Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is your cooking improving in isolation?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
I’ve never been to Grocery Outlet - how is their meat?
Generally fine, but can be inconsistent. It is inherent in their business model that wholesale suppliers can and will change regularly.

I didn't shop there regularly pre-Covid, instead my wife and I considered a visit akin to a fun treasure hunt. Have good friends who semi-regularly shopping at Grocery Outlet but the couple nicknamed it "The Used Food Store", because sometimes they will come across some bargain that is so inexpensive, that the food must be "Used".
Old May 1, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those are good prices. I’m impressed.
I’ve never been to Grocery Outlet - how is their meat?
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Generally fine, but can be inconsistent. It is inherent in their business model that wholesale suppliers can and will change regularly.

I didn't shop there regularly pre-Covid, instead my wife and I considered a visit akin to a fun treasure hunt. Have good friends who semi-regularly shopping at Grocery Outlet but the couple nicknamed it "The Used Food Store", because sometimes they will come across some bargain that is so inexpensive, that the food must be "Used".
@gaobest, I lived in Contra Costa County from 2006-18. Grocery Outlet is fantastic for canned, frozen, and shelf stable goods plus wines. The circulars are out every Wednesday as a whole, but you can also get on an email list owards the stores closest to you. Plus, stores are independently own and operated. Most really don't have a fresh meat section worth a damn
Old May 2, 2020, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by csufabel
Well. I got two of these today and a larger choice brisket last week. I know in the freezer I have a vacuum sealed tri-tip, pork but, and pork spare ribs and baby backs.
I just had to but the briskets...and I need to buy a rib loin tomorrow for $50 too to cut it up for strip streaks.

$hit, they are selling two, cut-up chickens (aka 16 pieces) for $5,

While leaving for college over 25 years ago, I think I'm actually glad I returned to Tampa...for meat prices.

Then again, my Mom has been here for 40 years, with navigation, still gets lost here and doesn't know the area.
Wow, that is a good price for the chicken.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by kipper
Wow, that is a good price for the chicken.
ikr - I paid more for a pack of 4 organic chicken thighs.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csufabel
@gaobest, I lived in Contra Costa County from 2006-18. Grocery Outlet is fantastic for canned, frozen, and shelf stable goods plus wines. The circulars are out every Wednesday as a whole, but you can also get on an email list owards the stores closest to you. Plus, stores are independently own and operated. Most really don't have a fresh meat section worth a damn
maybe it’s worth googling although I don’t know if I would realistically want to spend much time inside of one right now; at least at other specific stores I’m shopping based on a list and my muscle memory of where the categories are inside of the store.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should have mentioned that I went to the grocery outlet in sf in the 90s before that space became the sf Best Buy.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I just made scones. They're not the best shape as I don't have a gizmo that does that but, they're light and should be fluffy. Once theyve cooked down sufficiently, I think my wife and daughter will go to town on them.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I just made scones. They're not the best shape as I don't have a gizmo that does that but, they're light and should be fluffy. Once theyve cooked down sufficiently, I think my wife and daughter will go to town on them.
I’m planning on making crumpets next week. We don’t have any cookie cutters at this house so I found a device that holds the round shape four at a time on Amazon. Now I just have to settle on which recipe. I’m leaning toward the one that cooks on a griddle vs in the oven.

congrats on the scones. I’ve only done them from a mix. Were yours plain or spiced/fruited?
Old May 2, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
We made pretzels today with teens. The finished product looked nothing like pretzels, but they were gobbled up in minutes. Also made gluten free choc chip cookies with a little cream cheese for softness and to minimize the grittiness of GF flour. They are excellent.
Old May 2, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link. This website also looks fun for me.

big yay on your yeast. I never once imagined that I would have 3-plus pounds of active dry yeast.
omg they’re so good. Just made these today. Omg.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bread-rolls
corky and LapLap like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
recipe please?
Old May 3, 2020, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
omg they’re so good. Just made these today. Omg.

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bread-rolls
The recipe looks easy and the rolls look good, although I bet I can’t fold them as neatly. I’m going to try these this week.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
The recipe looks easy and the rolls look good, although I bet I can’t fold them as neatly. I’m going to try these this week.
it’s easy. They’re tasty. If I can do them, then everybody else can also do them. I never touched bread dough until yesterday.
exerda likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want to make blueberry muffins and more of these rolls today.
Old May 3, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the buns are still so good. Thank you LapLap for the link.

Another mom mentioned to me on FB that her family loves the Maangchi site!
Jaimito Cartero and LapLap like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.