Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Tea with milk please (BUT IT'S OOLONG TEA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tea with milk please (BUT IT'S OOLONG TEA)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:32 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Bubble tea shops (which are Taiwanese in origin) often have oolong milk tea as a menu option. I've never tried it, but I'd imagine that most if not all teas (with tea leaves, not teas like rooibos or yerba mate) will taste fine with milk.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Bubble tea shops (which are Taiwanese in origin) often have oolong milk tea as a menu option. I've never tried it, but I'd imagine that most if not all teas (with tea leaves, not teas like rooibos or yerba mate) will taste fine with milk.
Don’t they roast oolong before making it with milk? (Similar to how many of the Japanese green teas can be roasted to make hojicha; less bitter, with a “warmer”, nuttier flavour that would combine better with milk than its previous green identity - green matcha tea powder is different as it is so robust and assertive that it holds its own in milk drinks and desserts, same goes for other teas ground into powder). As I said, Oolong is its own world.

All I do know, having absent mindedly poured milk into green (Japanese sencha) tea when making it alongside English style black tea, is that not all teas taste fine with milk
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by onobond
Trying to expand my knowledge on black teas, especially into the Oolong variant, I'd conclude by finding I'm still confused, but on a higher level
Just to be clear, oolong tea is not a black tea. The species Camellia sinensis and its variants are used for many teas, including black, green, and oolong, but these are all different teas and with widely varying levels of oxidation.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by gengar
Just to be clear, oolong tea is not a black tea. The species Camellia sinensis and its variants are used for many teas, including black, green, and oolong, but these are all different teas and with widely varying levels of oxidation.
Thanks for expanding our knowledge.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh dear, tea with milk...
FLYMSY and synthkeys like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
When I was young, I would drink Lipton Tea with Milk. As I grew older and wiser, I now drink tea with just some sugar. This thread made me try tea with milk last week, and I ended up pouring it out after a few sips. I guess drinking fresh brewed ice tea as well as hot tea has changed my tastes over the years.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Oh dear, tea with milk...
I simply ask for "English Breakfast Tea" when in Asia and I would automatically be ask if I want milk with it.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:43 am

LOL...pretty entertaining thread.

Next time, just ask for "HK Cold Milk Tea" for a nice change of pace.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Visconti
LOL...pretty entertaining thread.

Next time, just ask for "HK Cold Milk Tea" for a nice change of pace.
Then you'd get the response that they don't have/can't make it on board because HK milk tea is made with a special steeping process and involves adding different forms of dairy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.