Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ei Yi Yi....Kitchen Aid food processor/MagiMix bowls....keep or return?

Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic

Well, about a year ago, I purchased a very lightly used KA 590 Food Processor (Basically a consumer grade RoboCoupe, handmade in France, called the Magimix)...I have been using it for months and I love it. However, I noticed that the bowl and lid are cracked (I think they were cracked when I bought it). No worries, I say, I'll find some backup bowls on fleabay to have some on my 'inventory' shelf (you can take the girl out of a commercial kitchen, but you can't rid the brain of the concept of min/max inventory levels)

Well, bien sur, the bowls are NOWHERE to be found. Grr, should have checked stock before I bought. Oh well.

Well, okay, I bite the Black Friday bullet and purchased a new Magimix 3200xl food processor ($250, good deal, I think) from Williams Sonoma and some backup fleabay bowls. Well, they arrived yesterday, and lo and behold, the MagiMix bowls/lid/pusher work like a charm on the KA....even with the KA blades.

So, the question(s) on ze table

1. Anyone know how long do your MagiMix (or other high end FP) bowls last? I use the FP 1x a month to shred up 50lbs or so of cooked chicken for the pup. I'm thinking these new bowls will last me several years (they are NOT returnable). I do put them in the DW, but do not use heated dry.

2. Anyone know how often does MagiMix change out its designs? (wondering if I should keep the Magi as a backup if they change design every few years).

3. The money question, literally......Should I return the shiny new Magimix and keep the KA/Magibowl combo running until it dies? Or keep them both? I've got 2 extra MagiBowls, 1 lid (and I need a pusher, didn't realize the pusher is separate).

I don't have a ton of extra room to store it, but I could. I hate to blow money when I don't have to (and much prefer to run things until they die), but I hate to return the Magimix if its going to be replaced by a new model in a few years (and the bowls become obsolete).

Grr.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: too many
Return the new one and keep the old bowls

My grandma's had one Magimix for years (I remember seeing it when I was a teenager, so assume in the nineties), the bowl and Magimix are still in her kitchen.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Agreed to keep KA / MagiMix bowls and return the MagiMix Black Friday special. Sounds like you enjoy that KA FP as it is so I would just keep using it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.