Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Tried something I've eaten over a thousand times but never cooked myself. Grilled with a little smoked garlic seasoning. Sauce on the side at the table. Wellington SPA to accompany.

The longer this isolation business continues I may never eat in a restaurant again.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Tried something I've eaten over a thousand times but never cooked myself. Grilled with a little smoked garlic seasoning. Sauce on the side at the table. Wellington SPA to accompany.

The longer this isolation business continues I may never eat in a restaurant again.
Fried gator? Deep fried bat wings?
Old May 3, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

Indeed. I have cooked a lot for a long time but had begun to resent and dread it. Mainly bc tired after work and everyone gobbles up so fast. Hard work felt wasted. Now, though, meals are the highlight of our day and the cook is very appreciated. Has changed my mood.
Badenoch likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
isn’t it fried chicken???
Old May 5, 2020, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
I want to make blueberry muffins and more of these rolls today.
so I didn’t make the blueberry but I did make more rolls on Sunday and I repeated it today. Now we have like 12 rolls so no more rolls to make...

but now I’m wondering HOW to make the rolls with chocolate chips so that the rolls would be chocolate rolls. Is it possible? Would I add chocolate chips to the dough after it’s risen? I did see on Maangchi that someone adds sausage to them.

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!!!!
Old May 5, 2020, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel or felt the same way until last week when I caved and fetched sushi carry out from our favorite local sushi restaurant. My spouse first introduced it to me in 2004. I assumed that I’d never return to a restaurant but I really cannot cook sushi.

but overall I feel that sushi is the exception and only weekly at the most. I see the huge savings of cash for cooking semi-gourmet groceries versus restaurants and I don’t want to return to restaurants. I love Chinese food and haven’t even cooked it and I still don’t want to get carryout Chinese, which isn’t always expensive in San Francisco. I’m just not yet even bothering with it. I know that I can just buy some sauce ingredients and cook Chinese food at home.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: Free agent
I definitely can't make nigiri sushi but I've been learning to make proper sushi rice and using that for musubi and hand roll. It's not world-class but it sure tastes amazing.

Handroll

Sushi rice

Black pepper spam musubi
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain

Black pepper spam musubi
That looks so good. I'm one of the strange non-Hawaiians who loves Spam in just about any cooked form. But I'm rarely allowed to buy it . After this pic, I really want this quarantine to be over so I can go back to Hawaii.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by JBord
That looks so good. I'm one of the strange non-Hawaiians who loves Spam in just about any cooked form. But I'm rarely allowed to buy it . After this pic, I really want this quarantine to be over so I can go back to Hawaii.
I bought a 12 pack "just to be safe" right when things started. I also finally bought a musubi press and that's 8 bucks well spent.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
In Jakarta, I have eaten bat a couple of times. Beautika serves Manadonese food; the dish is called "paniki".
Old May 5, 2020, 2:59 pm
Suspended

isn’t it fried chicken???
Grilled chicken wings.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grilled chicken wings.
yum - super fun. Thought they were stove fried :-)
Old May 6, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
You did.

That looks like one glorious piece of meat!
I have to trim the brisket on Thursday to smoke on Friday or Saturday. I'm not sure if I'll go long smoke or "Hot and Fast".
Originally Posted by kipper
Wow, that is a good price for the chicken.
I did get a 16-piece bag for $3.99 this week. It is a 5.5-6# of bird. They come in cardboard boxes from Tyson and I judged which I wanted to buy.

Grilled chicken wings.
Yea, they look grilled, but did you either start to cook them on indirect heat or even smoke them on the top of a gas grill for 25 minutes if you are using gas? They don't look brown/charred enough for either. Not that they were undercooked, but what was the marinade or rub used?

QUICK EDIT: Regardless of how the brisket turns out on Saturday, on Sunday I have to do grill lamb again since Mom (aka Weezie) loves lamb and I have a roast from ALDI for her

Last edited by csufabel; May 6, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Old May 7, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so I didn’t make the blueberry but I did make more rolls on Sunday and I repeated it today. Now we have like 12 rolls so no more rolls to make...

but now I’m wondering HOW to make the rolls with chocolate chips so that the rolls would be chocolate rolls. Is it possible? Would I add chocolate chips to the dough after it’s risen? I did see on Maangchi that someone adds sausage to them.

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!!!!
😁😁😁
Am really happy these worked out for you. This is how Maangchi recommends you take these to the next level:
https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/cinnamon-rolls

Obviously, no need to use the syrup, cinnamon, dried fruit/nuts if you prefer toffee spread and chocolate pieces. Almost anything should work.
I still have jars of Christmas mince“meat” that were being given away for pennies in the shops this January. I add extra cinnamon and raisins and slather that on before rolling up the dough.

As yeast is still difficult to get hold of and the weather is getting warmer for many of us, I’d recommend shaving away just a little of the recommended yeast quantity from these milk rolls. Figure out, bit by bit, how much you actually need. It is also possible to make hybrid rolls combining some sourdough starter and less of the dried yeast to help eke out a diminishing supply. This doesn’t apply to gaobest this decade.
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by csufabel
Yea, they look grilled, but did you either start to cook them on indirect heat or even smoke them on the top of a gas grill for 25 minutes if you are using gas? They don't look brown/charred enough for either. Not that they were undercooked, but what was the marinade or rub used?
Rub was a smoked dried garlic. This is the result of 30 minutes, medium heat on a gas grill with lid open. After this picture was taken the wings were tossed in a medium spicy sauce and briefly tossed back on the grill to caramelize it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.