my iPad while cooking and doing household tasks (“chores”); I’m always missing out on way too much. I did shop at SF’s “Spice Hound” kiosk a few years ago; now I’m happy to just buy random organic spices by the small jar at any shop from a supermarket to a “boutique” cornershop.

I made more chocolate chip banana bread on Friday and it’s still delicious. I really hope that everyone who likes this product tries to make it with that recipe I posted because if I can do it, then everyone else can also do it!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
When things are more normalized, you may consider visiting a high quality spice shop. You'll pay a pretty penny but on all that you're saving from not eating out, you'll find it well worth the while. Even if you go in "without a clue," the staff will guide you on your way. The Oaktown Spice Shop (Oakland and Albany) is my first choice in these parts. You can purchase in small fractions that they bag, so you can sample things without a large commitment.

Also, if you do not watch Lidia on PBS, you might consider watching her show. Of all the cooking shows out there, you'll find some easy, practical and delicious tips that, even if you don't make the recipe completely, you'll get some good ideas.
Lidia's shows have gotten better over the last ten years, but I am more of a fan of Mary Ann Esposito and "Ciao Italia" for my Italian meals.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by corky
I use it in so many things...anything that gets marinated so most fish, chicken, meats. I have used it in salad dressing, chili, meat loaf, on potatoes, anything Mexican. You may have been using too much and got a bitterness...especially on the eggs which are kind of bland to begin with--deviled eggs are good with it though. On fish I would use a light sprinkle.

Technically they are both made from ground peppers but smoked is made from peppers that are smoked before grinding.
This is my favorite source for spices...awesome company. Unfortunately their stores are closed right now but still doing mail order. If you ever get a chance to go into one of their stores, it is quite an adventure. Also Trader Joe has smoked paprika.
https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...24/p-1159/pd-s
I love Penzey’s and use the smoked paprika along with their Chicago Steak seasoning (with hickory smoke flavor) on everything: asparagus on the grill, popcorn on the stove (I put dashes in with the oil), salad, salmon, pork chops, portobello mushrooms. Everything.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have a deep fryer for making french fries? I can’t believe that there are several online for $50-150 range. Any suggestions?
i can grill cheeseburgers nicely and French fries would be so great with them :-)
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Does anyone have a deep fryer for making french fries? I can’t believe that there are several online for $50-150 range. Any suggestions?
i can grill cheeseburgers nicely and French fries would be so great with them :-)
Once upon a time I had a Fry Baby. But it seemed to collect dust. I don’t miss it. On the rare occasions I want to deep fry, I just use a pan.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once upon a time I had a Fry Baby. But it seemed to collect dust. I don’t miss it. On the rare occasions I want to deep fry, I just use a pan.
This
You do not need a deep fryer....use a dutch oven and a fry thermometer. gaobest, I don't know how often you want to make fries but it is a lot of work and is messy and then you are dealing with all of that leftover oil. The best fries are fried twice...first at a lower temp and then a second fry to crisp up. Plus. you should use a mandolin to cut the potatoes. Unless there is a big demand for authentic fries in your house I would stick to frozen french fries done in the oven. Or you can just make thicker and not as crispy oven fries with fresh potatoes.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
This afternoon, teen son baked Bittman's no knead bread (mixed last night) and is marinating a rack of lamb (olive oil, balsamic glaze, fresh rosemary from the garden, garlic, lemon juice, a few more spices. We're going to have a little party on the deck while we grill the lamb and some asparagus and enjoy some music and the view of our newly opened pool. Trying to keep it lively for the family. The three kids are appreciating the "events". And I dug out a very old and ready bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.