Reload this Page >

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 7:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
Turkey tacos for supper - I made pico de Gallo for the first time as opposed to buying it at the shop. Maybe one day I’ll make guacamole as well. I love this meal so much - I love the plating.

Yum! I like seeing all the variety. And building tacos is fun. My pickled onions would be good in that line up. 😁
corky likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yum! I like seeing all the variety. And building tacos is fun. My pickled onions would be good in that line up. 😁
Thanks - it’s definitely a fun evening. Pickled onion is a great idea; I sauteed some onions and scallions because i used to order grilled scallions at restaurants. Also had chopped raw onion and scallions.
corky and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Turkey tacos for supper - I made pico de Gallo for the first time as opposed to buying it at the shop. Maybe one day I’ll make guacamole as well. I love this meal so much - I love the plating.

Taco night was always fun night at our house. Homemade guacamole is pretty simple. Baked potato was another fun night. Anytime everyone gets to custom design their own dinner is a success. That layout looks delicious.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Taco night was always fun night at our house. Homemade guacamole is pretty simple. Baked potato was another fun night. Anytime everyone gets to custom design their own dinner is a success. That layout looks delicious.
thank you! I have made guacamole before and should do it again. Sometimes it feels that store-bought is cheaper than buying only 2 avocados and 1-2 tomatoes although I think 2 avocados and 1 lime would be enough.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
thank you! I have made guacamole before and should do it again. Sometimes it feels that store-bought is cheaper than buying only 2 avocados and 1-2 tomatoes although I think 2 avocados and 1 lime would be enough.
In my opinion, the minimum requirements for guacamole are avocado, onion, lime. After that, add whatever you want. Occasionally, I'll see avocados 10 for $10 in the grocery store -- although admittedly haven't looked in a month or two. But that's the best time for guac .

Personally, I won't make it without adding diced jalapenos. Anything after that just depends on my mood.

Last edited by JBord; Jun 3, 2020 at 7:14 am Reason: typo said 10 for $1. updated to $10
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
In my opinion, the minimum requirements for guacamole are avocado, onion, lime. After that, add whatever you want. Occasionally, I'll see avocados 10 for $1 in the grocery store -- although admittedly haven't looked in a month or two. But that's the best time for guac .

Personally, I won't make it without adding diced jalapenos. Anything after that just depends on my mood.
I like adding sundried tomato to my guacamole. Cumin, chili powder. When I don’t have jalapeños, I add a little chipotle seasoning.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
In my opinion, the minimum requirements for guacamole are avocado, onion, lime. After that, add whatever you want. Occasionally, I'll see avocados 10 for $1 in the grocery store -- although admittedly haven't looked in a month or two. But that's the best time for guac .

I haven’t seen Avocados for 10 cents each in, well, a lonnnnnng time. 10 for $10, sure. Maybe small ones for 50 cents each.
corky likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article...r-15311918.php

Good thing this guy hasn't provided his recipes to the thread.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TEN avocados for $1???? I have never seen that. I am thrilled to find 2 for $1 when they are sometimes on sale.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
TEN avocados for $1???? I have never seen that. I am thrilled to find 2 for $1 when they are sometimes on sale.
i paid $2.49 for one yesterday. Safeway’s current offer is $1.67.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I haven’t seen Avocados for 10 cents each in, well, a lonnnnnng time. 10 for $10, sure. Maybe small ones for 50 cents each.
i’m looking in the wrong places.

In my opinion, the minimum requirements for guacamole are avocado, onion, lime. After that, add whatever you want. Occasionally, I'll see avocados 10 for $1 in the grocery store -- although admittedly haven't looked in a month or two. But that's the best time for guac ...
Where can you get them that low? Carnicerias? Wow.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
LOL...my typo made a big splash here. I meant to type 10 for $10. That's what they advertise in the local Jewel store sometimes. Correcting my original post.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL...my typo made a big splash here. I meant to type 10 for $10. That's what they advertise in the local Jewel store sometimes. Correcting my original post.
lol I can imagine that somewhere in USA has them that cheap but...
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
There are 2 different avocados for sale here in South Florida. Hass which are smaller and the Bigger Green Avocados which to me have more meat in them. You can find the Hass at the lower price like 10 for $10.00, but the bigger ones are usually around $2.50 to $3.00/ each unless you are like me and have my own tree which then cost nothing during season which is usually late June to early August.

Walking the neighborhood with my dog in the last 2 weeks have seen many tress that have dropped a lot prematurely due to the heavy rainstorms that eventually become Tropical Storms Arthur and Bertha. Also, I found a neighbor who planted a Hass tree a few years ago and is producing its first crop this year. I have been talking to these owners like I did with the Mango tree owners about purchasing some of their crop when they start to drop. I get angry with many people who think it's ok to come onto my property and pick the mangos and other fruits off my trees without asking first. I had a huge crop of Mangos on my large tree going this year and came home to find most of my crop gone from the lower branches one day (close to 50 mangos). The only ones left are so high up that the squirrels, iguanas and birds get to them before they fall or when they fall they break open due to the height.

To me it's ok if they fall on public land like the sidewalks, swales, and alleys to claim them, but not to walk into private yards and pick them up or pick them off the tree.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Yeah, mango stealing is not ok. I have a papaya tree at my house in Indonesia. I’d love a mango and avocado tree!
Old Jun 3, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s great about these trees and I’m sorry that there’s theft! Ugh. Higher fences perhaps? Ughh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.