Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Pizza dough... Kitchn felt that Roberta’s recipe was the best! Other contenders were Alton, Bobby flay, and Martha!

https://www.thekitchn.com/pizza-doug...views-22931885

roberta recipe:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...as-pizza-dough

Originally Posted by LapLap
I responded with the link to the cinnamon roll page as a pointer towards how to incorporate chocolate pieces into your rollppang.

The main tip was about shaping the rollppang so that you can spread and/or sprinkle on your additions before rolling it all up. I wouldn’t get too hung up on rice syrup or anything else. As @MSYtoJFKagain mentions, rice syrup is similar to corn syrup (sweet, AKA HFCS), so, yes, you could use maple syrup or honey instead. If that’s a problem, just supersaturate some sugar in hot water and let it cool down and use that as a substitute sugar syrup. The real point is that it doesn’t matter. Use what you like, use what you have - you can use a fruit jam/jelly/conserve/marmalade (whatever you call it), loosen it with a spoonful of hot water if it’s too thick or stiff to spread thinly. Melt in a little butter too if you want a luxurious taste. Or do it with a chocolate or caramel spread. Or peanut butter. Add some chocolate chips. The contents of your pantry is the limit. Just forget about the corn (or potato) starch!
Spread it all out then roll it all up. Doesn’t have to have a hint of cinnamon. The tip was about style here not substance.
thank you! I’m excited to use this technique. It sounds so fun :-)

Last edited by cblaisd; May 8, 2020 at 1:16 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts; please use multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old May 9, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I responded with the link to the cinnamon roll page as a pointer towards how to incorporate chocolate pieces into your rollppang.

The main tip was about shaping the rollppang so that you can spread and/or sprinkle on your additions before rolling it all up....
so fun - I made the regular batch and did indeed try the “cinnamon roll” technique to just add chocolate chips and butterscotch in separate rolls. just so awesome.

I went to safeway on Friday and got a korean chili sauce and korean bbq sauce. Not sure what I’ll exactly do but...
LapLap likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
I went to safeway on Friday and got a korean chili sauce and korean bbq sauce. Not sure what I’ll exactly do but...
@MSYtoJFKagain is a great person to get pointers from if you’re looking to incorporate more Korean flavours into your cooking 👍
Old May 10, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@MSYtoJFKagain is a great person to get pointers from if you’re looking to incorporate more Korean flavours into your cooking 👍
thank you - I’m fine with Maangchi as well but it’s solely for me; my family doesn’t really eat korean so my personal standards are lower and I’ve never even bought kimchi for the house. all of my korean eating has been at restaurants or some carryout. I love korean food so much. I really don’t know when I’ll use the sauces :-)

My family loves the roll-ppang so much. Once we went to the sf korean restaurant that Anthony bourdain featured on his show with Chris “impossible burger” cosentino and I think it was too much for my spouse. My first time there, I saw chris cosentino there with his own family! In theory he’ll make a ton from the impossible burger work which is ironic since his main restaurant cooking specialty is animal, but every worker deserves as much as they can get.
Old May 10, 2020, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my family doesn’t really eat korean
5 words:

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - WITH KIMCHI
Old May 10, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to improve on getting better bark. I should have trimmed it a bit more too.
The cook time also used about 1/3 less hardwood briquettes than I expected.

Old May 10, 2020, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by csufabel
I have to improve on getting better bark. I should have trimmed it a bit more too.

That looks amazing!
Old May 10, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kipper
That looks amazing!
I agree. And what he’s sliced looked surprisingly lean.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csufabel

Looks beautiful and I bet it tastes even better. As far as the bark...did you pat it dry really well? I find that meats don't brown well unless I get them pretty dry. Or do you think it was something else...did you do a rub?
Old May 10, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
Looks beautiful and I bet it tastes even better. As far as the bark...did you pat it dry really well? I find that meats don't brown well unless I get them pretty dry. Or do you think it was something else...did you do a rub?
Out of the package on Thursday night, and patted dry and left more paper towels in roasting pan. Rub on Friday night and taken out, dried and a layer of rub an hour before I started the coals. Foiled for a "Texas Crutch" after 6.5 hours at about 230-235 for most of it. About 2 Tbls of beef broth in the foil for the 2 hours of the crutch and in the cooler for the final 75 minutes.
Old May 10, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

5 words:

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - WITH KIMCHI
with roll-ppang??? :-)
Old May 10, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poached salmon - one recipe doesn’t require a special poaching pan.

what do you all think - can I poach a small piece of salmon in a regular scanpan with lid?
ive never poached. Guidance?
my spouse wants it for the upcoming birthday.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poached salmon - one recipe doesn’t require a special poaching pan.

what do you all think - can I poach a small piece of salmon in a regular scanpan with lid?
ive never poached. Guidance?
my spouse wants it for the upcoming birthday.
you don't need to buy a pan...skillet with sides and a lid will be fine . You can poach in water, broth, wine or even olive oil. Lots of recipes online. I think you just want to make sure fish is surrounded by liquid and don't let liquid boil.
Old May 10, 2020, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with roll-ppang??? :-)
Rollppang make superb burger buns, so, if your slicing skills are up to it, why not?
Old May 11, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: Free agent
so fun - I made the regular batch and did indeed try the “cinnamon roll” technique to just add chocolate chips and butterscotch in separate rolls. just so awesome.

I just typed out an entire list of ingredients and uses and my browser crashed.

Here's the shorter version

Ingredients:
Gochujang - Red pepper paste, spicy, sweet, pungent. Only buy the Korean versions. Most US versions have way too much sugar and it doesn't taste right. Never buy a squeeze bottle either.
Gochujang - Red pepper flakes, gets bitter when cooked for too long, balanced with sugar. Order this online from Korea. Makes a huge difference.
Mirin - Same as Japanese version
Kimchi - Fermented things. Not just cabbage but mostly cabbage. The longer it ages, the more sour it gets. When cooking, the older it is, the less you need because it packs a punch.
Soy sauce - I use Japanese version but you can try the Korean ones, I hear they are sweeter/thicker
Fish sauce - I buy whatever's in the store, usually Vietnamese, this and the kimchi will add the "funk" to almost every korean jjigae (stew)
Doenjang - Korean miso, compare it to a lighter red miso. Same uses. Lasts FOREVER in the fridge.
Black bean paste - Paired with fresh noodles, it's a simple and delicious dish. Be sure to cook it through because it usually has a bitter finish out of the jar.
7up, lemon lime soda - This is Korean mom secrets right here. Add this to all your glazes and chicken dishes that finish in the oven (Buldaks etc) and it will add a sheen and texture that you literally can't find with any other ingredient. Use about 1/3 more than whatever the sweetener is.
Chili sauce - Get some from the Sriracha people.

There are other ingredients but they are easy to substitute for. It's usually noted in blogs/cookbooks.

Simple Korean recipes to start with are:

Buldak - Fire chicken - The only challenge is the marinade. The cooking and finishing is easy and it's a fantastic snack for a big game or party.

Kimchi scallion pancakes - Kimchijjeon

These looks daunting but they may be the simplest recipe ever.
cup:1 cup flour to water.
Add 8oz of chopped kimchi, tsp of salt, tbsp of sugar and as much scallions as you want.
Stir until gloopy.
Put one ladle of any size (start small) into a pan with 2 tbsps of hot oil or fat.
Fry until bubbles start popping on the top. Flip, raise pancake and get oil under.
Cook until the bottom looks like the top (4-5 minutes a side)
Remove and add scallions. Serve with any sauce you want.
You can add anything you want to this. I've put leftovers of meat, vegetables, sausages in.

Here's a picture:

I'm not a Korean mom so I don't know all the secrets but I know a lot. Feel free to ask about any recipes you find. I spent the last 2-3 years learning about it.
corky and Jaimito Cartero like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.