Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
My cooking is pretty static. I have just pushed buttons on the microwave.

My wife has been cooking some fantastic stuff, the last few weeks. Yesterday, lovely rendang with paratha. On Monday, had some nice spring rolls and bitterballen. Last week local beef with mashed potatoes, pan fried in a large flour tortilla. These are in addition to some nice chicken and beef stir frys with good veggies.

I think we need to fire up the bbq soon. I feel like some roasted corn on the cob, and BBQ chicken.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
We do once a month cooking where we freeze a bunch of meals for cooking later, because it helps us plan a menu and eliminates the question of what we are having for dinner.

I'm not a huge fan of leftovers, although I'll use them as lunches when I'm working in the office. Since I've been working from home, I usually skip either breakfast or lunch. We ordered sandwiches for take-out last night, and added enough for lunch for today, so I skipped breakfast.

Speaking of all of this, I need to pull out our dinner for tonight.
I bought a 19# brisket today because it was there.
Since I came "retired" and came back home to take care of my parents, they've wanted a smoker since they knew I had one when I lived in California from 05-18. I think they buy one since they love ribs and pulled pork. I saw the ATK Cook's Country brisket on a Weber grill episode last night so that had to be the reason why. I now need a charcoal grill in this house or a smoker.
🙂
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I'm definitely cooking more and trying new things but not necessarily getting better. With less frequent grocery trips, especially the kind where I would pick up extra ingredients after work, I've had to be more creative and try substitutions or making new dishes out of the combination of fresh ingredients on hand. One day last week I was feeling uninspired and heated up canned soup. So blah! Back to homemade chicken stock. I have not eaten out or gotten any takeout in almost 6 weeks which is a record for me.

For the last few weeks I've been attempting sourdough starter. Initially it was going well then seems to have died back so starting over again. My usual baking of muffins, cookies, banana bread and madeleines does not require any yeast. I did find some active yeast on the last shopping trip so I'll be adding quick breads to the repertoire.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by csufabel
I bought a 19# brisket today because it was there.
Since I came "retired" and came back home to take care of my parents, they've wanted a smoker since they knew I had one when I lived in California from 05-18. I think they buy one since they love ribs and pulled pork. I saw the ATK Cook's Country brisket on a Weber grill episode last night so that had to be the reason why. I now need a charcoal grill in this house or a smoker.
🙂
Care to send some of that brisket to me???
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where you at?
If it is good to very good you'll get some, but I screw it up, you gettin' half.

Here's my downside. I made polenta as a side for my folks and did the cu[cake tin portion thing for them. Made it on Tuesday and they have still eaten my lasagna from Friday. Granted I made it in a turkey pan so it is larger than a recommended 13x9, but still, they have palates like they are 9.
I bought 15# of chicken fingers/tenderloins in he last sixi weeks too since Saturday is our "Fry DAY"

I did get yeast a few weeks ago at the lower income Walmart superstore. They had all baking items as did the Aldi across the street.

Tampa has stores which sell the wholesale items which were in stock. might get a vacuum pack of short ribs tomorrow for $35, bu if the package needs a bonesaw, I'm out.

Last edited by csufabel; Apr 23, 2020 at 3:53 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by csufabel
Where you at?
If it is good to very good you'll get some, but I screw it up, you gettin' half.

Here's my downside. I made polenta as a side for my folks and did the cu[cake tin portion thing for them. Made it on Tuesday and they have still eaten my lasagna from Friday. Granted I made it in a turkey pan so it is larger than a recommended 13x9, but still, they have palates like they are 9.
I bought 15# of chicken fingers/tenderloins in he last sixi weeks too since Saturday is our "Fry DAY"

I did get yeast a few weeks ago at the lower income Walmart superstore. They had all baking items as did the Aldi across the street.

Tampa has stores which sell the wholesale items which were in stock. might get a vacuum pack of short ribs tomorrow for $35, bu if the package needs a bonesaw, I'm out.
i'm in PA, so good brisket is not something you can find here. Passable brisket, maybe, on occasion. I think once people cross the Mason-Dixon Line, they forget how to cook real BBQ. There are people up here who call chipped ham, mixed with ketchup, ham BBQ.

Years ago, Mr. Kipper and I found an amazing little BBQ place in NC. The directions included turning off of the paved road. A year or so later, Mr. Kipper was headed back through the area, and was hoping to spend the night near there, so he could pick up BBQ and bring it home the next day. His traveling partner insisted on staying about 2 hours north of the BBQ place, so Mr. Kipper dropped him at the hotel, then drove the 2 hours back to pick up BBQ. I called in the order, and when the employee explained that they were on winter hours and he would be arriving about 30 minutes after they closed, I apologized, but explained that he was smuggling it across the Mason-Dixon Line because Yankees didn't know how to BBQ. She explained that she would be there, so he could still pick up the order. When he arrived the next day, I picked him up, and he pointed out the cooler with the BBQ. He walked away from the car to go back into the building for a minute and walked out to find me eating the cold BBQ, straight from the container.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
Originally Posted by JBord

First, your post made me laugh as it felt like I was looking in the mirror.
But more importantly, you drink bourbon in your Old Fashioned??? If you live in Wisconsin, there's really only one choice -- do you want your BRANDY Old Fashioned sweet or sour?

And for those who think it's crazy...I love good whiskeys and bourbons and drink both regularly. But just try a brandy old fashioned (I prefer sweet, but depends on my mood), especially at the bar in a Wisconsin supper club, and tell me you don't love it.
Ha... Yes... there is Korbel in the house. My wife is the Brandy Sweet woman. I am the Bourbon Sour guy. I have had plenty of both. When I am at the local Supper Clubs and even the better "fake" ones - Think The Old Fashioned on the Square in Madison - I go "local." I'll drink it sweet if that's what the fine folks desire. I try not to make it too complex. But then there are local bars where the Brandy vs. Bourbon debate rages!

Please stay safe... I hope to see everyone on an airplane soon. I'm climbing the walls!!!!!!

Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Fragola
... I have not eaten out or gotten any takeout in almost 6 weeks which is a record for me...
Semi-ditto - sometimes my spouse will get something on a whim but our last meal out was 3/19.
usually in the past I would have had at least a carry out solo meal every 6 meals. Definitely something at a restaurant or delivery or carry out daily on a weekend.

I still feel like I won’t return to any restaurant - I’m happy to prep / cook / clean for every meal. I insist on washing the cookware instead of dishwashing it, and I could probably handle hand-washing everything if needed.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it at all possible for home cooks to make good southern bbq? Will liquid smoke and some sort of sauce do the trick??

i never even heard of liquid smoke until March. I’ve used it once for beef ribs (oven-cooked at 250 for 4-5 hours) and they were definitely smoky and good. It could be that the ribs were also high quality good.
I know that pork ribs and pork is super tasty but I try hard to not have any pork in the house except for salami and occasional Italian sausage for myself. So no ribs or bacon here.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by gaobest
i never even heard of liquid smoke until March.
I keep a bottle on hand and use it as a quick cheat, most oftenly used when I make split pea soup.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ooh I didn’t know. What about if it’s brown or white sugar? Cane or powder? I’m still learning about all of this.
Brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses added.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it at all possible for home cooks to make good southern bbq? Will liquid smoke and some sort of sauce do the trick??

i never even heard of liquid smoke until March. I’ve used it once for beef ribs (oven-cooked at 250 for 4-5 hours) and they were definitely smoky and good. It could be that the ribs were also high quality good.
I know that pork ribs and pork is super tasty but I try hard to not have any pork in the house except for salami and occasional Italian sausage for myself. So no ribs or bacon here.
I like liquid smoke but it is nasty unless used very sparingly. Actually my favorite way to get smokiness is smoked paprika...probably one of my most used spices.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
I like liquid smoke but it is nasty unless used very sparingly. Actually my favorite way to get smokiness is smoked paprika...probably one of my most used spices.
wow, I’ve only seen paprika! Smoked paprika sounds lovely :-)
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve never had the fluffy Japanese pancakes and found one basic recipe that includes pancake mix. Now I’m googling pancake batter recipes which call for flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt for the mix. Only one recipe (kitchn) suggests waiting 10 minutes after mixing all ingredients to allow for the baking powder to kick in - does that 10 minutes make an impact? I have the time and am intrigued that the other recipes include baking powder but don’t mention any delay.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by corky
Ive never found a use for it. I tossed out an old jar last year. I tried it with eggs and fish and thought it ruined both. What do you do with it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.